Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's sad but I still do. I have weight to lose still but I am short. So my current weight is around or even less than many normal adults. But often I will hesitate before doing something because I catch myself thinking, "am I too big for this?"

It's sad but those thoughts are becoming less frequent. Maybe they'll go away entirely one day.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I actually feel/see myself fatter now than I did 30+ pounds ago. It is like I was lying to myself before and now when I look in the mirror I do not like what I see. I see the positive changes, absolutely, but I see how very far I still have to go.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    That's me!
    You can call me Miss Inner-Fatty McFatterson!

I have and will forever more feel fat. I still can't get over that when I was 18 and a size 4 that I would cover myself up and call myself fat. What is wrong with me??? sheesh....lol
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have my moments when I do not feel like the "fat guy", but more than half the time I feel like the "fat guy".
  • yeaa, i still feel that way sometimes, its okay though its motivation for me to hit the gym hard!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes x 100. I don't think I will ever feel any different to now :(
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a size 22 to a size 12, and I STILL look in the mirror and think nothing's changed. I'm just hoping that my mind catches up with my body eventually!
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    I haven't lost much yet...12 lbs...but I've lost 2 jeans sizes, from a 16 to a 12. I find myself looking at size 12's in the store thinking they couldn't possibly fit my fat thighs, but then when I try them on, they fit like a glove. I also can fit into size large shirts but my mind always tells me XL even though those are way too big for me now. It's gonna take a while to get used to my new size and body shape and I'm sure it's that way for everyone.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes. I finally hit 20lbs lost this morning and I am currently wearing a pair pf pants that haven't fit in over 2 years. However, someone said today that I am ready for bikini season and my first thought was "No way! I am still way too big for that! Bikinis are for skinny chicks." I simply said thank you, even though my mind was saying something completely different.
    Guess it will take awhile for me to get used to this new figure and the one that is still waiting to emerge, since I am only halfway to my goal. But you are definitely not alone in your feelings. Hang in there!
  • DianeAuger
    Options
    Yes-I'm down from a size 18-20 to a size 8-10 and I still think I'm fat when I look in the mirror. I think we've just gotten so conditioned from years of being heavier that no matter how much we lose we have that self critical attitude of I'm still heavy. It's hard to lose that attitude sometimes.
  • lifestylechallenge
    lifestylechallenge Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs thus far and 24 inches. I decided to go shopping this weekend for some new clothes. While in the dressing room I seen that I am still FAT, and those 30lbs didn't do no justice at all. I still need to loose a lot more. I was hoping to have 50lbs gone by July so another 20lbs to go. It isn't easy I started this weight loss program in November with the Body By Vi shakes and now onto my second challenge. I only found out about this program 10 days ago but fine it extremely helpful. I just need to be more in a routine with exercising. So in regards to your topic yes I still feel fat and gross looking. Even tho so many people tell me I look great....
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't feel as heavy as I am. When I was thin, I felt heavier, if that makes any sense?
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day! Sometimes I look at myself and see how far I've come, other days I only see how big I still am. It helps to see side by side pics to really see the difference. My son (age 9.5) likes to come up and give me a hug. He'll tell me how much farther he can get his arms around me now:) I can see how happy he is that I am getting healthier, and that helps me to keep reality in mind. Because the reality is, while you still have a ways to go, you have come SO FAR, and you just have to confront yourself with the reality of that sometimes.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Even though this is a transition for me and I'm not done yet I've lost 25 lbs but I'm pregnant so while things are shrinking on my body (like my backside, and arms and chins) my stomach is growing and it's really screwing with my head that even though I'm losing weight, my body is also getting larger while this baby grows. It's hard for me but I think the idea of taking pictures of the transition will be good especially after I have the baby bc I feel like my body will then truly reflect the hard work while not having a huge belly on me.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85 lbs. and every time I look in the mirror, I see a 'still fat' version of me. I'd love to say 'OMG, that's just silly', but in reality, when you've seen the fat version of yourself every day for years, it's hard to look to the mirror, or a small clothing size, or a different - more shapely form of clothing {versus boxy - hide your fat rolls type clothing} and take a true stock of what is there. Will this change... probably. I go with the Fake It Till You Make It theory. The more I tell myself that I'm smaller... the more I believe it. It's not easy... some days I want to just squeeze my fat rolls until they fall off, which won't happen, but I want to. It's hard to love your body when you spent so much time doing terrible things to it.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I've lost almost 90 pounds and still fight the "fat" mentality. I'm hoping it will change soon.
  • Debrioja
    Debrioja Posts: 1
    Options
    I have felt this way for a long time.
    It takes a lot of effort to maintain a certain weight
    Even though I have succeeded on my
    Weight loss, but truly that thought will never
    Go away. This thought will keep me from
    Gaining weight.;(
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    58lb and 4 dress sizes down, I look in the mirror and see nothing different. I look down at my body and see nothing different. I have more energy, and when I took a photo a few days ago the difference was striking, but still. The woman in the mirror, and the body I look at, is as fat as ever.

Sad, isn't it? I wonder why we do this.

<This>
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it's so much that I 'feel' fat... It's just that I've been fat for so long that it's almost instinctual to head for the larger clothing. It feels odd that I fit into some of the clothing that I do.

When I originally lost my 50lbs, I had the problem of thinking I was still fat, even though I was fitting comfortably into an American size 7 pants and even squeezed into a slightly stretchy size 5.

I gained that weight back, and I am busy working it off again, but I do still feel that I am not comfortable or confident with my body. You wouldn't catch me dead in a bikini because I don't feel like I would look good in it - hell, I know I wont. Because of toning, I can tell that I lost my back fat, and that weird second *kitten* I had. However, as far as I am concerned, I still have this huge and horrible belly that wont go away. My friends would backhand me if they heard this, because they see the difference and tell me that I am losing the belly, but I really don't see it. Even when I had dropped to 140lb back in the day, I still had the belly. It's all I ever see.

I don't know. It's all messed up as far as I'm concerned. Yay media and poor self image =D
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I feel as big as I did the day I started.. Sometimes I feel fairly skinny but it soon wears off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!