Recommendations for fantasy, horror, sci-fi books?

Options

Replies

• bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I like Dean Koontz.

Fun house, hideaway and Intensity were a couple of my favorites he wrote.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you like urban fantasy - fantasy set in modern times rather than once upon a time - and don't mind hunting down a Canadian author, Charles de Lint has some wonderful books: Mulengro, Riddle of the Wren, Moonheart, Dreams Underfoot and dozens more, some short story collections too.

Any books by Neil Gaiman: Anansi Boys, American Gods, Coraline, Neverwhere, and on and on - so much good stuff there

I never really got into China Mieville, but his 'youth' novel Un Lun Dun is a fun read

For sheer 'can't stop reading this book' quality, thrillers in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs are wonderful reads, but take them in order if you can. Start with Relic.

I go along with whoever suggested the Ender books, Ender's game, etc. Fantastic series of books.

Classic SF for me would be Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy and any of his books in the Robot series, including the collections of short stories

And when Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle collaborate, wonderful things happen. Look for Lucifer's Hammer, Oath of Fealty, The Mote in God's Eye, Inferno, The Burning City

Robert J. Sawyers "Neanderthal Parallax" trilogy: Hominids/Humans/Hybrids is a very interesting read - when a connection opens between our world and a parallel world where Neanderthals thrived while Homo Sap disappeared, what would that world be like - and what happens when they meet?

I'm currently reading the second book in the Dragon Prince trilogy. The Star Scrolls, by Melanie Rawn. The first was great; this one is typical for a second book, so I'm expecting the third to be fantastic.
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dean Koontz's Watchers is a fun read, especially if you like dogs.

George RR Martin is my current fav as well. At least with his Song of Fire and Ice series, you'll be reading for a long time if you like it. Each of the 5 books is around 900 pages. You can add them to your strength training regimen.

Robert Heinlein: Glory Road or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Piers Anthony: On a Pale Horse (would've have made an excellent Johnny Depp movie)

And one more vote for anything Douglas Adams. Don't Panic.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another fantasy author... Mercedes Lackey....magic and other mythical creatures.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Peter F Hamilton - Commonwealth Saga -
    Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.
    Followed up with the Void Trilogy
    The Dreaming Void, The Temporal Void and The Evoloutionary Void

Frank Herbert - Dune (all the originals)
    Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson - The continuing story of the Dune universe.... multiple books

Kevin J Anderson - Saga of Seven Suns (7 book series)

Those are a few of my favorites.

Plus Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey and Anne Rice.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    There are so many good authors to choose from, but here's a few.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - Urban Fantasy.. think Phillip Marlowe crossed with Harry Potter. The books are great and the audio-books read by James Marsters are phenomenal. 13 books so far plus a collection of short stories. There are about 23 planned for the series and he produces roughly one a year.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - Fantasy. Classic storytelling of a young musician/thief/mage that will keep you turning pages. If you are impatient, you might not want to start these immediately. The third and final book in the series has a tentative release date of May, 2013. It's written already but Mr. Rothfuss does a lot of editing and re-writing (to the benefit of the story).

John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - Classic Pulp Science Fiction. You may know him better as the author of the Tarzan series, but before Mr. Burroughs had men swinging through the jungle he had them jumping around on Mars. The 11 book series is classic science fiction and inspired many authors who followed. The first 5 books are available free as eText editions at: http://www.johncarterofmars.ca/books.html
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    one second after..a local author, post apocalyptic type book.
    i enjoy artemis fowl, rangers apprentice, hunger games, star wars, 1984
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone!!!

So many good recommendations, My poor Visa will weep LOL
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you like urban fantasy - fantasy set in modern times rather than once upon a time - and don't mind hunting down a Canadian author, Charles de Lint has some wonderful books: Mulengro, Riddle of the Wren, Moonheart, Dreams Underfoot and dozens more, some short story collections too.

For those who like urban fantasy, Jonathan Carroll is definitely worth a look. Also, I the urban fantasy subgenre may have originated with the superb Little, Big by John Crowley which was published in 1981. Charles de Lint's first urban fantasy novel was published in 1984, so Crowley may win the prize as the parent of urban fantasy. :) Don't know if there's anything that definitely fits the urban fantasy mold 1981 ... can't offhand think of anything.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
    Any of Brandon Sanderson's books
    The Hollows series by Kim Harrison
    Any of Charlaine Harris' books (she has 2 series other than the Southern Vampire/Stackhouse/True Blood books)
    Mary Janice Davidson's Queen Betsy books are hilarious bits of fluffy vampire reading.
    The Saga of Recluse series by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
    Piers Anthony's Xanth books (fun and fluffy, young adult-ish)
    I used to like the Anita Blake books but I finally got sick of her in "The Harlequin". My tolerance for the phrase "metaphysical bull****" is absolutely shot.
    Neil Gaiman is awesome. If you get a chance to, check out his Sandman graphic novels.
    Another vote for China Mieville and his Perdido Station.
    Christopher Paolini (he started his first book in like 8th grade!)
    Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld series
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I highly recommend it. I'd start with the Drawing of the Three instead of Gunslinger though. "There are other worlds than these..." Roland the Gunslinger

Start with the "Drawing of the Three"???? HERESY!!!! The very universe is based on what happens in the first book, The Gunslinger.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stephen King - Full Dark No Stars.

I read it one night and finished it about 5 hours later and couldnt sleep for the rest of the night cause i was so freaked out.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Anything by Terry Pratchett or Tom Holt
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    HUNGER GAMES!!! I'm on the 2nd book of the 3 and I cannot put them down!!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I always reread "The Stand" when I'm up for something apocolyptic (Stephen King).

ABSOLUTELY. BEST. NOVEL. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chrisms84
    Options
    Ill recommend some of the Fantasy books ive read which I enjoyed:

Stephen King- The Dark Tower Series ( New book Wind Through the Keyhole comes out April 24th!)

J. R. R. Tolkien- The Hobbitt, as well as the LOTR (duh)

Joe Abercrombie- First Law Trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, & Argument Of Kings)

I am in the process of reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Very good read, the HBO series follows along to what ive read very well so far.

Dan Simmons- The Terror is an amazing book and may be one of my favorites the story is amazing. It's loosely based on actual events, I defintely recommend this.

The Walking Dead comics are also incredible, I've never read a comic before TWD and I read all 92 comics (at the time) over a week or so, great reads and quick as well.

Hope those suggestions helped.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I highly recommend it. I'd start with the Drawing of the Three instead of Gunslinger though. "There are other worlds than these..." Roland the Gunslinger

Start with the "Drawing of the Three"???? HERESY!!!! The very universe is based on what happens in the first book, The Gunslinger.

AGREE....Don't bother if you are not going to read The Gunslinger first. You miss out on so much of what the series is built on.....but I agree that the Dark Tower series is one of the best things I have ever read. It won't hurt to read Salems Lot, The Stand, and Hearts in Atlantis first though, cause they are all tied together.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    For fantasy - I strongly recommend the "A Song of Ice and Fire series" by George R. R. Martin. The first book is "A Game of Thornes".

I also really liked "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.....if you want something post-apocolyptic/very depressing.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - Fantasy. Classic storytelling of a young musician/thief/mage that will keep you turning pages. If you are impatient, you might not want to start these immediately. The third and final book in the series has a tentative release date of May, 2013. It's written already but Mr. Rothfuss does a lot of editing and re-writing (to the benefit of the story).

I just started the first one - I really like it. I was reading the Wheel of Time series and just needed a break from it. I like this book. I'd recommend it.

I also am a huge fan of LOTR - probably reread that every 3 or 4 years as well as The Stand.

Also a huge fan of the Dune series.

And as others have already recommended - the Song of Ice and Fire series is outstanding. Can't wait for the new season to start!
    I also have read a number of Neil Gaiman books and really enjoyed them. I have American Gods on my list to re-read.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Terry Goodkind camp as well.. I LOVE his "The Sword of Truth" series.