Why do you care what other people think?

Options
_binary_jester_
_binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
Often I don't get it. Admittedly there are very small group of people whose opinions are important, but for the most part I could care less.

Other people's opinions can make you feel poorly about yourself.
Other people's opinions can influence you...and often not in a positive way.
Other people's opinions can make you be a different person.
Words only have the power YOU give them.

So why do you care?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Because how will I know that I'm a good person if I don't have the approval of strangers, acquaintances, and people I don't like?!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    People have feelings? I thought that's what middle fingers were for.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Because how will I know that I'm a good person if I don't have the approval of strangers, acquaintances, and people I don't like?!

THIS!!!!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Why do you care if I care? hmmmmmm
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Curiosity and caring are 2 different things.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Really, I pretty much only care what my family and close friends think of me. And my boss, but I only care what he thinks of my work ethic. The rest of it is inconsequential to me because you're absolutely right ... it is not going to make my life better to know what everyone else thinks. I would just end up hiding who I am to get someone else's approval and lose respect for myself.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I want people to bow down the my greatness but I really do not care what other people think. I am that awsome.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I used to. A lot. I have learned not to, but it was difficult and required a lot of self reflection. A lot of it, for me at least, was that if society saw me a certain way, then perhaps it was true and I just didn't recognize it. If a couple of people tell you the same thing about yourself, you begin to wonder if it is really truth. I will frequently have people ask on the status of my pregnancy. I am sterile and NOT pregnant...... When you have multiple people mention it, you wonder how many others are thinking it, then I got really self concious of my belly and the fact that I must LOOK PREGNANT. It hurt. It is hard to hear. It isnt so much that ONE other person's opinion mattered, it was the concern that everyone but me noticed. It did kinda spur me on to make some changes. But it made me cry far more.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I care what my family and friends think because I love them. Everyone else can **** right off.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I choose to be a Godly father for my daughters and don't ask others if they approve or not. I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be. However, I know when I screw up and don't need others to put their 2 cents in. I'm my own worse critic and don't care to hear their rendition repeated over and over.

I do care that people see me as example of how fathers should behave, but as far as what they think? I have no control over other people feelings or thoughts and I refuse to give myself that much credit or blame in the matter.

That's deep, huh? Sorry...
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Curiosity and caring are 2 different things.

+1 for Binary
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Often I don't get it. Admittedly there are very small group of people whose opinions are important, but for the most part I could care less.

So why do you care?

You said you "could care less"...great, now the grammar nazis are going to be all over this thread like white on rice.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

So why do you care?

You said you "could care less"...great, now the grammar nazis are going to be all over this thread like white on rice.
    Heh...let 'em.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I'm getting better now that I'm getting older about not caring so much about what others think of me. I'm turning it around and now strive to care about what I truly think about myself. If I know I'm a good person, have a good heart, try my best, don't belittle myself for weaknesses, falling down etc...then I think I'm doing okay. Of course I will worry to some degree about what my family thinks, that will never go away.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I care what my family and friends think because I love them. Everyone else can **** right off.

I stopped caring what my family thinks a long time ago - we are just too different. Their opinions count as much as that of any random stranger. Friends, the real ones, are the only ones I pay attention to anymore - and that's only if they agree with me or are willing to be coerced to my way of thinking.

Someone gave me this the other day, and I LOVE IT!!!!
    zzzzziiv.jpg
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

So why do you care?

Heh...let 'em.

I'm thinkin' I should bust out my Batman hater pic...just in case :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    When you are 20, you care deeply what people think of you.

When you are 40, you don't care what they think of you.

When you are 60, you realize they weren't even thinking of you.
  • jennie0918
    jennie0918 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i think i care so much because I'm so used to being judged. and in a bad way. so i do everything i can to be accepted i guess. i mean i know that sounds sad and bad but like being judged by everything (by your own father) has basically made me hate myself. so i try to please everyone because i'm afraid of being hated and not good enough. i was never good enough for my dad so now i have to please everyone else.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I care for you opinions on why i care what other think of me .... as long as that doesn't make you think less of me and you still like and value every thing I do and say.:tongue::tongue: :tongue:
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Because I've got everything else for people to be jealous of.

Now I want people to be jealous of me looking good to.