DO NOT JOG ON THE TREADMILL

Options

Replies

• xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    If you have to worry about getting hurt everytime you step on a tredmil, then you have a whole different problem to worry about.:huh:

Those people are stupid.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Technically, he is right about the first. You burn more calories walking at an uncomfortably fast pace than jogging at a slow pace.

however, that rule is just stupid. Treadmills are made for running.

Yeah but you burn more calories in a shorter space of time running than walking, which directly effects the amount of fat you burn.

yep, that's true. You burn more calories *per mile* by walking uncomfortably fast, but it takes longer to cover the distance. If you were going at the exact same speed in both cases, let's say 4 mph, you would burn more calories in the same time period by walking.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want.
    No, you don't have the right to use someone else's equipment in violation of their rules.

Absolutely.

So my advice is also to change gyms.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with private ownership of businesses. If ALL gyms were owned and run by the government we would have standardized rules across all the gyms and no one would be trasumatized by such awful owners!
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What everybody else sez. Find a new gym. This guy is just setting you up for mediocre results.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'd advise:
    RUN DON'T WALK OUT OF THAT GYM!!!

And that fat advice is so outdated. You burn a greater percentage of calories from fat going slower for longer, sure, but more calories overall in the same time and a greater total from fat running.

^^^ As always, Berry is spot on, on all counts. Complete and utter tosh.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, and I didn't think it was April Fool's day until Sunday...
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want.
    No, you don't have the right to use someone else's equipment in violation of their rules.

Does someone need a hug today?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

So my advice is also to change gyms.
    Oh yeah definitely. You do have the right to change gyms!
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't trust personal trainers. I don't think they actually have any idea what they are talking about.

That's a pretty broad generalization. Like any profession, there are those that are good at it and those that are not. If you don't take the time to research a trainer and get a bad one, I think that's on you.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'd advise:
    RUN DON'T WALK OUT OF THAT GYM!!!

^^^^^^ this
  • Beccaliebchen
    Beccaliebchen Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Wow, grumpy much? Indeed, but YOU have the right to ask for your money back and get the *snap* out of there. Be sure to take a look around before registering at a gym.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Does someone need a hug today?
    Um, what?
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

Wow, grumpy much? Indeed, but YOU have the right to ask for your money back and get the *snap* out of there. Be sure to take a look around before registering at a gym.
    I really don't understand this reaction. She stated her opinion and I disagreed. I'm getting grumpy now because of your reaction.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Technically, when you walk, you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat calories to muscle calories. However, when you consider that running burns more overall calories, you still end up burning more fat calories by running. So, to get that perfect fat cal burn like the sign suggests, you have to go slow, and you have to go forever.

Maybe you should find a nice park with a nice trail, and go for a run there while wearing a shirt that says, "Screw you stupid expensive gym."
  • sixxfan4ever
    sixxfan4ever Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wont run on the treadmill for the simple fact I will end up dislocating one of my knees on it.
  • drrbradford
    Options
    There is some sense in the advice. It's very hard to walk at say 5mph and feels more natural to jog at that pace. This is because it's more energy efficient to run at 5mph than walk 5mph. There is a crossing point where running or walking at a certain pace will burn the same number of calories per unit time.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    What a terrible gym! Go find another! X
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous!!! I mean I personally don't use the treadmill cuz it messes with my knees (I have weird knees to begin with) but that doesn't mean other people, who don't have weird knees, should be forbidden to run on the treadmill. What an idiot
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't trust personal trainers. I don't think they actually have any idea what they are talking about.

That's a pretty broad generalization. Like any profession, there are those that are good at it and those that are not. If you don't take the time to research a trainer and get a bad one, I think that's on you.

I do not need to take time to research personal trainers. I do not need one, what I am doing is working wonderfully.