Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• jake1967
    jake1967 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes.It is weird but the mentality stays for a while ,anyway.For me at least.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine (whos quite thin) was talking about how she still mentally feels fat. even as she loses weight. shes currently the most fit and thin she's ever been and is increasingly unhappy and self conscious about her body instead of the other way around.

i think a lot of ppl experience this.

they get it stuck in their head that they look a certain way, and continue to judge themselves for how they looked at that time. the struggles and stress of weight loss i believe is a contributing emotional factor in this as well.
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I do feel like I'm still fat!
    I completely understand. I never stop surprising myself when I go for new clothes and it seems I need to now search the isles with the smaller clothing. I usually think it'll be too tight, and it ends up being a bit baggy on me! But it does boost my confidence some, so no harm done!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ::raises hand::

when people compliment them on my weight loss, instead of just saying thank you, i respond with the fact that I still need to lose 30-40 pounds. When i look in the mirror all I see is the weight still in my lower belly and my thighs and now all the saggy skin. :(

not sure I will ever look good without clothes on, and get sad but don't want to go back.

When I clothes shop I am still grabbing xxl tops and bottoms even though i am med/large top and large bottms
  • lisavino
    lisavino Posts: 7
    Options
    When I was a size 8 (135) I felt fat. I never would have thought that would now be my dream weight. Two kids later I've gained 90 pounds and I'm a size 18. I'm wondering if ill still feel that way when I do loose the weight.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep. 50 lb down, and the majority of that was lost 5 years ago...and I STILL feel fat. Sometimes I'll just stare at myself in pictures or in the mirror because I just can't believe it's me.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll just stare at myself in pictures or in the mirror because I just can't believe it's me.

I just did that today
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh my god yes. I've lost 22 pounds, but coming down from 190, that's over 10% of my total body weight, so it's a huge difference visually. I'm down 2 jean sizes and I can see hipbones that I didn't even know I had, and yet the pooch of my belly or the way my thighs still jiggle makes me see myself as that same person. I get so confused when I wear an outfit and see a small waist, or when clothes I've had for a while are super loose. My first thought is "when did this shirt stretch out so much?"
  • malibulu
    malibulu Posts: 79
    Options
    I definately still feel fat - I was at the doctors a few weeks ago (a doctor I've never met) and I made a joke about sitting on my daughters pap when she steals my chair... he said " oh, well I think I'm a bit bigger than you though ha ha ha" I felt this huge sense of pride as he didnt know that a year ago, I ws 4 stone heavier!! BUT still, I look at myself and don't like what I see. I still see the fat girl staring back at me. I know I've still got a fair bit to go, but still...
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm down almost 40 pounds and I still feel fat. I didn't start out that big either (started at just under 170 lbs, and I'm 5'6'').
  • andforpoise
    andforpoise Posts: 185
    Options
    totally!! I call it "fat girl mentality."
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do this a bit, but I seem to cycle from feeling great to feeling like someone is playing a trick on me and changing the size labels on my clothes, I guess my brain will eventually catch up to my body
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness YES!

I still look in the mirror and see a 220 lbs woman sometimes. I am totally shocked that I'm a size 12 now. Was an 18W (tight) before. It's just surreal, but also wonderful. I think I am also a size L tops, but I keep buying XL's though they are a little big.
  • alibab36
    alibab36 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes .

Only yesterday experienced it again . My last boyfriend told me he felt I was too skinny etc so said well he just likes bigger women so off you go . I am a American 2 or British 6 on top and 4/8 on bottom but I am petite . Yesterday had a first date with a new guy and he is into running fitness also . We were discussing our routines and I was saying I mostly lift now as my aim is not to lose more weight but to maintain and get strong . He replied well I am glad you said it as you are perfect as you are but any more and you would be too skinny . I am about 7 lbs lighter than profile pic so not exactly skin and bone but I am a petite build .

When I look in the mirror I see bingo wings and a muffin top with big thighs . I am working on this and only yesterday brought a pair of uk size12 jeans into the dressing room and ended up buying a 8 so my mind is not there yet . I am 18 months at this weight so no idea when it will catch up
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I will be delusioned when I get to my target weight. The illusive 11st 2 will be something to celebrate as it's been something I have been aiming for since I was 17! but I can't remember the last time I was 10 stone 7 which is my target weight so excited to see what I am going to look like!

I sometimes have delusional days when I think I am SMALLER than what I am, ie: when I have a good week, feel thinner etc and then try on a pair of trousers that were a bit tight last month and then get very disappointed when I can't fit in them yet! xxx
  • JenCat162
    JenCat162 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lindsaybherrera
    lindsaybherrera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! I will always feel like the fattest person in the room. I've lost 65 lbs from my heaviest and have 35 more to go, but in my head, I'm still 260+ pounds. My friends often correct me, and I try to correct myself. Having 2 daughters, it is important that they do NOT grow up with a mom who constantly rags on her weight. I still have to work on catching my mind up to my body. Looking at other pics on this forum and finding the ones that are around your weight really does help gain perspective. When I see other ladies who weigh around my where I am now, I remind myself that that is what I look like now. Not the old version of myself that is stuck in my head! It is a tough mental block to overcome for some of us.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!

I've gone down from 210lbs to 184lbs but most days i still feel as fat as i was before i started. Some days i even feel like i'm fatter than i was to start with!!!!!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I've lost almost 35 pounds, I'm eating healthy, working out like crazy in the gym and I feel skinny. The reality is that I'm still probably the biggest person in the room. I'm not sure which one is worse.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still look in the mirror and say, 'I'm still fat'.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!