"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you do "just cardio", you are probably healthy. On the other hand, I have personally known a buff body builder who literally could not run around the block. Looks are skin deep. It's what's on the inside that counts health-wise, looks-wise, and personality-wise. I have read most of the posts and have seen hardly a mention of the benefits of cardio. Ask any doctor, it's what really counts.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I tripped over a dead horse on the way to reply to this post.....

:grumble:
  • RachRice29
    Options
    "Skinny girls look good in clothes. Fit girls look good NAKED!!!"

There's no way to get FIT doing only cardio.
  • miss_lizz
    miss_lizz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    everyone thinks cardio is the answer!! and this may be true if you only have like 10 lbs to lose.. but weights are what helped me lately... start seeing the results i wanted!!..

cardio makes u look good with clothes on! weights make u look good naked!! ;]
  • miss_lizz
    miss_lizz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    haha @ rach agree with ur post!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's true, depends on your definition of "good!" I think people who do only cardio tend to look soft, where the people who lift weights look toned/muscular. Depends on the look you're going for.

You can be toned and muscular, but still be soft. I have 130+ lbs of lean muscle mass, but it doesn't show thanks to all the fat I can't seem to shake.
  • greeneyedredneckangel
    Options
    who are you to judge everyone has there preference on type of body they want to be with but you should only be concerned about yourself your not a judge everyone is different if we were all the same that would be boring
    for the record
    my boyfriend is 6 foot 175 pounds and ripped and i out run him and even though i am over weight i am in better shape cardio wise looks are not everything
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    everyone thinks cardio is the answer!! and this may be true if you only have like 10 lbs to lose.. but weights are what helped me lately... start seeing the results i wanted!!..

cardio makes u look good with clothes on! weights make u look good naked!! ;]

Actually the less you have the more important strength training becomes. As the less fat you have to lose the more liekly your body is to break muscle down to use as fuel, instead of fat. Strength training will help retain that lean muscle as you lose the last bit of fat. That being said strength training the full time will lead to a lower BF% at every point on the scale during your weight loss vs. cardio or diet alone.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I think people who've lost weight with only cardio should post pics of their badass selves.

Mind you, the statement that inspired this post was a personal opinion. The person who said this only sees beauty in muscle and toning and that's his perogative. Doesn't make it a universal truth, thank goodness.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

Every time I see this I shake my head. The only person that's going to see me naked (besides me and maybe the cat) is my husband, and he doesn't care what I look like as long as I'm naked, period. Oh, and willing.

So, if I'm not 'fit' by someone else's definition, that's too darn bad. I'm healthy and I feel pretty damn good about myself and what I've accomplished and how dare anyone else try to tell me otherwise.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

o-push-the-limit-in-michael-phelps-.jpg

This is true. I was a college swimmer and always had great muscle tone, even before I started lifting. Swimming is all cardio but you build muscles to boot.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It is not true, but adding a small amount of circuit training ads just a bit more je ne sais quoi.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Every time I see this I shake my head. The only person that's going to see me naked (besides me and maybe the cat) is my husband, and he doesn't care what I look like as long as I'm naked, period. Oh, and willing.

So, if I'm not 'fit' by someone else's definition, that's too darn bad. I'm healthy and I feel pretty damn good about myself and what I've accomplished and how dare anyone else try to tell me otherwise.

You speaketh the truth! Love it!
  • lovemonkey143j
    Options
    for me right now I am basically doing cardio because I just want to lose the weight. I'm going to start adding weights into the mix in a few weeks to tone up my stomach some and see how it goes.............There are so many diffrent things written and each person is diffrent so I'm going to do what works for me and not care what the "books" say. I have another 54 lbs to go before I reach my goal and while I know weights may add pounds initially with a combo of both I will reach my happy medium.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

There's no way to get FIT doing only cardio.

Really?

How so?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

SMILE :) Oh yea ...
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I spent 6 weeks on cardio alone after joining MFP. But I knew from day one that once I got closer to my goal weight, I would add strength training into the mix. I've been lifting and doing cardio since Feb 17. Losing weight and wearing smaller-sized clothes was never enough for me, and it still isn't. Although my body is not quite there yet, I admit I get a thrill when I see my reflection in the bathroom now. And it's because of lifting AND eating more protein/fewer carbs.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    what makes you feel good? Strong? I do both but to each his or her own!!!! People look good when excercising, PERIOD!
  • aptipton
    aptipton Posts: 13
    Options
    The statement is too black and white--there is rarely a question that can be answered so firmly. I agree with all of you that say there are many factors that go into "looking good". I would say that a combination of cardio and weight lifting is the way to go. I have set a goal for myself that I will introduce weight lifting when I hit a certain weight (I have 9 pounds to go to get there). That was a goal of mine and incentive to lose as well. I work wtih the elderly and the medical community clearly states that a combination of cardio and weight lifting is essential and if you look up sacropenia--it may shed some light on this as well. However, I think all people can look good--fat, think, tall, short, etc--that is a subjective statement for sure.
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options

I spit water through my nose when I read this...thank you...thank you SO much! BWAHAHAHA
    SPLENDID loss, by the way! <hands you a perdy cape>