Diet pills - anyone use them?

Options

Replies

• mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me a prescription for Phentermine. I dropped 10 pounds right away, then nothing for 3 months. Once I started back at school (I'm a teacher) I lost another 10 pounds. At that time I was only using it on the weekends. My doctor said I could start another round of 6 months if I want, but I've been doing it on my own now.

I was worried that it would mess up my metabolism and plus it was only a temporary fix.
  • Mindyluvsteve
    Mindyluvsteve Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't use diet pills but I do take supplements, after having my third child my body changed into a crazy mess... I don't take things to make me feel full or anything like that but I take things that help me feel better I have been taking my vitamins for 4 months now and I feel great, I have energy, and this website helps a lot... Knowing what I eat and how much I exercise helps more than any diet pill I have ever taken. When I did take diet pills in the past they made me feel so sick and gave me heart palpitations. Please be cautious, your body can only take so much...
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    Phentermine is a magic. I lost over 30 lbs 5 years ago and kept it off for over 3 years. Unfortunately I've gained most of it back due to a sports injury.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that anytime I try to use diet pills for some reason they make me more hungry. I don't know if it is something wrong with me personally but they do the oposite of what they are supposed to do. This site is the best success I have ever had with weight loss and with sticking to a plan.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    agree!
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    wow, I hope everyone is kidding about the street drugs! I never used diet pills, because I cannot even tolerate caffiene in coffee above one cup. Also, I hear that they affect your heart and kidneys adversely. I just diet and exercise. It takes longer, but I know that going slow will lead to lifestyle changes that will keep me fit in the long run. And I'm in it for the long run.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    my husband used them (xenadrine) only for 30 days to kick start his metabolism. more to give him energy to start working out. after the 30 days he just watched his food intake and kept working out for 6 days a week (weights/cardio) and lost 45 pounds in 6 months. He has never regained the weight back and he still works out regularly. that was 5 yrs ago!

that was him though, i dont take any. i just try to eat clean and exercise regularly.

i guess to each his own.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a magic quick fix :P...

With that said, I take free pill, called "eat right and workout" :D... Seriously though, diet pills are a no go, do it the healthy way. If you use a diet pill to get it off, you might lose it, but what happens when you're done taking them? Let's not forget about side effects. What is the point in diet pills when changing your lifestyle is free and once you get passed the mind game, it becomes easier. It never get's easy but you just get better at it. Pointless diet pills are a waste of money.

Learn about your BMR, find out what you need for your body, eat the right amount of calories, take out the garbage in your diet, and workout. Food was put on this earth for us to survive not for us to indulge in. Any quick fix diet can work without the pills, they usually want you to starve yourself, you don't need over the counter drugs for that.

Edit to add:// if energy is the issue, get you some One a day vitamins, I take the One a day women's active metabolism. Has great stuff your body needs and helps jump kick that metabolism best part is, no crazy side effects.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are tempting but they are also dangerous, expensive and unneeded.

Xenadrine isn't recommended to be used without doctor supervision due to a long list of drug reactions. It contains a lot of caffeine like most diet pill, it's not FDA approved and the long term effects are unknown.

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and skip the pills and lose weight the healthy way with diet and exercise.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few but always end up doscontinuing use after about a week. I get too jittery and paranoid, and I don't think they really do anything.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have take a lot of pills and supplements over the years.....and I've always gained the weight back, quickly. This time, I'm just doing good-old-fashioned eating right & exercising.
    I've lost 24lbs since December (14 after I joined MFP) and I plan on keeping it off for the rest of my life by continuing to eat right and exercise.

If you want long term results, you have to change your life. You can't expect to pop a pill for a few months, lose some weight, and then keep it off once you go back to your old habits. Our bodies don't work like that.

If pills were the answer, wouldn't we all be skinny by now?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I was taking diet pills but I had to cut them out because they were three calories each and I have trouble sticking to 45 calories per day as it is!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Not worth the time, money or the side effects.

I made the mistake of testing out just about everything on the market when I was a teenager and looking for a "quick fix."
    7 years later, the harm they did then to my body is still occasionally sending me to the hospital.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself not to be an idiot, and that this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a 30 day plan to quickly lose weight and somehow magically keep it off by eating junk food and taking pills.

Return your pills. Be smart.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    the only pill I take is my multivitamin :smile:
  • Amygrl559
    Amygrl559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input! I did look up the side effects and they are scary. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I do understand that this is a healthier lifestyle I'm working towards. And I have been eating a lot healthier and I work out almost everyday. I just been dieting on and off for years and I guess I was looking for something that would jump start my weightloss. I usually have no energy in the afternoon and i really have to push myself to workout. MFP has been great and I'm so glad I found you guys. The support is awesome! :smile:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input! I did look up the side effects and they are scary. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I do understand that this is a healthier lifestyle I'm working towards. And I have been eating a lot healthier and I work out almost everyday. I just been dieting on and off for years and I guess I was looking for something that would jump start my weightloss. I usually have no energy in the afternoon and i really have to push myself to workout. MFP has been great and I'm so glad I found you guys. The support is awesome! :smile:

Please don't diet lol, diet's are no good either :P
  • mrswoc
    mrswoc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Being a nurse I have seen more than a few patients who have used either prescription meds or over the counter pills/supplements to lose weight. Most are not really good for you in the long run. As well, you already know that really changing your 'diet' (dont like to use that word, but in this case I mean, the normal amount of food you eat), and adding more exercise/activity will help more to lose weight. For the most part, any of the weight you may lose, wont stay off once you stop taking the pills, if they work at all. Unless you are ready and willing to put a lot money into the 'miracle' pills, I would just manage with good food decisions and activity. You CAN do this!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Well, Welcome to MFP! And I agree - don't diet! Change your life and you will see some amazing changes in your body. There are plenty of people here to help and support you (and lots of opinions to sift through - but that's the internet!).
  • rcarri
    rcarri Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I prefer meth. I see results alot faster.

Once you lose all of your teeth, you'll weigh even less!

Actually, I am taking a diet pill in addition to eating better and working out. It doesn't seem to be making any difference at all whatsoever.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was taking diet pills but I had to cut them out because they were three calories each and I have trouble sticking to 45 calories per day as it is!
    same problem here. I heard meth is zero calories.