Runners with small children

Options
2»

Replies

• KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I dont run myself, but a family friend has an almost 6 yr old boy that she puts in the BOB stroller and runs with twice a day everyday she is super dedicated. She gives him a book while hes in there, a sippy and a snack, usually hes super happy just enjoying the ride. My son is 3 and goes in my Jeep Jogging stroller still while I jog around the block, he loves it hell cheer me on saying "faster mommy go faster!" lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Stupid question.. but do high schools/middle schools mind if you go and run on their track? If I wanted to use it, should I ask for permission?
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'm just going to try and wake up early to go. Which is sad because I'm NOT a morning person lol.

Can you go after the kids go to bed? I am able to use my lunch hour right now but for a long time all I had was the time after bed:) I would put her to bed about 8 and hit the gym or go out to run. I found if I got dressed as soon as I got home from work and before I started dinner I was more likely to follow thru with going.
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    I have a four year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I was running a 5K last September and the person who was going to watch my kids got lost. I ran the whole race pushing the worst double stroller with 80lbs of stuff in it. I still occasionally want to run and have the kids, so I will go out and run with them in the double stroller. My son loves it when I run. If I stop he tells me to run again. Just recently we got my son a bike, and I did get handed down a single running stroller, for a little bit I ran while he rode, both my daughter in the stroller and my son thought that was cool.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Stupid question.. but do high schools/middle schools mind if you go and run on their track? If I wanted to use it, should I ask for permission?

I'm a teacher, and I have to say, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having to ASK to use the track... As long as they aren't having a practice on it, I don't think anyone would care. :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

It may depend on the school. With our two schools, one has you register for a pass and you pay $2 to use it for the whole year. The other one is free but you can only use it during non-school hours and no registration necessary.

I almost always run when my husband is home to watch the kids. On rare occasions I take them to the outdoor high school track.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I completed couch to 5k lasy july and i have a 3 year old daughter. I ran in the evening after she was in bed and my husband was home. I run with my running club on tuesday nights now. During the weekend, we'll go to the park and my hubby will watch her whilst i run a few laps and then i'll join them in the park.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old weighs 37 pounds, so she still fits nicely in the Bob stroller. Granted, we sometimes have to stop and pick flowers, but it's still better than sitting on the couch.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have two kiddos, age 5.5 and 2.5.... and I run with them in a double jogging stroller about once a week. A few other times a week I run with just the 2.5 year old while the 5 year old is at school. My 5 year old loves to ride in the stroller, with a snack, her camera, and a book or two. I got a double jogging stroller with the highest weight limit I could find, so as to make her more comfortable and not as squished. She's good for about a 30 minute run, which is all I really need.

A few items, try get a fixed wheel stroller. You should NOT run with a swivel wheel stroller swiveling, and I've seen a few come unpopped even from the fixed positon and tip while in use. It is harder to steer a fixed wheel, but it is much safer, IMHO. I got my jogging stroller (single) free from a neighbor, and bought my double fixed wheel stroller off of Craigslist.

I end all of my runs at a neighborhood park, so that the kids get rewarded for sitting in the stroller with a play session at the park. I also give them a special snack for the runs, and sometimes play their music on my phone for them to sing along to as I run (Mulan, other Disney songs).

If you run on a school's track, they usually don't let you run during school/afterschool hours- so be done by 7:15 am, or after 5;30 pm in our area.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i run with my 7 year old and my 5 year old in a double jogging stroller (baby jogger brand) so yours are NOT too old. they bring books and toys with them and i pack a few snacks, toughest part is when they want to have a conversation when you are going up hill or trying to pick up the pace.

you can definately run at a school, if you can get on the track outside of school hours then you can use it, if they dont want you using it then the gates will be locked. college's are less likley to be locked but many schools keep their facilities open
  • momofacacia
    Options

Our schools here allow the public to use their tracks any time school is NOT in session. I would check with the school!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi, I have a 4 and 8 year old. I am lucky that I can go out in the mornings at the moment while they are at school as I am still at home, but this won't be the case for ever. At weekends, I go out and leave them with hubby although my 8 year old came with me on Sunday morning and it was fun - he actually kept me going! I am not sure what I am going to do in the hols though, I am desparate to not give up so I think it will be a combination of weekends and maybe a few evenings now the clocks have changed, though I feel like I need a buddy in the evenings even though it is light still.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5AM, out the door at 5:30 and back by 6:30 before anyone else gets up. It's the only way I could stick to a regular training schedule.

That's me too, except mine is up and out at 5:30 (I just pee and go, LOL).
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I loved reading how everyone makes time to fit in their runs around their kids. Some very good ideas, I definately want to find a track where i can run laps and take the kids.
    My husband is a shift worker so I go whenever he isnt working which varies alot. I have a friend that has just taken up running, we take turns at minding each others kids while we run.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

The policy is usually posted. I've never lived anywhere that wasn't: if the school isn't using it, and it's between dawn and dusk, it's fair game.
  • hymiesmom1
    hymiesmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids that go in the running stroller?? Is 4 too old for that?

My 4 year old goes along with me in his running stroller....he yells "faster"!!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Get up early :) Get a treadmill. Run at night when they are asleep. Find a running friend that you can swap times/kids to workout with.

I've used the high school track on occasion and been annoyed by people taking their kids and letting them on the track to play while I"m trying to do speed work. They also have had their dogs, which use the track as their bathroom. And most tracks won't allow strollers on the tracks. School properties are properties owned and operated by the school, they are responsible for upkeep and maintenance, and liable financially for possible injuries on the track. By all means call - and don't just call the high school secretary, she doesn't have the authority. You want to talk with the athletic director or the superintendent. It's best to get the policy in writing to avoid any confusion. Legally you could be considered trespassing if they don't consider it a premises open to the public. Better safe than sorry, ignorance of the law is not generally a defense.

Have you read the Book - Run like a Mother - good ideas as a mom of running and kids options. They had a new book released this week called Train Like a Mother. If nothing else, they are funny to read. :)
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i put my 4 year old in a jeep jogging stroller that i got at a garage sale. i jog at night and she normally falls asleep
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and push them both in my double bob. Awesome stroller. 4 is not too old. Plus as somebody else mentioned you feel like you are flying when you don't have the stroller. :-)

I also have a treadmill but only use that when my husband is around because of the one year old. The 4 year old knows not to touch it.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids that go in the running stroller?? Is 4 too old for that?

My son is 3 and he fits just fine.