Chia seed.....

Options
Rayjewls
Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
Just started taking chia seeds this week and I notice a difference in my energy level.It's not like it's making me run around like a wild rabbit but I haven't been feeling sleepy at work at all. and I've lost a pound every day since Sunday. Has anyone else taken it and what were your benefits?

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I almost bought some so I'm interested in hearing reviews.
  • Rayjewls
    Options
    Get some...they are a little weird looking and the texture is unusaul but it is worth the benefits.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no,,, but i have heard about this,,and it is very interesting,,,would love to know more,
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    how much do you take? is it daily?
  • lizarene3
    lizarene3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I bought some of these a month ago and have yet to try them! My brother-in-law is taking them, a tablespoon with a full glass of water in the mornings, he says they keep him full for several hours.

Again, I haven't gotten up the nerve to try them yet, how are you ingesting them?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm going to have to try this. Chia, better for more than just growing green "pets" in your kitchen! LOL!

I first heard about them on Dr. Oz. Then I got an article on WebMD about it too. Seems to be true that they help with weight loss, energy levels and sleep patterns (to some extent).

Sprinkle them in your morning cereal, over salads, or in stir-fries and sauces. I couldn't imagine just swallowing a tablespoon of the loose seeds!
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love Chia! I add one tablespoon to my cottage cheese. If you mix them with water and let it sits the seeds form a gel that you can use in recipes. They really don't have a taste, more texture. I don't find they give me more energy, but they do help me from getting hungry too soon! They are so high in antioxidents they don't go rancid (like flax can), they are digestible in their natural state (flax has to be ground in order to be absorbed by the body), high in protein and fiber. They also help keep you "regular!"
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a salesperson at my local grocery store about ground flax, chia seeds, coconut oil & safflower oil (which has been sold out for two weeks per Dr. Oz talking about it - I read about the health benefits in a health mag)... glad to have a personal review on the chia though! Will be sure to go pick some up!

Anyone use coconut oil? Thoughts? Recipes?
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm going to have to try this. Chia, better for more than just growing green "pets" in your kitchen! LOL!

I first heard about them on Dr. Oz. Then I got an article on WebMD about it too. Seems to be true that they help with weight loss, energy levels and sleep patterns (to some extent).

Sprinkle them in your morning cereal, over salads, or in stir-fries and sauces. I couldn't imagine just swallowing a tablespoon of the loose seeds!

I was just going to ask if you water them will they grow into "pets" lol
  • gawfer69
    gawfer69 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been using them for a few weeks now and find them to be a great "sponge" for the belly. I take a tablespoon 15-30 minutes, mixed in water, before I have a meal. The seeds absorb 10 times their weight in water so you get full faster, thus eat less food, give em a try, they are really pretty chaep. I got the organic chia seeds at Whole Foods, bulk aisle for a mere $6.99./lb. a lb. would last at least a month...

They are loaded with anti-oxidents (more than blueberries) calcium, more than whole milk, Omega-3, more than salmon and tons of insoluble fiber. Energy is definitely up, and it seems that I sleep better, of course regular exercise helps with sleep too.

Good luck!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Well if they will keep me full longer and give me more energy I'm running to the store to buy some. I knew I should have picked them up at Costco's when I saw them there. Thanks for the reviews.
  • Rayjewls
    Options
    I take 1 tbsp. And add it to a 16 oz. bottle of water...let it sit for 10 mi.. And then drink. I'm sure there are other ways to eat them but this is just what I've been doing. Oh...and have another bottle of water handy...i like to keep adding water helps me keep drinking so I don't notice the texture...:drinker:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Love Chia! I add one tablespoon to my cottage cheese. If you mix them with water and let it sits the seeds form a gel that you can use in recipes. They really don't have a taste, more texture. I don't find they give me more energy, but they do help me from getting hungry too soon! They are so high in antioxidents they don't go rancid (like flax can), they are digestible in their natural state (flax has to be ground in order to be absorbed by the body), high in protein and fiber. They also help keep you "regular!"

Bump. I actually got some. And I like them in chocolate soymilk. I want to try them in cottage cheese. That sounds good. I haven't noticed any additional weight losses from having them yet.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Do you people know that you post "bump" when you have nothing else to say and just want to follow the thread?
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love using Chia seeds so much! I put them in my protein smoothies in the morning, and I'm full for hours, I concentrate better in class, I have more energy.... And believe it or not, my hair is starting to grow back in, fill out, and get thicker!!!! Happy news for a cancer survivor!
  • birdsmom1
    birdsmom1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Bumping for later!!
  • PinkZinnias
    Options
    I've been adding a tablespoon of Chia seed to my oatmeal in the morning for a couple months now and I love it! It makes me feel fuller and has fiber, protein, omega 3 and 6, calcium and iron. It's amazing how good those little seeds are for you. It adds a texture to the oatmeal that I like but it doesn't change the taste at all.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump.... gotta get to bed, yet really interested
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Been using them daily for nearly 2 weeks with no noticeable effects.
  • AmyLRussell
    Options
    Love Chia seeds! I add them to soups, caseroles, smoothies, protein shakes! My family never even notices them in their food .