Humor -Growing up without a Cell Phone

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    One day my daughter and i were sitting on the patio at chick fil a and a woman was rolling her window down with her hand (the kind that you use the handle instead of the button) and my daughter (she was 8 or 9 at the time) says "mom what is that woman doing?" i reply "she is rolling her window down" my daughter's response was "with her hand?!?!?!?!". Aye dios mio! :noway:

BoomBoom , lol...that's funny right there !

Bless her heart! She still says "I dont get it" when we tell the story.

You could always buy her a '99 Chevy Cavalier to "get it"... *lol* I remember all my friends that owned one of those had the hand crank for the window...
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    And when you had to get somewhere you had never been, you had to look at a map or have a tedious conversation with someone who gave directions in a way that you had no clue what they were talking about.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    One day my daughter and i were sitting on the patio at chick fil a and a woman was rolling her window down with her hand (the kind that you use the handle instead of the button) and my daughter (she was 8 or 9 at the time) says "mom what is that woman doing?" i reply "she is rolling her window down" my daughter's response was "with her hand?!?!?!?!". Aye dios mio! :noway:

BoomBoom , lol...that's funny right there !

Bless her heart! She still says "I dont get it" when we tell the story.

You could always buy her a '99 Chevy Cavalier to "get it"... *lol* I remember all my friends that owned one of those had the hand crank for the window...

i used to roll in a 1992 Chevy Cavalier RS baby! big pimpin'
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My friends and I thank the universe that we didn't have cell phones when we were in our 20s ... The pictures would have done us in....

^^^I think 'this' all the time....thank goodness...and on the off chance someone did take pictures, they are most likely in a dusty shoebox somewhere....not plastered all over the internet :-)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I can related to most of it except the hitting. My parents never struck us and no one else would EVER be allowed.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Great stuff, thanks OP.

I am 50. When I was growing up, we did not have a dishwasher (except for my sister & I), no dryer for our clothes, no microwave. Mom was afraid of our first microwave oven...lol.

I learned to drive in a car with no power steering, no power windows & locks, no air conditioning with only a AM radio in it. :ohwell:

Who remembers CB radios? How about a deck of cards clipped to your bike spokes? Someone mentioned typewriters...when I was in college, that's how our term papers were done. Ah, so many memories, thanks OP. Yea, I am old like that. :tongue:
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Why do these always have to include the entry about child abuse? Do you purposely set out to ruin it, or does it come naturally?

Why do your posts always have to be rude? Do you purposely set out to ruin it, or does it come naturally?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I mean...shhhhhhhhh, don't make eyecontact and just ignore her and she might just.... go away.....
    YOU MEAN SHE IS SERIOUS ABOUT THIS????:noway:
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I used to roll in a red, 1992 Cavalier, too!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I used to roll in a red, 1992 Cavalier, too!

OMG twinsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg

Boy does that bring back memories.
  • giraffells
    giraffells Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh and miss my childhood:) I was just going through these with my daughter (13) about how easy they have it!
    Thank you for a good trip down memory lane
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your *kitten* and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!
    NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

I have often use the line. "I didn't have a TV remote when I was your age, If I want the channel changed I had to punch your uncle (ie my little brother) in the arm"
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your *kitten* and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!

I have often use the line. "I didn't have a TV remote when I was your age, If I want the channel changed I had to punch your uncle (ie my little brother) in the arm"

You know what was worse? A show that came on that you had to miss because of school or work. DVR was not around!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm so old that we had 8 tracks in our family station wagon and only an AM radio while growing up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have only seen 8 tracks and their player in movies or in this junk shop I used to clean when I was a teenager. :wink:

8-tracks were odd in that they never ended, they'd just re-play from the beginning with no notice that you'd heard all the songs. I can well remember riding around with friends argueing over whether we'd heard the entire album and it was time to switch the tape.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i remember there were the 2 dials on the tv. uhf and vhf. sometimes you had to turn both. and there would be that clicking noise every time you changed the channel. not to mention you sometimes you had to move the rabbit ears around for better reception. and every time the vacuume cleaner was on, the tv would get fuzzy.
  • mudpuddlegirl
    Options
    So, my 14 year old came across one of my old record albums and said, "Mom is this an antique CD?" :laugh:
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You know what was worse? A show that came on that you had to miss because of school or work. DVR was not around!

I remember the family that got the first VCR on our street. It was 1977, oh boy I'm dated, and they taped the Superbowl. We thought that was amazing. I remember it being huge.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    HEY...DO YALL REMEMBER ALL THE DIALS ON THE TELEPHONE...AND IF YOU MESSED UP. YOU HAVE TO HANG UP THE TELEPHONE AND REDIAL 7 NUMBERS AGAIN....HA HA
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    AND WHATS UP WITH OVER 100 CHANNELS...WE HAD 5 CHANNELS...THATS IT....AND IF THE ANTENNA BROKE, YOU STICK PLIERS IN THERE...HA HA....AND ON SUNDAYS AT 12NOON...GODZILLA OR KING KONG CAME ON...I KNOW SOMEBODY IS SAYING WHO IS THAT!!