Sloppy Women at the Gym

Options

Replies

• raydot
    raydot Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with putting effort in your look if you *want* to, but just realize that you are changing the atmosphere of the gym. The beautiful thing about the gym is that it is an equalizer: everybody there is (theoretically) there to get in shape. It's one thing to wear exercise clothes that may be tighter or fresher looking than someone else's, it's another thing to do your hair up nice, put your make up on, wear unnecessarily skimpy clothing (unless you know you get so hot that you preemptively put on skimpy clothing to stay cool... but you'd have to be exercising pretty hard). When you do that the dynamic shifts to one of attention getting, and it's just disrespectful to our gender. You should have enough respect for other women getting in shape that you don't make it about your looks. You can't help your body or natural prettiness, but there is a palpable quality when one is "strutting" that is just highly unnecessary if you're really there to stay healthy.

I advocate going all out on the look at the beach, pool, bar, etc. just not the gym. You don't have to look like a frump but please don't get to the point where someone stops and realizes you put some real time into your appearance before going.
  • ladydee43
    ladydee43 Posts: 13
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Did someone come up to you tell they didn't like the way you look? I think people dress they want to at the gym, it's a matter of choice. If you look cute, I'm sure people think you look cute, but if someone wants to feel comfortable and burn some calories that's there choice too. Don't make assumptions.
  • Tiki1978
    Tiki1978 Posts: 364
    Options
    ll this talk is making me want to get all cute for the gym! I'll just get on the treadmill and go at a snails pace so I dont break a sweat :) lol

Seriously the only thing I care about it that Im showered, throw my hair in a wet ponytail and go. I rarely look at anyone. Unless they are in the treadmills in the row in front of me and have a nice a** then i just cant help myself lol BUT I do not go to look at anyone. And if girls want to go on with full makeup wearing thongs and running 5 miles in heels I couldn't care less.
  • akaallice
    akaallice Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess you would consider me one of the sloppy women.
    I come to Planet Fitness straight from work.
    I change into sweat pants and a t-shirt; get connected to my iPod and start working out.
    I'm not there to look pretty, not there to make friends and definitely not there to pick up a lover.
    I am there for my health, to get healthier and to get well.

When I start going to the gym to look fantastic, then it's time for me to quit.

Whoever said sweating like a pig was sexy anyway?
  • akaallice
    akaallice Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :sad:
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY???

No one but you really, truly gives a good *kitten* what YOU'RE wearing....because most....MOST people are there to sweat their *kitten* off and burn calories.

If you're seriously so into yourself that you think everybody's watching your piggly wiggly ponytail and your outfit...you need to find yourself a hobby..because..DAMN!!!

And was it really necessary to gripe about something as trivial as your lipstick preferences at the gym..here?

Geez....get a life:yawn:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!! this was ALMOST MY POST.. lol....

Mine too

Not everyone is this secure with themselves. Maybe they don't want to impress you. Maybe they just want to feel okay in their own skin when they leave their house. I know I do.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I go to the gym in a huge men's t-shirt and black stretchy fat lady pants. I don't worry about how my hair looks, never bother with makeup (don't in the rest of my life, either, though), and figure if I'm going to get gross and sweaty, why bother getting all girly to do it?

I don't judge other people's clothes at the gym, though. One of my rewards for weight loss will be a running tank top, so I'm not even totally against people doing it.

The one thing that DOES bother me? People who work out in a sports bra and pants or shorts. Please, just put a shirt on.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Hey any woman that gets up early to go to the gym is GREAT in my mind. The are way ahead of those who do not work out. Can't we be supportive...no one knows what that woman has to do to manage to get to the gym let alone dress for other women's approval.

If everyone stayed focused on thier own journey no problem. I could care less what people wear but wish they would leave the perfume at home. I would rather smell sweat.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the responses, but this literally made me laugh. I am there to sweat. I have not completed my workout until there is sweat dripping from my body - literally. I do not wear makeup to the gym because it leads to blemishes when it runs down your face. I wear clothes that are comfortable and that I can easily move in. If that makes me sloppy because they are not hot pink and form fitting, so be it.
  • Tinkerbell1369
    Tinkerbell1369 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about other's and how they look but there aren't alot of cute out fits for woman my size.
  • saraannefrazer
    saraannefrazer Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't care one way or the other what a woman (or man) looks like at the gym. I'm there to work out. If I go to the gym in the morning before work, I seriously do roll out of bed, throw on my work-out cloths, pull my crazy-bed-hair into a pony tail, and go. If I'm there after work, well I might look a little more polished.

Regardless, by the time I'm done with my work out, I look horrid- red faced, sweaty, hair in my face (cause it pulled out of the pony tail). And you know what? I don't care. I feel AWESOME and that's all that matters.

Agreed :D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    What would be your definition of "sloppy?" I personally don't give a flying fig what anyone wears to the gym. I don't pay attention really because, once I put on my headphones, I go into my own little world. I wear whatever I'm comfortable in and, honestly, at 5:00 a.m., you're not going to get the best looking me.*lol*

Thank you!

@ the OP: I am not a size 2, so a cute little pink sports bra top or lululemon shorts is just not what I feel comfortable in at all (and why would I want to spend so much $$$ on that stuff when I'm losing weight anyways?)

I do, however still sometimes wear 10 year old t-shirts, some with little holes in them, I don't really care if you or anyone else deems that "sloppy", don't look or deal with it.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How come men never start threads like this? :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    With a title of 'Sloppy Women at the Gym' you may want to look closer to home before commenting on people being judgemental.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually DO roll out of bed at 5 ... AM. My *least* concern is how I look. My biggest concern is getting a good workout.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I GUESS..SOME WOMEN MIGHT FEEL LIKE IF THEY ARE ABOUT TO SWEAT IT OUT, THERE IS NO NEED TO LOOK LIKE A BEAUTY, BECAUSE MID WORKOUT YOUR GONNA BE MAKING UGLY FACES, SWEATING AND YOUR HAIR MIGHT COME UNDONE ANYWAY. SOME WOMEN MIGHT ALSO THINK THAT IF YOU ARE GOING TO THE GYM TO LOOK PRETTY YOU ARE NOT REALLY THERE TO WORK, BUT IF IT WORKS FOR YOU..THEN IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHAT OTHERS THINK--JUST ROCK IT. :)

Caps lock is cruise control for cool, amirite?
    BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO STEER

There is a ton of self-righteous *kitten* going down in this thread. As people, we judge. It's what we do. Don't you dare say, "NUH UH, I ACCEPT EVERYONE FOR WHO AND WHAT THEY ARE" because it's just not true. When you look at a person you have immediate preconceived notions about them. Whether it's huge and at the front of your brain, or just hanging out in the back. These judgments are what drives us to interact with people. "Hey, you are wearing this brand of tank top, I wonder if you also like this other thing that I am interested in." That's slightly outside the point though. For some when we see a person in full makeup on a stair machine, it throws up little flags like "Trying to hard in one direction and not in another." Doesn't matter if it's true or not. So, cool, you don't care about anyone else in the gym- congratulations you've mastered the ability to shut out the rest of the world while working out - not everyone can do that. Our attention wanders, and bringing this back to the circle: Sometimes our sights land on things that don't make sense to us. No one is actually angry at the way anyone else is dressed. It's more likely that they are puzzled.

TL;DR conclusion: You're all being ridiculous. :D
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    " Dont you wanna at least be presentable for yourself?"

It's not a concern. I'm there to work out. My gym requires people to wear appropriate gym clothes and not to wear anything twice in a row without washing it. That's good enough for me.
  • NatalieParmenter
    Options
    The most important person at the gym is YOU. Nobody else should matter. Unless you're working out with friends. Friends matter :o)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my hair and make-up But I like cute workout clothes! There's nothing wrong with that! I am just going to sweat my make up off so really why bother. And I wear a ball cap-so the hair isn't an issue either. But cute workout clothes is a must-they make me feel good and that matters to ME.