starving after working out!! Help!!!

Options
I workout at night because in the morning I just dont have the energy and it makes me feel exhausted all day. Altho working out at night gives me plenty of energy. I have super bad cravings at night...or not even really cravings, altho certain times of the month I def crave chocolate lol. But I have a hard time not binging after working out. It revs up my appetite like none other and I feel like no matter what I eat or how much I eat I'm still starving. I just cant seem to find something to satisfy me through the night and til the next morning. Suggestions????

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I also workout at night most of the time and when my weekly calorie intake was lower I was starving after workouts, I added about 120 calories per day and that has really made the difference. Maybe try this... everyone is different so it may not be your solution.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't have a suggestion but I also have this problem..

I feel like I'm in a vicious circle, the more I work out the more I eat then I feel like I have to work out to burn it off and then I'm hungry lol
  • done5620
    done5620 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are probably not as hungry as you are thirsty. Alot of people get mixed signals. Try drinking a couple of big glasses of water after your workout and see if that doesn't quench you...
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I work out at night too. Make sure you leave yourself some calories from your exercise and eat something :) I sometimes go for a turkey sandwich or cheerios with milk and a banana. If I try something higher calorie, like nuts, I feel that the serving or 2 doesn't make me feel like I've eaten enough - I need bulk. The other thing is that I get into the habit of eating near bedtime, when I don;t really NEED food, just need something to do. Make sure you're actually hungry and not just bored - if you're hungry...eat.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Eat lots of Protein afer work out . Look into Iso Pure Zero Carb 50 grams of protein in 1 serving
  • Vaudelin
    Vaudelin Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you eat enough durning the day and especially before your work out? Sometimes it is better to have a decent meal a couple of hours before a workout and then a snack afterwards? I always find that pasta and protein (together) fills me up.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion that you might be thirsty rather than hungry. Or, have you tried eating something before your workout? Maybe it would keep you from getting to that ravenous feeling.
  • binderde
    binderde Posts: 23
    Options
    I work out at night after work well late afternoon usually from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, then I wait an hour after I work out and have a light meal. The key here is to really establish if you are truly hungry. I eat a light snack before a workout for energy. Usually within an hour of my workout I have a piece of fruit usually a banana or orange and a piece of string cheese. It helps with the workout and its also a way to not be starving at the end. Its like anything it takes practice. Just because you worked out doesn't mean its ok to eat a ton. Just try filling foods, like peanut butter, cottage cheese, high protein foods. Good luck.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for a chocolate milk or a banana with peanut butter...or something else around 150-200 calories that will satisfy you. No reason to not eat after a workout at night.
  • SBecken87
    SBecken87 Posts: 48
    Options
    I usually get home from work, make dinner, eat, wait an hour or two, workout, and like an hour later I'm starving. Last night I had pork chops, steamfresh veggies (the biggest portion of the meal), and mac and cheese. I worked out extra hard cause of the mac but I was still hungry an hour later...I resisted and just drank but went to bed hungry so this morning I'm starving and I cant figure out what to eat :( ugh

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do try to drink a lot at night after my workout, one to replenish but two because at work we arent allowed to have drinks so for a good portion of my day I go without drinking and I gotta get my water intake up. I find if I drink too much water tho it hurts my stomach so I've been drinking these diet green tea drinks along with the water. I've pretty much eliminated my house of junk food...so luckily I dont gotta worry about eating too much of the wrong thing :X
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough durning the day and especially before your work out? Sometimes it is better to have a decent meal a couple of hours before a workout and then a snack afterwards? I always find that pasta and protein (together) fills me up.

A agree. I need food before I work out way more then after. It fuels me through my workout and I feel good after, not tired or hungry. This is just me though, some people don't like to eat before a workout but I can hardly make it through if I don't eat before. Try a few different suggestions and figure out what works best for you.
  • Seppron
    Seppron Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat then after 1 hour i start working out.
    I train for 1,5-2 hour and eating 2 bananas in the middle for some energy, when I am finnished, I eat and get a protein shake

I eat every 3 hour of a day.
  • SBecken87
    SBecken87 Posts: 48
    Options
    I need to stock up on some bananas!! lol
  • Seppron
    Seppron Posts: 11
    Options
    Will hope it helps some, realy worked out for me and my friends after we started with it:)
  • okyougotme
    Options
    I work out at night and am hungry too, afterward. After repleneshing my water, I have Metamucil fiber wafers (two in a pack) and some tea. Two wafers are 100 calories, but they take away the hunger urge. A protein shake in water is about 150 calories, and takes the edge off of hunger. The shake in milk is about 350 calories.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Save some calories so you can have a good snack. Get some protein and carbs to fill you up and keep you full.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    A protein shake would be good. Make sure you aer getting enough protein in your diet. MFP kind of underestimates what you need when you are working out hard.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    How many calories are you eating in a day?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    With your diary closed, it's anybody's guess. Mine is that you're chronically undereating.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary I cant be sure but you probably are not eating enough or you need roe protein. If you are hungry you need to eat. Dont go overboard with junk but have some raw nuts or a protein shake or peanut butter. If you are set up with MFP generic 1200 cals a day you def are not eating enough.