Snacking....how do you fight the urge?

Options
i know we all have to fight the snack monster but my question to you all is how do you do it? For me i love grocery shopping! I'm like a little kid when i enter a supermarket. I like to pick up all the yummy snacks that i used to eat and check the nutrition info and i can tell you that i end up putting it right back on the shelve. By reading whats actually in the snacks and the caloric information makes me want to run away and head to the gym. i have lost about 30 lbs in 3 months i have times where i " fall off of the wagon" and eat a slice of cake but i dont over do it or do it too often because now i actually know how bad that stuff is for you. I'm sharing this in hopes that i can inspire someone to reach their goals. take your favorite snack and read the label and add up the calories and fat for the week or month or how ever often you eat it and i bet it will make you change what you eat. :wink:

Replies

• kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I just drink water. And I think about my goals that I want to achieve for myself. And that usually works. I also add in a little work somewhere. Usually when I'm busy doing something, I won't think about eating...lol
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    such a great idea. :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If I feel hungry, I eat.

Simple as that.

Actually no I lie. :smile:

I drink water but if I still feel hungry, I will get some fruit or something healthy. I do give myself a 'semi' cheat day where I will have one 'bad' food.

Making snacks ahead of time is a nice way to curb the snack monster. Also, when I go grocery shopping, I do it on a full stomach. Otherwise, very easy to listen to the hunger pangs and pick up the gummies, chips, chocolates, etc etc

19688575.png
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Green tea! It helps suppress hunger! :smile:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If I can go shopping I will. Takes my mind off of food/snacks/ everything. Or my fav, go to bed early if you get the urge to snack at night lol. sucks but sometimes it's the best choice.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My snacking revolves around 2 things- simple sugars, and my head.

If i snack on simple sugar carbs like fat free twizzlers, crackers, or cereal,
    30 minutes pass I crave more. So step one for me is to avoid the foods that
    "trick me" into thinking I'm hungry. Instead, if I'm truly hungry, I go for greek yogurt,
    a handful of almonds, or some string cheese.

In addition, I had lost focus recently on portion sizes and how often I was eating.
    I talked to my trainer and he had me actually increase my calories from 1250 to 1500
    and has me eating every 2-3 hours. This way I can "look forward" to the next time
    I'm scheduled to eat.

So far it's working well for me! 8)
  • flong1975
    flong1975 Posts: 56
    Options
    For work, I schedule in 3 snacks for the day and if I am still hungry, I drink more water or fresh brewed green tea.... I am on my third 32 oz water bottle since 9AM ... needless to say, I am hungry a lot - that was always part of my problem... healthy lifestyle or not!! I love to eat! LOL On the weekends, I am always on the go so I do not snack as much....
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Me? I drink some water. If that doesn't work then I eat a pickle.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do a work-out. After Jillian Michaels beats me up, it's been a half hour, AND I'm no longer hungry. It gets me to my next meal.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm a bugger, i end up snacking but work my calories to include all my snacks :)
  • cindylay
    cindylay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat frequent snacks with at least 10 g protien and 4 g fiber. This fills me up. Try to keep it under 200 calories and low glycemic so it will hold you for longer periods of time. Greek yogurt w/frozen berries == yum!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'll have a piece of fruit usually.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Since adding water to my diet (used to drink only tea and decaff coffee and hot chocolate), I seem to get far less urge to snack and binge, I guess I was mostly confusing thirst for hunger in the past. But I do have treats if I have exercised and want a bit of chocolate etc.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky in that I find it easy not to snack madly. Snacks are health and necessary to keep your energy levels up, but as always, it's just what you choose. I'm more of a savoury person that one to go for sweets or biscuits, but do love a pork pie! If my body tells me it wants to eat, I don't try and cheat it and might have some cheese or my current favourite are the choc chip snack-a-jacks (UK) which seem huge but are very low in calories (and no fat). If i want cake, I'll have a slice... And just offset it against the rest of that day's meals.

Simples!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky in that I find it easy not to snack madly. Snacks are health and necessary to keep your energy levels up, but as always, it's just what you choose. I'm more of a savoury person that one to go for sweets or biscuits, but do love a pork pie! If my body tells me it wants to eat, I don't try and cheat it and might have some cheese or my current favourite are the choc chip snack-a-jacks (UK) which seem huge but are very low in calories (and no fat). If i want cake, I'll have a slice... And just offset it against the rest of that day's meals.

Simples!

Those choc chip snack-a-jacks were lethal for me, I would end up eating half the packet in one go, lol.
    Fortunately they no longer sell them in my local asda, or I might be in trouble.
  • carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband does the grocery shopping because I can't be trusted in there! =) That's how I fight the urge!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't. I schedule my snacks instead. This is one thing my OCD is extremely useful for!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Drink water, brush my teeth, chew gum, or drink a cup or 2 of coffee.
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Green tea? I've heard that its good for you. I will be sure to pick some up today and give it a try. Thanks! :smile:
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log all my food and that way I know what I'm going to have and then I just have something thats on my list. I have some snacks in the house that arent too high in carbs or sugar like suger free jelly and skips so if i do need something i can. but when i get the urge to snack, or say i feel hungry, i always drink water then wait half hour, if i still want it then i no its not just an impulse thing