Options
    Low carb diet = higher risk for major heart disease issues

not true

DITTO!
    That is FALSE!!!!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with you... But i would rather do low fat, and tons of fruit and veggies and lean meat and pasta!!! lol I lost 70 pounds doing this when i was younger and i did keep it off this way for years. It wasnt until recently that i was taking care of mymom that i put on the weight well half of it back because i couldnt exercise and i went back to eating foods that were high in fat because it was available. I was so busy with her i really had to put aside those things for a while.. now im hoping to get back into it..

That's a shame you ate foods high in fat and got fat....... I bet the foods you ate were also higher in carbs and cals.........
    And possibly sugar filled...
    Good Fat doesn't make you fat.
    Sugar, BAD fat and carbs makes you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I agree with you... But i would rather do low fat, and tons of fruit and veggies and lean meat and pasta!!! lol I lost 70 pounds doing this when i was younger and i did keep it off this way for years. It wasnt until recently that i was taking care of mymom that i put on the weight well half of it back because i couldnt exercise and i went back to eating foods that were high in fat because it was available. I was so busy with her i really had to put aside those things for a while.. now im hoping to get back into it..

That's a shame you ate foods high in fat and got fat....... I bet the foods you ate were also higher in carbs and cals.........

A surplus of calories makes you fat, doesn't matter if they are all good fats or not
  • GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Because I feel better when I eat low carb... I dont eat processed foods that are high in calories and low in vitamins and minerals. It makes sense to me eat whole foods that come frome natural sources. Many fruits and veggies have health benenfits and protien is essential for building muscle. I see no problems with eating just meat veggies and fruits. You can get all the nutrients you need ths way. There are people that eat processed junk on all diets, but I will never condone it. Everyone responds differently to different food low carb makes me feel better and keeps binging and cravings at bay. That is why I do it.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Or eating more than you burn

EDIT: acg, you beat me to it
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I believe only YOU get you fat, not carbs, fat, or protein. Excess amounts of anything (calories) will get you overweight and eventually sick.

Please stop blaming macro nutrients instead of your hands and mouth!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options

A surplus of calories makes you fat, doesn't matter if they are all good fats or not
    Well, that's really a given isn't it? Being that we are on a "Diet" website...
    If I were to have a surplus...I'd rather it be healthy foods....GOOD fats... than processed crappy foods and bad fats.
    Personal choices I suppose.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Four years ago, I did Atkins for 6 months and lost a lot weight which I have not gained back. But I also felt like *kitten* during that time, lost tons of hair and got majorly depressed. My cholesterol numbers were super high as well for some time after that. I feel like I did a lot of harm to my body.

That said, I do agree that many carbs should be eaten in moderation and any processed carbs avoided completely. We should be eating mostly whole, plant based diets anyway, with a bit of meat, a bit of sugar and a bit of fat.

Michael Pollan's 'The Omnivore's Dilemma" is a good read about eating balanced, whole foods.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I believe only YOU get you fat, not carbs, fat, or protein. Excess amounts of anything (calories) will get you overweight and eventually sick.

(:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well, that's really a given isn't it? Being that we are on a "Diet" website...
    If I were to have a surplus...I'd rather it be healthy foods....GOOD fats... than processed crappy foods and bad fats.
    Personal choices I suppose.

And yet you said "good fat doesn't make you fat" so either can or cannot make you fat, which is it?
  • mzfitns
    mzfitns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 20 grams of carbs per meal and 4-5 meals a day helps to regulate your blood sugar. This is not low carb by any means, because you end up with about 80-100 grams daily. But for those dealing with cravings, versus hunger this is the route to go. Calories might be created equal, but cravings are not. Hope this helps. I no longer crave any sugar, sweets or fatty foods.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Someone has probably said something about this already, but I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say,
    Carbs are highly processed these days, and by avoiding carbohydrates it allows your meals extra space for nutritious and mineral containing components like proteins (meats, beans) phytochemicals and fiber (greens, vegetables).

Low carb today is not the Atkins of yesterday. We are not just focused on macros-- grams of protein vs. grams of carbs-- anymore. It's about the quality of your diet and what meals shape your daily intake. For example, grilling a chicken breast with lemon is a low carb meal these days. A Big Mac with no bun was a low carb meal 10 years ago.

I see no issue with low carb diets, and find that they are extremely beneficial for the body and our biochemistry.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Someone has probably said something about this already, but I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say,
    Carbs are highly processed these days, and by avoiding carbohydrates it allows your meals extra space for nutritious and mineral containing components like proteins (meats, beans) phytochemicals and fiber (greens, vegetables).

Low carb today is not the Atkins of yesterday. We are not just focused on macros-- grams of protein vs. grams of carbs-- anymore. It's about the quality of your diet and what meals shape your daily intake. For example, grilling a chicken breast with lemon is a low carb meal these days. A Big Mac with no bun was a low carb meal 10 years ago.

I see no issue with low carb diets, and find that they are extremely beneficial for the body and our biochemistry.

Well said.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Maintaining my carbs and eating higher protein was an epiphany for me. I have never felt so good in my whole life than when it finally clicked for me that carbs make me feel sick. I am not talking about the carbs in vegetables but the carbs in bread, etc. Carbs made me feel SICK. Plus I needed to eat every two hours. I will never go back to the carby life I used to live. Never.

The flour, sugar, butter combination (carbs) was slowly killing me. Never again.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Low carb makes me feel better, sleep better, wake up happy, gets rid of sugar cravings, and the weight loss is great too.
  • CDeguc
    CDeguc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Primal. Do a little research (www.marksdailyapple.com) and it all starts to make sense.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

ding ding ding! we have a winner!
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would love all you "macros don't matter and wheat is awesome" folks to try eating nothing but your BMR in bread for 60 days. That ought to wake you up. You probably wouldn't last 7.

Paleo is meat, veggies, fruits, nuts. Dairy if you want. It's hundreds of whole foods from the perimeter of the grocery store that nutritionists tell you to eat.

Why should grass seeds be the basis of our nutrition plan, instead of salmon, broccoli, and apples?
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't get any of these fads. Just use the god damn food pyramid and you'll be fine.

Hmm No sarcasm font.

In any case, low carb simplifies a lot of decisions for people so they don't have to think too much. And it's effective. :p

Just a simple, oh, that has a lot of carbs. I can't have that.

vs

Hmm. If I eat this with this and this with that dressing will I hit this magic number that's based on today's energy expenditure... yada yada.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you do with those carbs - mine make up between 55%-65% of my diet, but are burnt up cycling 1200+ miles a month.