Is trust earned or do you give trust until they break it?

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
I am the oldest of 3 girls. I grew up in a dysfunctional home with an alcoholic father who would be out every weekend while my mom would frantically go out looking for him leaving me in charge at 3am. They'd come home, physically fight, scream, etc... all while I would shield my 2 little sisters from seeing them as we huddled up in the corner crying.

Okay sad story but that's what I was dealt with as a child and I've healed from most of it. My parents are now pastors, completely different people than they were then.

I've healed as far as I don't blame my parents for anything... they didn't know better. I understand now that it's MY responsibility to get my life where I want it to be.
I've healed by working on my daddy issues and no longer need a man or have the fear of a man leaving me.

But, now that I'm divorced and dating, I've been told by 2 guys that I'm hard shelled/ mysterious/ hard to read.
When I've had serious talks with dates, I'll open up and explain how I'm one that has a few friends that will die for me and vice versa. I don't have a big group and I prefer it that way. I trust my friends completely but it took time. You just have to earn it with me. It doesn't mean I test you or don't open up to you but I do take my time when doing so.
One guy told me he trusts everybody until they break it which to me, doesn't make sense.
Another guy I recently dated said it was probably because of my divorce, in which my ex cheated. I kindly told him that I didn't think so.. I've always been this way. I've always taken time to quietly observe a person and see if they're worth my trust... and once I see they are, I'm loyal and will gladly die for them, give them my all.

I am a very happy person. I'm a sweet girl. I'm loyal, and I'm the one that will make you laugh when you're down. I truly care about those in my circle. I'm optimistic and bubbly. I'm not a cold or bitter at all. I just choose not to trust just anybody. But I don't want to be known as "hard" (whatever that means) once they start getting to know me.

And the only way I think they think this is because when they sweet talk me, I won't swoon right away. I won't fall for it immediately. And so far, I'm right. The only guy out of the bunch that I've dated so far, that I have let in, is one of my closest friends now. I see him 2 times a week usually. We are very close but he proved to me that I can trust him and he's now in my circle. He cares about me and I can see it.
The other guys who used their words to try to get me to do whatever they wanted... are gone? Moved on to the next one only proving my point that they're not worth my trust.

Can anybody relate? I'm sure it has to do with how I grew up... but why is that bad?

Replies

• Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the less than happy childhood doll and it just became clear why we get along so well.
    I can relate a bit with you on some things.

I believe trust is earned and it takes time. I don't just willingly give it. A little bit a time over time and slowly build a foundation that usually can't be cracked.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have a split right down the center on this between those who will say that they trust everyone until that trust is broken - I don't get it either, to me it's just handing someone an axe and saying here hit me in the head - and those who prefer to make people earn their trust. Unfortunately - and please MFP prove me wrong - I figure it'll turn into the kind of conversation where people attack other people's views rather than accept that people are different.

I for one would never expect someone to trust me without my earning it.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was one of those from a dysfunctional family as well. Pretty much same scenario as you, except I was the younger child. My folks are both deceased, and I am very realistic about my former life, and have grown and moved past it all. It took me until I was 36 to do it, but I finally have.

That being said, for some odd reason, I would trust and believe in ANYONE right off the bat. Then in 2004 when something traumatic happened to me, my trust for everyone became jaded. I didn't trust anyone, and refused to open up. I went from one extreme to the other. Now, almost 10 years later, I have learned to balance my trust of people. I don't trust people implicitly right away, and I too, believe complete trust, (or what we humans are capable of giving) is earned. No sense in getting burned when just a little time and caution could prevent heartache. I think we all have a small "sixth sense" of who we should or shouldn't trust. I think we are given that for a reason, and it's best to trust your instincts.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    As a woman I tend to think it's irresponsible to automatically trust a man just for personal safety. If a guy thinks it's worth commenting on, that would tell me they are used to dealing with women who don't have the greatest boundaries in place & that I'm pretty smart for not trusting him right away.

I think in new relationships women should be kind yet cautious. Don't go assuming the guy's a turd who will steal your money, but give it enough time for him to build a history of being trustworthy with you. And that just comes down to doing what you say you're going to do. Your word is good when you prove you mean what you say.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I'm curious to see if those that don't trust right away, was it because of a childhood experience?
    For me, it's not only with men. I don't have a problem with men. This is with anybody. I don't think everybody is going to hurt me, I definately do NOT use the victim card, I just don't see why I should give myself to you for- nothing?
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I can relate because I am that way as well. Though I can be a very trusting person I always keep my guard up. I have always been like this as well and the times where I decided not to keep my guard up it ended up biting me in the *kitten*. I can completely relate to this as there are sooo many untrust worthy people out there.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Trust is earned. I don't give it lightly and, once broken, I never give it to that person again.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Earning my full trust is like winning an olympic gold medal, it doesn't come easy and you have to earn it. It takes a long time to truly earn someone's trust. It comes from actions and situations that can only happen over a period of time.

Trusting someone off the bat is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Would you give a stranger your car keys?

Now, yes there are different levels of trust and maybe I went to deep. lol
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I cautiously give people a limited amount of trust at first...but not with "major" issues. Then, if they do not abuse that trust, the amount of trust that I give them grows. I guess, looking at it that way, the trust must be earned. But I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt upon first meeting until they show me that they are not trustworthy. That being said, I have a lot of experience in dealing with some pretty unsavory people, and for the most part, my first impression of people is usually right. I steer clear of those that I can rule out through my intuition and experience, and tend to trust the others more.....
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    As a woman I tend to think it's irresponsible to automatically trust a man just for personal safety. If a guy thinks it's worth commenting on, that would tell me they are used to dealing with women who don't have the greatest boundaries in place & that I'm pretty smart for not trusting him right away.

Interesting that you say that.

I remember 1 guy I dated for several months and he'd comment on how I wouldn't give him any slack because I wouldn't fall for his sweet nothings. I know better! Actions speak louder than words... and of course, his didn't match up. I was right.
    2nd guy that mentioned it is the one I talked about earlier who said he trusts you until you break it. He's the friend that I'm talking about though. And now that we've known each other for 2-3 months, I know a lot more about him than he does about me. I am opening up to him though and slowly he knows more and more about me.
    3rd guy that mentioned it called me "hard" which offended me. I'm approachable. I'm always smiling and am sweet. (I do stand up for myself though for sure) All because I told him that I take time in believing what people say to me, including him. He knew I wasn't going to fall for a BS line he gave me. From that point on, his nickname for me was "my little hard shell". :angry: Funny thing is, HE WAS LYING. He had told me he and his gf were in a custody battle over his kid (I pretty much checked out right then and there) but once he went back home to California, I see that it wasn't his gf.. it was his WIFE who he still lived with but was "seperated". Uh-huh. I didn't fall for it for a reason and good thing I didn't.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Same here except I was the youngest. It hurt me the most because I didn't grow up with any men period. My grandpa died when I was one, no uncles or brothers. No men period, My mom never dated. Ever. That's a whole other story. I usually trust people right off the bat. I don't go with the earning thing. No clue why.
  • kdc0587
    kdc0587 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you haven't given me reason to not trust you, you have my trust. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to confined in you not to tell something personal. I think there's different levels of trust. Everyone has that trust that they won't lie to me or about me, etc... Then, the more I know you, the deeper the trust level goes --- such as I trust you to keeps my secrets per-say. Once you break my trust, I don't turn around & give you a second chance with 100% trust. Whoever broke my trust, has to PROVE their selves to me over time. Prove to me that breaking that trust will never happen again. I'm not fast about re-giving someone my trust. Break it a third time & I'm done with you --- no if, ands, or buts about it. Why be friends with a person who can't even keep your trust?
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i guess there are different levels of trust.

everyone gets the standard shallow level of trust til they break it.

but true trust has to be earned.

if you work by trusting everyone fully, you are just setting yourself up to be used and hurt. most people lie, even if it's "oh you look great in that", or "I love your hair". most people b!tch about others behind their backs. so i focus on not wasting my time on people who aren't genuine. and there are millions of them, trillions.

i'd prefer some honest, genuine imperfect friends, (even just a couple) to 100 acquaintances that you can't rely on. i learnt when i moved overseas, who my real friends were, and who dropped away, and it was liberating to know i don't have to waste my time on 30 - 40 people, just a handful. now i know who to be there for, and now i know who deserves my precious time, and many, well, i'm still friends with you, i'm just not going to break my back to do things for you.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    as a few others have said, I give everybody a 'neutral' card. i don't fully trust or distrust them. They get a limited amount of trust, like "ok I trust you enough to loan you $20"

As the friendship continues, they build more and more trust. Depending on what they do to break trust, they lose a certain amount of trust from me. This is the same for friends and family...if they break my trust enough, I cut them put of my life. Yes, I have had to do that to family. I have no regrets whatsoever either.

It basically stems from the way I was raised and treated by friends and family. People say, "you only have one family" but I don't think that should be a 'free card' for them to treat you so horribly, especially when they cannot even apologize. I know you cannot go through life not trusting people, and thinking they will all treat you the same, but you gotta ask yourself, "where is the cut off point? I respect myself too much to continually be treated like someone's doormat"
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well except for the scary childhood part I almost thought that was my own writing.

I am "hard". There's walls and barriers that are very hard to break down. I've learned that most people cannot be trusted. I recently let a guy "in". Let the walls come down. Not all of them. But slowly over time I started to let him into my world. And that has ended. And the walls are right back up again.

Dating sucks. I think it's been one mess after another and making my walls thicker.

Mine comes from childhood--a messy relationship with my mother and a father who doesn't have a backbone to stand up to her. And my ex-husband cheated.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I agree with the different levels of trust & the money thing amongstwaves mentioned is actually a good barometer of my trust level with people.

If I just met you, no, I wouldn't loan you $20.
    If we've known each other a little while but not long enough for me to get an idea of how well you honor your commitments, no, I wouldn't loan you $20.
    If I DO have an idea of how reliable you are, sure I'll loan you $20. If you pay it back when you say you will, that will go a long way towards building a stronger friendship based on trust. If you don't pay it back, I am off the hook for ever loaning you money again (yay). No hard feelings. I won't be an *kitten* to you, but loaning money will never again be a part of our relationship by your choosing. (BTW, never loan anyone more money than you can afford to lose. Words to live by.)
    If you are someone who has proven time & time again you do what you say & have been a great friend to me unconditionally, I'll give you whatever you need whenever you need it & may or may not ask for it back.

No, I don't have trust issues stemming from childhood. Funny this topic came up, earlier today I just posted a status indicating that my trust issues stem from raisin cookies masquerading as chocolate chip cookies. Not sure that's something I'll ever get over.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It's earned. I had a recent friend I had given my trust to, and now realized that was stupid of me. Time to trust less!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Trust is earned. I don't give it lightly and, once broken, I never give it to that person again.

This.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

^^^ This - I came from a dysfunctional family as well, and I too have few friends I would do anything for, but trust is an issue for me - because people say I too am hard shelled because I dont just randomly hand out trust like a box of kleenex.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I say its a bit of both. It takes me a LONG time to trust anybody 100% but if they break my trust on the way to getting to that 100% I'l never trust them again .Also due to various past issues .