Salad Dressing

Options
Tanya_IP
Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
Ok so I of course am in love with ranch dressing! But since my healthy life style change i have been using paul newmans raspberry and walnut dressing. Its so good. But I was wondering what other dressings I might like so though people out there on MFP world could tell me what they like best! And if anyone makes their own can you give me the recipe please :) Thanks everyoen for the input!

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite side of that opinion from you.....I hate ranch dressing. The only mayo or cream based salad dressing I eat is bleu cheese.

The one store bought dressing I like is Girard's greek with feta. It's an oil and vinegar base, with a lot of seasoning in it. It's a strong taste, so a little goes a very long way.

For a basic homemade balsamic vinegrette:
    In a small to medium bowl combine: 2-3 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp fresh finely minced garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder, pinch of kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper, about 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. Whisk together. While continuing to whisk, drizzle in a steady thin stream of extra virgin olive oil. Continue to whisk and add oil until the mixture in the bowl thickens a little and takes on a shine (will probably double the original volume). You'll end up with 1/2 - 3/4 cup total, but only use 1-2 tsp for a good size personal salad.

If you're unfamiliar with balsamic vinegars and olive oils and don't have a small market near you that might allow taste testing, go with a balsamic that is imported from Italy. Balsamic from Italy is generally better than domestic brands and doesn't tend to cost much more. As for olive oil, definitely go for extra virgin. If you can find one that is listed as a first cold pressing, or is darker green in color, those will generally have a stronger olive flavor to them. Colavita first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is my current personal preference.
  • Tanya_IP
    Options
    Thank you! Thats a lot of info! And i dont know that much about olive oil or baslamic vineger! This was very helpful
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you like ranch, eat ranch. Choose one made with quality ingredients and make room for it in your daily calories.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I use bolthouse farms dressings. I just tired there ranch and love it!!!!
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like the Ken's Steakhouse brand Light Honey Mustard Dressing. I also love love love ranch and I usually use the Hidden Valley Light Buttermilk. Sometimes I make my own homemade low-cal ranch using the Hidden Valley packet, fat free buttermilk, and light or fat free mayo. YUM! :flowerforyou:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like just a drizzle of flavorful olive oil with a splash of vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice. But if you like creamy dressings you might try making one using Greek yogurt as a base.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    Love the raspberry vinegrette. I also like "Lighthouse salsa ranch light" in the cooler section by the bagged salads. Soooooo yummy! Low Cal Creamy dressings don't taste that great to me, but this one is delish!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I mix full flavored ranch with a little skim milk or water to make it go further. I also mix salsa with ranch for taco salads and that makes it go much further within the calories. Good luck!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I adore Maple Grove Farms of Vermonts Caesar dressing, its the best thing Ive ever had and tastes just like the real thing!
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things on salads lately is simply using fresh herbs- cilantro or mint. Arugula adds a delightful flavor to your salad. If you need something to take away any dryness of the salad, try some rice vinegar and olive oil. It's surprisingly good.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I use Nanko rice vinegar roasted garlic flavor its about 20 cals per tbs and I only use 1 tbs. Its pretty strong tasting so you wont need any more than that. I like it on tuna, and all my salads. or lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing. TASTY!!
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    lowest calorie bottled dressing i have found is Kraft italian light. That's pretty good too.
    I think it has 35 cal. for 2 tbls
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Ranch is my favorite dressing and I have just the recipe for you!!!! Trust me, it's DELISH! It may not sound it but it is!

1 cup cottage cheese
    4 tsp of the ranch dressing packet
    1/4 cup water (you can use milk if you want) I never needed to!
    Blend it until it is completely smooth, you can add more liquid if its too thick. That's it! You get to have a whole 1/4 cup of it for only 50-55 calories depending on what cottage cheese you use. It will also be a little bit more if you use milk!

I did not believe this recipe was going to be any good. Sure enough, it's the closest HEALTHY to REGULAR tasting ranch I have ever had!!!
  • humanreplica
    Options
    This
  • Beeazlebub
    Options
    Ranch dressing is actually very healthy for you.
  • pennysmom1
    pennysmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like the following:

Panera Rasberry Vinaigrette (20 calories for 2 Tbsp) --- good with apples, feta cheese, & almond slivers
    Panera Fat Free Poppyseed (15 calories for 2 Tbsp) -- good with strawberries or blueberries
    T. Marzetti Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (25 calories for 1 Tbsp) -- good with onions, tomato, cucumber, & Cabot 50% fat free cheddar

Plus the following mixture that I use:

T Marzettis Light Honey Mustard Dressing (45 calories for 1 Tbsp) ** MIXED WITH ** Walden Farms Honey Dijon Calorie Free (0 calories for 1 Tbsp) -- good with hardboiled egg, tomato, and sunflower seeds -- OR good with mandarin oranges, grilled chicken, & La Choy crispy rice noodles
  • Tanya_IP
    Options
    Ranch is my favorite dressing and I have just the recipe for you!!!! Trust me, it's DELISH! It may not sound it but it is!

1 cup cottage cheese
    4 tsp of the ranch dressing packet
    1/4 cup water (you can use milk if you want) I never needed to!
    Blend it until it is completely smooth, you can add more liquid if its too thick. That's it! You get to have a whole 1/4 cup of it for only 50-55 calories depending on what cottage cheese you use. It will also be a little bit more if you use milk!

I did not believe this recipe was going to be any good. Sure enough, it's the closest HEALTHY to REGULAR tasting ranch I have ever had!!!
    Im going to try this!! Thank you!
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    Try this one:

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Ingredients
    ½ cup lowfat buttermilk
    ¼ cup canola mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon, basil or dill
    (1 teaspoon dried basil is good)

Directions
    Whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in herbs.
  • Tanya_IP
    Options
    This is all sounding so good thanks everyone! Im getting hungry for a salad now lol
  • roxlen75
    roxlen75 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a good dressing too!