How do YOU get through 30 min on treadmill, eliptical, etc?

Options

Replies

• kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    Tik Tok station on Pandora. If that bored me then I watch Once Upon a Time or Lost on my phone but since I've seen most of the episodes They are more like background noise to my cardio. I never understood how people could text/read while doing elliptical/treadmill. :sick:
  • brittanierrin
    Options
    I save a show I REALLY want to watch for my cardio time! I usually get so into the show I sort of "zone out" about how hard I am working on the eliptical. :smile:
  • getfitblondie21
    Options
    I love the stair-master at my gym but there is no tv attached makes it almost impossible to last the full 45mins. thinking about bringing my ipad with me but then I would just feel silly.

Anyone bring their tablets to the gym?
  • ctychick
    ctychick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's so funny! So true - that's pretty easy to do w/ HGTV or Food Network. I don't love the shows they've come up with recently (especially FoodTV - ridiculous), but I could see HGTV + being a good distraction for me.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Rap music. I also HAVE to mouth the words. It keeps me concentrated. People always look at me weird because I am a small brown girl mouthing rap music while running. LOL.

Nothing can keep me on an elliptical though, that **** is just SOOO boring.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to hike or run outdoors or do something fun like a Zumba DVD to machines, but when I do them I have to have high energy music that I like to get through it. I've tried TV but the problem for me is that I get too involved in the shows and find keeping a good pace difficult. Plus I don't have headphones for the TV and the machines are pretty loud. I do free step aerobics in front of the TV sometimes though.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I personally am not able to concentrate on a book or magazine when I am working out. If I slowed down my pace - maybe, but I'm not sure.

GREAT music usually, but I too enjoy having the TV on when I'm on a treadmill. Whatever distracts me from watching the seconds tic by, or looking at the distance thinking, "Oh, I'm never going to get there"!!!!

I know a lot of people who will go to the gym during their fav show (if the gym has the machines where you have your own TV) because they know they will be engrossed, and they will stay for the entire show (AND they ramp it up and go into turbo mode during commercials!)
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Netfix, to many commercials on regular tv. I put on a show or movie that is longer than my work out time. I have to be intrested in the show or the time just drags. I have not tryed listening to music.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't. The idea of stationary cardio exercise is quite frankly frustrating. I may do wii step along to a tv show, but that's only if I feel really guilty about dinner...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love yapping my face off with my work out partner...she makes the time fly. Or I watch tv.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If I'm inside on a treadmill or whatever, I HAVE to do intervals. I crank my ipod up and do intervals or make a game out of it, otherwise I'm bored to death and want to stop before I've finished a decent workout. I'll make it a game, like "Ok I'm gonna do 2 minutes as fast as I possible can, then 2 minutes to cool down, then 2 minutes on as high of as incline as I can..." etc. It breaks up the monotony. Oh, and Wheel of Fortune is usually on by the time I get to the gym, so if I'm on the stairmaster or treadmill, I seriously play the entire game. I occasionally catch myself yelling out answers at the gym...it gets awkward.

When I'm outside running on the trail, man I can just go forever (well, until I'm out of breath and exhausted anyway). I put on my headphones (not very loud outside, gotta be aware of my surroundings) and I just lose myself. We have this beautiful running trail that goes through the middle of the city around a section of the river and it's just so serene and peaceful, I seriously just lose track of time.
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    I take my Kindle and plop it down in front of the display of the elliptical. I set the amount of time I want to work out, and then just work out and read my book until it beeps that the time is finished.
    I find that I feel more tired and worn out if I am watching the display...you have burned x number of calories, and you have x minutes to go, etc.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmills at the Y and they have TVs on them, there's also a tv monitor of the daycare center so I can look up and see my kids during commercial breaks. Otherwise I look around at everyone else and see if they're struggling to keep up a good pace like me lol.
  • knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do haha!
  • ctychick
    ctychick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Re: Reading on the treadmill -

I never understood it either and definitely don't see it becoming a regular thing for me. However, the ability to jack up the font size on ereaders these days, it's easier for me to read in less than ideal places, like on the treadmill. In fact, for my entire life just the thought of reading in the car made me nauseous. Not a problem anymore since getting the Kindle. If I increase the font size a couple of notches, I'm good to go. It's one of my favorite perks of Kindle ownership!
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Music, music and more music! I got the live365 app on my iPhone for a huuuge variety of tunes :-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I listen to upbeat music and daydream...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Re: Reading on the treadmill -

I never understood it either and definitely don't see it becoming a regular thing for me. However, the ability to jack up the font size on ereaders these days, it's easier for me to read in less than ideal places, like on the treadmill. In fact, for my entire life just the thought of reading in the car made me nauseous. Not a problem anymore since getting the Kindle. If I increase the font size a couple of notches, I'm good to go. It's one of my favorite perks of Kindle ownership!

I can't do it on the treadmill, but I for sure bring my Kindle on the stairmaster with me. It's the ONLY way I can get through a long session on that devil machine!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love the burn!! And the results I am seeing are fantastic! I usually think about a thinner me..and it helps me get through. Eventually I zone out....LOL. Love the Elliptical!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Music baby!! Loud music!!! I open a window and let myself fade into the music!