Why do you care what other people think?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    People. . and all their. . .caring. . bleagh!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Often I don't get it. Admittedly there are very small group of people whose opinions are important, but for the most part I could care less.

Other people's opinions can make you feel poorly about yourself.
    Other people's opinions can influence you...and often not in a positive way.
    Other people's opinions can make you be a different person.
    Words only have the power YOU give them.

So why do you care?

You said you "could care less"...great, now the grammar nazis are going to be all over this thread like white on rice.
    haha!!!! lol
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I used to. A lot. I have learned not to, but it was difficult and required a lot of self reflection. A lot of it, for me at least, was that if society saw me a certain way, then perhaps it was true and I just didn't recognize it. If a couple of people tell you the same thing about yourself, you begin to wonder if it is really truth. I will frequently have people ask on the status of my pregnancy. I am sterile and NOT pregnant...... When you have multiple people mention it, you wonder how many others are thinking it, then I got really self concious of my belly and the fact that I must LOOK PREGNANT. It hurt. It is hard to hear. It isnt so much that ONE other person's opinion mattered, it was the concern that everyone but me noticed. It did kinda spur me on to make some changes. But it made me cry far more.
    At least you didn't accidently wear a maternity swimsuit all summer. :)
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    My Mother once said to me "you dont care what people think about you".......still don't Mom!!!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Because my mother never loved me and I constantly crave the approval of strangers.
    I need them to love me, because I cannot love myself.

D:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I care what the people around me think and I care how they feel. I just happen to like myself enough to not let negativity get me down.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    cause im scared to be alone :'(
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    People often ask questions on this forum because they have come to believe that they can get honest feedback that doesn't have the same bias that would exist in their daily lives at home, work, or school for instance. Others look for feedback here because frankly they don't have other people in their lives that they can bounce ideas off of.
    Excellent points.
    Does it seem strange to give stranger's opinions more weight than your family?

No. Because the people here have many of the same goals that I do. My family, on the other hand, want me to go back to looking like them, acting like them, sounding like them. I didn't when I was younger, conformed for a while, and now I'm back to being who *I* am, not who they think I should be. And I'm having a blast being me again.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Simply put, I don't.

At an early age I was ostracised for not being like anyone else. I stopped caring what others thought of me and did my own thing. I've based my life on it.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I choose to be a Godly father for my daughters and don't ask others if they approve or not. I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be. However, I know when I screw up and don't need others to put their 2 cents in. I'm my own worse critic and don't care to hear their rendition repeated over and over.

I do care that people see me as example of how fathers should behave, but as far as what they think? I have no control over other people feelings or thoughts and I refuse to give myself that much credit or blame in the matter.

That's deep, huh? Sorry...

I love this response!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Like the wise Dr. Wayne Dyer said, "... be independent of the good opinion of others...." In other words, once you detach yourself from the opinion of others, whether is good or bad, you'll start living your life they way you're supposed to, your way. When you live your life expecting, consciously or not, a feedback from those around you, or caring what others might think about you, you're not living your own life anymore, but living for others.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think people think nice things about me, when they meet/see me. If not and they dont want to say anything about it... then screw em'. No skin off my nose!
  • darthtasha
    darthtasha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People are going to naturally put you into a category, thereby thinking of you. Because I'm usually the largest, most weirdest disgusting looking thing in the room, people have to look at yup a long time to categorize what it is you are. Female? Blob? I care about what those people may think and if they think I'm a human female or not.
  • anchoredhope
    Options
    Because humans are a herd animal and no one wants to be left out of the herd.

I love that!
    I'm stealing that if you don't mind :P
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Holy crap!! This thread is STILL going? :noway:

Hours later, and people are still giving a *kitten*.......how sad!

(Not like I care or anything :laugh: )
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't care which incidentally leads me to act unintentionally rude sometimes. I don't really care what other people think of me, but I do care about how my actions may affect them. I don't care to hurt others if possible.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't and here's why

monkey-with-a-doll-head2.gif
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Wish I was self-confident enough to believe that it doesn' t matter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    There's only a few people in my life who's opinions I truly value. If I'm cool with them then the other can SUCK IT!!!!!! People's opinions are subjective. Some think I'm an arrogant *kitten* while others see it as exuding confidence and being straight up.
    My wife thinks it's both so I'll go with her opinion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I think that what other people think of me is a reflection of how I present myself.
    If a total scummy idiot has something bad to say about me, I am happy because I would hate for them to think that I am on the same low level as them. But if a truly decent person says something negative about me, I might decide to adjust my behavior or whatever they are criticising.
    It's just another part of self-improvement