Eating 500 calories and BMR .

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to make myself unpopular for saying this, but, in some cases, very low calorie diets are medically sanctioned. If you haven't already, you probably want to talk to your doctor about what you are doing to lose weight. Your doctor knows you, your body, and your medical history, and is far more qualified to provide advice than we are.

As a side note on math. While it is possible that some of the OP's weight loss is due to water loss, it is also possible that she is losing fat at the rate she states. The 3,500 calories to lose a pound is not a "rule" it is an estimate, and some new research suggests that there may be individual variation in the caloric deficit associated with a one pound fat loss.

No, it's not variable, it's physics. What varies is metabolism. Bodies may vary in their "efficiency" like furnaces, but a given amount of fuel burned still produces a given amount of energy. Some furnaces may be more efficient in how much of it actually heats your house, but a "calorie" is a measure of energy, and it doesn't vary. To lose 15 pounds requires she burn 52,500 more calories than she consumed.
  • Moana41
    Moana41 Posts: 35
    Options
    I am 29 years old, I am 5'9 and weigh 269 lbs. My BMR is 2017. I started a diet 3 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am eating around 1000 calories a day and burning at least 500 calories at the gym alone. So my net calorie intake is 500 per day. I would like to know will I loose more weight eating more or should I continue on. I am doing well, not starving but I am trying to find the most rapid weight loss possible. I just can't seem to grasp that if I eat 500 less according to my BMR I would be eating around 2000 calories a day and that seems like a huge amount? Any info or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

That was my starting weight when I found out about MFP and I would not have survived on that many calories a day! In saying that, being a type 2 diabetic, I would need to eat enough throughout the day to keep my blood glucose levels consistent otherwise my BGL's could drop dangerously low, especially if I were to consume only 500 cals! Progress may be slow but I'd sooner lose weight slowly than reach that 'plateau' stage. Perhaps talk with your health professional or a dietician before you begin your low cal diet.
  • FitLink
    Options
    You seem like your not going to heed the advice of posters that have had success so this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. I weighed 560 lbs. 33 months ago and could barely walk. I started working with a dietician and my doctor and from the beginning even though I had over 300 lbs. to lose under doctors orders I was instructed to lose 1 to 2 lbs. a week for sustainable weightloss. So we adjusted my intake over the course of 3 weeks to maintain that weightloss. Fast forward 33 months and 303 lbs. down my current BMR is 2160 with a 500 calories deficit built in to lose 1 pound a week but because I burn 1000 calories most days in exercise I eat 3000 calories a day and am still losing weight... By taking it off at a recommended pace I haven't sacrificed to much muscle which is good because having more muscle burns more calories.... Speed isn't the way to permanent weightloss and I wish you would reconsider, if not Good Luck to you.....

May 2009

Nice way to go thanks for sharing I will keep all this in mind

2009May2.jpg

33 months of steady weight loss mixed with strength training and cardio

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg

Yes. It IS impressive, isn't it? Well worth reposting again. And again.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I am 29 years old, I am 5'9 and weigh 269 lbs. My BMR is 2017. I started a diet 3 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am eating around 1000 calories a day and burning at least 500 calories at the gym alone. So my net calorie intake is 500 per day. I would like to know will I loose more weight eating more or should I continue on. I am doing well, not starving but I am trying to find the most rapid weight loss possible. I just can't seem to grasp that if I eat 500 less according to my BMR I would be eating around 2000 calories a day and that seems like a huge amount? Any info or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

That was my starting weight when I found out about MFP and I would not have survived on that many calories a day! In saying that, being a type 2 diabetic, I would need to eat enough throughout the day to keep my blood glucose levels consistent otherwise my BGL's could drop dangerously low, especially if I were to consume only 500 cals! Progress may be slow but I'd sooner lose weight slowly than reach that 'plateau' stage. Perhaps talk with your health professional or a dietician before you begin your low cal diet.

And you mean literally survived. As in you would have died on 500 calories/day.
  • lauest
    lauest Posts: 11
    Options
    Check out the information with pins on it in the top of this topic (General Diet and Weight Loss Help) message board - information for "newbies" - hopefully you will gain some knowledge about how to work with your body's nutritional needs. You are definitely not eating enough calories!!!
    It is easy to be fooled into thinking eating very little will lead to weight loss, but you are doing yourself a disservice in the long run - your metabolic rate will slow and weight loss will become much more difficult.
    Be kind to your self! Eat at the very least your BMR AND eat at least your exercise calories. You also wont go mad with hunger (which can lead to binges and poor nutritional choices).
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider.

The longer you net 500 calories a day, the longer it will take your metabolism to recover and burn fat normally.

Damage is cumulative. Recovery takes time.
  • jennifer127
    Options
    Bump
  • scarticia
    scarticia Posts: 16
    Options
    For all those doing my numbers thanks by the way this is what I started out at
    Bmi 40.8
    BMR 2048
    Fat% 51.2

Three weeks later today in fact
    Bmi 39.8
    BMR 2017
    Fat % 49.8

And I do light weight 40 pounds upper body and 55 pounds lower body 5 days a week alternating between the two

Maybe this will help
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Nope, that still doesn't make it healthy.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to eat more! Your body's weight loss and functionality will deteriorate and weight loss will be extremely hard. You should also be eating back the calories you burned.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    You seem like your not going to heed the advice of posters that have had success so this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. I weighed 560 lbs. 33 months ago and could barely walk. I started working with a dietician and my doctor and from the beginning even though I had over 300 lbs. to lose under doctors orders I was instructed to lose 1 to 2 lbs. a week for sustainable weightloss. So we adjusted my intake over the course of 3 weeks to maintain that weightloss. Fast forward 33 months and 303 lbs. down my current BMR is 2160 with a 500 calories deficit built in to lose 1 pound a week but because I burn 1000 calories most days in exercise I eat 3000 calories a day and am still losing weight... By taking it off at a recommended pace I haven't sacrificed to much muscle which is good because having more muscle burns more calories.... Speed isn't the way to permanent weightloss and I wish you would reconsider, if not Good Luck to you.....

May 2009

2009May2.jpg

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg

Fuk YES!
  • guinessngolf
    Options
    bump (saving for the BMR calculations)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    For all those doing my numbers thanks by the way this is what I started out at
    Bmi 40.8
    BMR 2048
    Fat% 51.2

Three weeks later today in fact
    Bmi 39.8
    BMR 2017
    Fat % 49.8

And I do light weight 40 pounds upper body and 55 pounds lower body 5 days a week alternating between the two

Maybe this will help

3 weeks ago
    284.4*48.8% = 138.8 pounds of lean body mass.
    today
    269.5*50.2% = 135.3 pounds of lean body mass.

So out of those 15 lbs you lost, 3.5 of them were of NOT FAT. As you continue this VLCD, the proportion of NOT FAT lost will increase.

Added: If you lost weight at the same ratio of fat/not fat as you are now (which as I said will increase as you lose fat), when you hit your goal weight of 155 you'd have a lean body mass of 108.6, which would give you a body fat % of 30% even though you'd be square in the middle of normal BMI range.
  • scarticia
    Options
    Man these numbers are confusing
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Eating very low cal diets especially when you start off as obese has been linked to gallbladder stones. If you havent had your gallbladder out yet that may well be something you can look forward to after following a low cal diet plan.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

May 2009

2009May2.jpg

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg

Even if you don't listen to anyone else- listen to this guy! The proof is in the pics:smile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor and nutritionist and forget the rest of us. :)

If you are interested in eating more, tell them that. They can help you create a diet where you can eat more and still lose weight. At your starting weight, you should still lose more than 1 lb a week for a while to quite a while, even with a higher calorie intake.

Did he tell you how long your 1000 calorie diet will last?
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    here is an idea...QUIT FOCUSING ON THE NUMBERS.....you need to focus on getting healthy...cause what you are doing is quite the opposite of getting healthy....please listen to everyone (and may i suggest you find a new dr if indeed this dr told you this was okay to do...because any dr who says that eating a net of 500 calories a day is a GOOD idea...is a horrible dr who needs to have their license revoked for life!!!! all he.she is doing is harming you and a dr should not put on in harms way just something to think about...but honestly i think you just said that to try to justify eating 500 calories a day i dont think a dr would be okay with that they'd probably rip you a new one if they read what you are doing to your body) you are STARVING YOURSELF....and my concern is eventually you will quit eating all together and become anorexic you are well on your way to that stage you need to stop and re-evaluate what you are doing to yourself....
  • scarticia
    Options
    Ok so now I m a liar , really? No I this is what is happening in my life, and the numbers that' is something I'm interested in so yes i would like to know more. The 500 cal diet should last no more than three months apparently this starvation mode dosent occur for us larger people for quite a while then the calories will gradually be increased
    Thanks for all the personal messages and calculations they are greatly appreciated.