• BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for so many replies here! I just want to clarify:

Fit2Fat sets my Katch-McArdle BMR at 1371 calories.
    It has my TDEE for a sedentry lifestyle at 1669 in the boxes down the bottom.

My question basically is - It asked me to put in my goal weight when I was inputting them. So that TDEE - is that my TDEE if I was at my goal weight or my TDEE now? Basically, do I need to eat less than that to achieve a deficit? Or should I eat 1669 each day and that will allow me to reach my goal weight?

So confused by all of this :/ Almost feel ready to cry just trying to get my head around it.

I just want to know if I will lose weight at a net of 1669 or if i need to go lower to introduce a deficit.

If it shows 1,669 at the sedentary level - your deficit is already baked in. Your actual TDEE is 20% above that - the 20% is your deficit. See the narrative above the table that explains that it is what you need to eat to achieve your weight loss goal. Also note, that if you pick the sedentary level, this does not include exercise which also needs to be eaten back (or pick the average level of activity from the table and stick to that number so your exercise is already baked unto your goal)
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • VAgal123
    VAgal123 Posts: 35
    Options
    Bump
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Guys, this may be premature but I think upping my calories is working. There's been a 1lb decrease since the start of the week.

All I've done is added a protein shake to my breakfast, some turkey to my lunch and some eggs to my dinner to increase my numbers. I've not felt tired or had the mad hunger like I've had the last two weeks at all this week. I'm still not quite netting my BMR, but I'm a good 500 calories closer to it than I used to be!

I'm actually excited about getting weighed this weekend as I think I'm going to see something really good.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Guys, this may be premature but I think upping my calories is working. There's been a 1lb decrease since the start of the week.

All I've done is added a protein shake to my breakfast, some turkey to my lunch and some eggs to my dinner to increase my numbers. I've not felt tired or had the mad hunger like I've had the last two weeks at all this week. I'm still not quite netting my BMR, but I'm a good 500 calories closer to it than I used to be!

I'm actually excited about getting weighed this weekend as I think I'm going to see something really good.

good deal!!!
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay awesome! I'm goign to go with the sedentry one but it is hard to tell being a student. I spend most of my time sitting in lectures/driving/sitting on my bed studying but I also work 20 hours a week at McDonalds which is quite a fast paced and energy consuming job. But I don't think that that is enough to raise me to the next activity level on a reliable basis?

If I am eating back my excersize calories, to get to a net of my sedentry BMR will it matter if some weeks I am burning more through general activity?

I must say, i LOVE the support on these forums. Even for a poor confused soul with me who's had a bad metabolism for as long as I can remember!

Keep in mind as a young person, you don't want to under eat and get into bad habits. You are young and want to preserve as much lean muscle mass as possible and with being all day working (even though you are a student) you are better off as lightly active. Or at least in my opinion.
  • Ebilfairylight
    Options
    Just a question - is it wise to trust the MFP estimate of weight loss as the end of your food diary day when you have upped your calories to the fit2fat level? I ate pretty much perfectly on my calories today (though a little off in my protein and sodium) and when i completed the food diary for the day MFP said that I would loose 1 kg in 5 weeks... Or 2 pounds basically. Is this what I can expect or is the MFP estimate wrong?
  • harbryer
    harbryer Posts: 3
    Options
    bump, need to read more of this later!
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options

It's interesting how we think adding a few hundred calories sounds so daunting, but if you break it down into just adding a few more nutritious calories at each meal, it's pretty easy. Good for you!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Just a question - is it wise to trust the MFP estimate of weight loss as the end of your food diary day when you have upped your calories to the fit2fat level? I ate pretty much perfectly on my calories today (though a little off in my protein and sodium) and when i completed the food diary for the day MFP said that I would loose 1 kg in 5 weeks... Or 2 pounds basically. Is this what I can expect or is the MFP estimate wrong?

Well your body is too small to lose 2 lbs per week and even 1 lb might be difficult. The biggest thing is working on maintaining muscle mass and cutting body fat at your stage. If you do that, your body will be tighter and healthier than if you just lost weight. This is why it's so important to lift very heavy weights (where you fail at 8-12) reps. And if you want cardio, just do lower and upper body workouts together to have an anaerobic workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

MFP is very wrong now, because you manually set a goal that included exercise being eaten back, they know nothing about the exercise. Plus, MFP activity level may be setup so low they are nowhere near your better known TDEE.

Also, either method you go, none know your true TDEE, you are picking from 4/5 levels.

The only way to know truly how much weight loss is possible, is to go back to when you were eating with no regard to weight, what level of calories and activity had you holding old weight steady. Enter a week's worth of standard eating.
    That is your true TDEE for that level of activity.
    You could have subtracted 1000 from that figure and lost 2lbs weekly with no change to activity.

Then you estimate BMR at that time, and you have a multiplier.

But probably, more active now. You can still figure out the math if you have decent estimates of exercise calories burned. Do a weekly avg, add it on to true past TDEE, and there you go for current true TDEE.
    Now you can see what the multiplier is and what activity level you are near.

But it's really hard to go back and log foods. And it's been shown in studies the mere act of logging foods causes most to eat differently, to make better choices.

All that for, no, you can't trust MFP math estimate.
    If you do want it closer to being correct, change the MFP activity level to Very Active, which is 1.55 x BMR.
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

My question basically is - It asked me to put in my goal weight when I was inputting them. So that TDEE - is that my TDEE if I was at my goal weight or my TDEE now? Basically, do I need to eat less than that to achieve a deficit? Or should I eat 1669 each day and that will allow me to reach my goal weight?

So confused by all of this :/ Almost feel ready to cry just trying to get my head around it.

I just want to know if I will lose weight at a net of 1669 or if i need to go lower to introduce a deficit.
    It is Fat2FIt, right?
    I believe you should eat at your TDE and let your exercise create the deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options

It is Fat2FIt, right?

That's always a good method too. I like how you think.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :glasses: bump
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

It is Fat2FIt, right?

^ ^ This!

My husband and I have been doing this and so far he's lost about 8 lbs and I've shed 5. I realize that there's a huge debate on the whole "eating your exercise calories back" and "eating higher calories" however what people fail to realize is everyone is different. I do a decent job at sticking to the 1,200 calories per day. Some days I'm less but I am never hungry. I rarely eat my exercise calories back. The only time I do is when I know I'm going to over indulge and I allow myself to "tap into the reserve". Otherwise I don't do that. My goal is to lose weight and I fail to see how that can happen when I'm eating my TDE AND my exercise calories. The whole reason I exercise is to burn calories, not to eat more. Also as far as how much someone should eat (calorie wise) again every one is different and you need to find out what works for YOU. If eating your exercise calories back works for you then by all means do it but it's not something that will work for everyone.

Besides, studies have shown that a reduced calorie life style will keep you healthier and give you a longer life in the long run. I know when I hit my goal weight rather than switch to maintenance I'll probably continue to eat the way I have been.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

It is Fat2FIt, right?

If you read the blurb above the table it makes it clear that this is the amount you should eat to lose weigh - it already has the deficit built in. The number isn't actually your TDEE - its about 80% of your TDEE - the 20% being your deficit.

Assuming you are pretty consistent with your exercise, just eat the calories in the row for the level of activity you are on.