What is with the low carb fad?

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few people say that cutting carbs helps them prevent binges. Since they are more likely to binge on pasta, bread, cake and not omelets xD
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Someone made a comment on her about making sure you get your fat and protein, and fill out your calories with carbs from there.

Carbs are an easy food to point to when you want to say bad.

List of carbs I enjoy eating:
    chips, crackers, donuts, ice cream shakes, cake, cake, and more cake, cheesecake, etc.

List of carbs that are good for you that I now eat:
    berries, Ezekiel bread (which is ick), lettuce, tomatoes, random vegetables.

So going low carb is just a way to dump processed junk with an easy wipe of the hand. I'm a lot lower carb than I was. So, you can imagine how bad it was when I still ate them willy nilly.
    I could not stick to that ezekiel bread stuff. I only eat the good carbs like oats, sweet potatoes, etc but still come out to my goal carbs. But I also lack in veggies sometimes too so if I replaced more with them, I'd be a lot lower.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    What is considered low carb? cause I love carbs (healthy ones) and I feel drained without them. I have my carbs set at 40%, but it seems really easy to go over it.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

I agree with you... But i would rather do low fat, and tons of fruit and veggies and lean meat and pasta!!! lol I lost 70 pounds doing this when i was younger and i did keep it off this way for years. It wasnt until recently that i was taking care of mymom that i put on the weight well half of it back because i couldnt exercise and i went back to eating foods that were high in fat because it was available. I was so busy with her i really had to put aside those things for a while.. now im hoping to get back into it..
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

I had a 'treat' last night and had a piece of garlic toast and felt bloated afterwards..

Just a thought, if it was like "garlic bread" The bloating would probably be from the oil/butter or amounts of sodium in that kind of thing.

I pick up the most random things from long paragraphs haha
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think low carb is somewhere below 100 or 50g of carbs a day. Varies.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    i just do it for fun

one day, see how few carbs i can eat..........
    another, how little fat.........
    its a game to me
    only 19 carbs today, from lettuce and greens................tomorrow maybe 250..............
    nice to experiment with how things make you feel
    ....I never thought of it that way. Kind of wish you didn't tell me that because I am a very competitive person and love games... Very interesting. :P
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people who can stick to execising or lifting for the rest of their lives either but I sure don't knock anyone for giving it a go while trying to find what works for them. Some people have more will power than others in certain areas, some actually see an improvement in health. If you don't know people who can stick with something then seems like that might be a problem with the people you know. Guess it's kind of like the fad of worrying about what everybody else is doing.

BTW if you do some real research into low carb it's been around for centuries, that's a heck of a long fad.

MOST of the people I know have been exercising and lifting weights for their entire adult lives, and often since childhood.

EDIT: I guess not most of the people I know, just most of the people I surround myself with.

I agree with SleepyTexan completely. The implication that people can't stick to exercise or giving up carbs for life is a strange comparison. I have always exercised. But I also eat a lot of carbs. I have done both my entire life.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I started doing it because my sister did it and lost 8 lbs really fast. Since I have at least 75 lbs to lose, I thought I'd lose it really fast that way.
    But once I was off the carbs, I realized how much they controlled my life, and now much better my body AND MY MIND felt without being laden down with all that junk (cutting out carbs meant cutting out all fast foods, and most of my go-to binge foods - being a pescetarian, there's no bacon in my future!).
    I've also learned a lot more about my body since I started (rather hastily), so now I know more about BMR and TDEE and all those fun numbers...

So I'm sticking to a keto style diet for now, and eventually I will work a healthy but small number of carbs into my diet.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    For me personally, when I "low carb" I cut out all the yucky sugary food that makes me achy and tired. However, my low carb is like 80-100 a day and not like 40. I still eat high fiber/protein tortillas that are made from whole wheat, and I eat some fruit every day.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to stick to low carb due to insulin resistance from PCOS.. I try to get all of the carbs I do eat from low sugar fruit and non-starchy vegetables
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    I think low carb is somewhere below 100 or 50g of carbs a day. Varies.

hmm...definetely not low carb then lol, I had 196 today
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of new research has come out regarding the effects of carbs on blood sugar, and how that interacts with how your body uses the carbs, how they are burned, and what happens when you eat carbs that aren't needed. Rather than figure out the best time to eat them, take note of good carbs (legumes, whole grains, etc.) v bad carbs (high fructose corn syrup, processed grains, etc.) or decipher the medical mumbo jumbo that often accompanies new research, people have just decided they are taboo.

I admit, I have a list on my fridge of good and bad carbs and I try to stick to the good ones, but I have a few forbidden favorites that I just won't give up, so I budget for them and do the best I can.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet = higher risk for major heart disease issues
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with you... But i would rather do low fat, and tons of fruit and veggies and lean meat and pasta!!! lol I lost 70 pounds doing this when i was younger and i did keep it off this way for years. It wasnt until recently that i was taking care of mymom that i put on the weight well half of it back because i couldnt exercise and i went back to eating foods that were high in fat because it was available. I was so busy with her i really had to put aside those things for a while.. now im hoping to get back into it..

That's a shame you ate foods high in fat and got fat....... I bet the foods you ate were also higher in carbs and cals.........
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet = higher risk for major heart disease issues

BS
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    meh, I'm on a 'try to stay away from the bad carbs' diet. Bread and sugar are my weaknesses, so if I get most of my carbs from veggies and quinoa and rice, then I'm able to keep my calories lower, and be less prone to binge on my weakness foods. Works for me.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    PCOS here. I need a lower carb diet to lose weight.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's not a fad. Check out www.marksdailyapple.com
    Name me one other lifestyle choice change for the healthier where you can stop following it and not revert back to your former self.
    As others have stated, for the insulin resistant, its a extremely effective.
    Do some research on body chemistry and nutrition.
  • kelr04
    kelr04 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am insulin resistant too...I try to keep mine at 125 each day..It really hasn't been a problem..You just
    have to make smart food choices...Takes me a little longer in the grocery store since I have to read all
    of the labels.