Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• zoezoe64
    zoezoe64 Posts: 13
    Options
    After just reading this thread, I thought I need to look at my photos more and make myself see the difference. The problem with my photos is that they aren't the same size of my body, so I lined them up so my height matched and printed out the photos. Then I've cut the 'new me' out and laid it over the top of the 'old me'. Now I can see the difference and my brain can't make up excuses for the differences I can see. Feel so much better!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I also have days that I feel this way. Others I feel really good and confident. I am half way to my goal tho so know I still have some to lose. Hearing how great I look tho does help.
  • AmyMW7
    AmyMW7 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes. i still do! when i tell people that, they don't get it . . . i guess you all do:-)

I'm .5 pounds from my goal weight, have lost 80.5 pounds, have gone from a size 20 to 6, and still feel like the 'fat girl'.

I constantly have to look at the sizes on my clothes as a reminder of where i really am.

i guess 15 years of being overweight takes its toll . . .

it's nice to hear it gets better with time!
  • nickymorgan
    Options
    Yes I know how you feel. I have been doing the same thing. People will tell me how great I look and just say, thankyou still have a ways to go. Last week I was pretty upset. I have incressed my exercise to 4 days a week and the scale went up. Keep up the good work and everything else will come. Remember you need to be happy with yourself first. What we see are so different. I look in the marrior and see the change, then I see a picture and say yeak..:happy:
  • southrider
    southrider Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 and still have around 100 to go and I still feel totally fat. Somedays I feel good because I know I'm making better choices and giving my all to my workouts. But then I look in the mirror and blah....hopefully these feelings diminish with the fat.
  • nickymorgan
    Options
    Good Job keep up the hard work.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Somewhat...I'm down 32 lbs so far...and I still think I look the same when clearly I have gotten a lot smaller. I too head straight for the XL, when I can now fit into a L or M. Eh, eventually I'll mentally adjust to my new body/weight...especially as I need to keep losing...but for now, I think I'm still the same as 32 lbs ago.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I struggle with this all the time. It's so hard to see the changes I've made. I see them but I don't "see" them. Does that makes sense.
  • martin_chicago
    martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i lost 60 and feel it sometimes because i guess the belly is the last to go
  • hermiony
    hermiony Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    sometimes i feel confident and normal sized but others i dont. like today i went to the doctor and i was paranoid she was looking at me because im fat.
    and another day my aunt asked me if i wanted a bra that she bought and didnt fit her and i laughed at her, it looked tiny and i was used to huge sizes but i told her to leave it for me to try anyway, i thought maybe one day, but then i tried it and it fit!
    i have some tight skinny jeans in my cupboard and i never went near them because they look tiny but i wanted to try to see how far up my legs they go, and they fit all the way perfectly!
    i havent been shopping properly since losing 50 pounds so im in for a shock when i finally go next month
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know I'm not, but sometimes I still feel like it. Went from a 12 to a 4, and people describe me as skinny, but never been the skinny one, so its confusing. Sometimes I see the skinny me in the mirror, sometimes I don't. Photos are the most frightening 1) because I forgot how big I was, and 2) cause I can now see how little I am now. Slowly getting used to it, a lifetime of being chubby isn't going to change over night in my head I suppose.
  • stryfe101
    stryfe101 Posts: 61
    Options
    depends on what I'm wearing...I've changed my style of clothing dramatically and as such, i've got a new wardrobe of different things. All I used to be able to wear was polo knit shirts, now I can wear whatever, and I'm my most comfortable in my button down "hipsterish??" shirts and bowling shirts with my dark, worn looking jeans. It's the days that I switch back to wearing the drab light jeans and knit polos (both of which are new as well, properly sized) to work that I feel frumpy and fat. I also still feel that way when I look in the mirror naked...I see the flabby skin still on me and think "geez, i'm still fat" even though I've lost 80+ pounds.

That changes though, when I have my "sexy" clothes on...my wife says she has never seen me look at myself in the mirror as much as I do now in our 6 years together...I tell her it's cause i'm attracted to myself..lmao

6875305326_5b48880b64_z.jpg
    ^side shot of me in my "sexy" clothes and my new, very nice fitting, riding jacket

Gray
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm finally beginning to feel thinner especially after I bought some jeans size 18 that are lose now. The last time I had bought any they were a size 261/2 and I couldn't get them on a year ago. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    i lost 60 and feel it sometimes because i guess the belly is the last to go

I think that's my problem too, I have a massive 'apron' that only surgery will fix, and I'm so conscious of it as I walk.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I do.... I've lost nearly 50 lbs so far, but I still feel kinda gross when I know I could be thinner... It can be a ****ty feeling, but you just have to remember that you have infact made progess!
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think I look any different when I look in the mirror even though other people say they can really see it.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    With my journey being over 2 years, and 129 lbs lost...yes, i still feel super-big and still go to the "big clothes" i was in 24w jeans and 3xl shirts. But wearing a 12/14 in jeans and med shirts.

i don't know if it ever gets easier. :( *sigh*
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weighed about 285 pounds when I started my journey. This morning, I was just under 223. I look in the mirror and think, jeezum, I'm so fat. Then I wonder, how bad did I look 60+ pounds ago? I hope when I get to my goal weight, I don't still see the 285 pound guy looking back at me.
  • CAH1968
    CAH1968 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY. I lost 55lbs and someone asked me if I felt skinny yet. I do not know what that is supposed to feel like. I feel a disconnect with my body, and I think that is why I was overweight for so long. I did not feel fat either. I went from a size 14 to 6. The only thing that makes me believe that I do look different is when I try on clothes that are too big or when people comment. But half the time I just don't believe them. I am happy with the results and I am not going back to how I was, but I do need to learn how to connect with my body.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think I will always feel like a fat girl. I started gaining weight around puberty, lost the weight at 16, then gained again, then lost, then gained, then lost...then gained BIG time and was up to 212...now I'm back on my way down and this time, it really IS forever. I'm getting close to 30 and I know it will be even more difficult as I age, and besides, up and down is not good for your body! I'm striving for health.

But, when I go shopping, I automatically look at bigger sizes, and often forget that I can pull off different styles now. Even this morning I was looking for something to wear and pulled out this shirt and immediately thought "can't wear that it's too tight on the stomach"--and then realized thatn my stomach is fairly flat and I look really freakin' good in this shirt!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!