Why are bones gross?

Options

Replies

• katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. My collarbone sticks out like mad (it was where I first started to notice my weight loss), my hips bones, my ribs (if I stretch) and my boob ribs(that's totally not the right word, but it's the part below your collar bone, but between your boobs.)

Sternum. :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. My collarbone sticks out like mad (it was where I first started to notice my weight loss), my hips bones, my ribs (if I stretch) and my boob ribs(that's totally not the right word, but it's the part below your collar bone, but between your boobs.)

Sternum. :)

Hah, thank you.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Some bones are $exy, within reason...but it is also nice to have a bit of meat on the bone too. Not to mention, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My fiance saw this picture recently and said that she was too skinny.

anorexic-model.jpg

He said she was still beautiful, but she didn't look healthy and it was too much bone because he could see her ribs. He then said that his perfect woman would have meat on her like Beyonce, Shakira, or Kate Upton. However, not all men like a woman like that.

For myself I want some meat on my body, and as I age I defintely don't want any bones popping through. I think as we age women look better with a little meat.

It really is just based on personal preference. I personally think if you are healthy and happy then that is all that matters...your confidence will shine through.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am of the same mind frame- not sure why bones gross people out. I have a rather large rib cage so when I lost my weight, you can see my ribs a little bit, my collar bone, and my hips to stick out. I think some peoples body compositions are just like that, even at being a healthy weight.

It's when you see someone that is emaciated, you can count all the bones in there chest, back, sides, face- that is a little much and a sign of something terribly wrong- in my opinion.

I think as a society we are conditioned to believe that "bony" equals "unhealthy" but that is not always the case.

I agree with you.

I think it's normal for naturally thin people to have some visible bones. Hip and collar bones and maybe the bottom couple of ribs. If you can see more than a couple of vertebrae in the back - if you see bones that are not normally visible on other thin people - then there's maybe a reason for concern.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Excessive bones, maybe. like too much rib or vertebrae. But clavicles and cheekbones are gorgeous in my opinion.
  • polrbear
    polrbear Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross. I cried like a baby when I could see my collarbones again. :smile:

I did the same thing yesterday. Sobbed uncontrollably, like I forgot I even had them and they were some long lost friend.
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    Bones are definitely not gross, I can not wait to see my collarbones properly. They're starting to appear though =D
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    everyone has a personal opinion, it's not worng or right just a simple opinion. No different then people who think obesity is unattractive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any 'bones are gross' posts, but I guess it's just personal opinion. If a person is at a healthy weight it's almost impossible not to see some bones. At my heaviest my collar bones still stuck out. I have wide hip bones and mine stick out though my hips still measure 39 min! Some people's bones just show more than others.
  • tinyrah
    tinyrah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross. I cried like a baby when I could see my collarbones again. :smile:

Same here!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why are bones gross?

Well if you see my bones, that means I've been dead for awhile, which would be gross.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    71037_306746160249_5153582_n.jpg
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of women just starting their journey are saying bones are gross. Some MFP women are perfectly content with remaining in the overweight/obese catagory. And that is fine for them, but I feel bad when someone says "too thin" or "you can see her ribs" etc.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I see something I can't have.. I claim to dislike what ever it is to cover my frustration at not having it. Usually I fixated on one particular of the thing I can't have that I know others would also find issue with.

For example; " Eight million dollars is so heavy. I wouldn't want to carry that around all the time."
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bones on thinspiration pics are upsetting but normal weight bone are great. I love my hips bones

I love my hipbones too! I remember the day that I noticed that I could feel them. It was a great day!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    That i understand, and that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. But doesn't mean we are unhealthy!

Agreed.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Why are bones gross?

Well if you see my bones, that means I've been dead for awhile, which would be gross.
    lmao skellys are cool ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6WMbV5Op58
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much they show. Just because a person has some bones showing, it doesn't mean they're unhealthy or "too skinny"
    My collarbones show if I'm less than 150, but I have been 130 before and a perfectly healthy weight.
    My hips bones show slightly, more so when lying down, but I store most of my fat on my belly so it looks odd and lumpy.
    My ribs show when I stretch, change tops etc, but not when standing normally.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when it's gone too far though, and what goes beyond natural showing of bones.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross...they are the basis for our structure....however, being able to see every bone IN someone's body that is living....I would believe that is purely unhealthy. So long as the individual's health is not in a negative status, physicians see nothing impending from it...then I have nothing to say of it. But if they do...then I speak.

Thankfully, I appreciate all women's bodies because it's only part of WHO they are.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I weigh 170 and my hips, ribs and spine show through my skin and they feel so sexy and spur me to keep going. I dont think they are gross.