Eating Out

Options
So I am new to MFP...but have been dieting on and off for the past year. Now that most restaurants offer a nutritional guide on their sites...my eyes are seeing what my stomach was gaining. Salads over 1300 calories!!! Are there some restaurant chains that seem to be better than others? I don't want to be limited to to having fish everywhere I go...but don't want 1000+ of my 1200 a day calories to be wasted on fajitas or a salad. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Between the restaurant websites, Google, and the MFP database, I am able to find many restaurant foods and decide on what to eat (or at least what NOT to eat) before choosing a restaurant.
  • AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You could try splitting a dish with a friend, or asking for light dressing on the side so that you don't use all of it.
  • jennurban333
    Options
    I'm trying to do my research before getting to the restaurant...but the foods I thought were better for you I am finding out are not. I'm better off having a steak than a salad! I was looking at Applebys since that is where we are supposed to go tomorrow...and I could not believe the calories and sodium levels.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do my research before getting to the restaurant...but the foods I thought were better for you I am finding out are not. I'm better off having a steak than a salad! I was looking at Applebys since that is where we are supposed to go tomorrow...and I could not believe the calories and sodium levels.

A steak for sure is better, especially if it comes with boiled potatoes rather than chips (or fries).
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The trick for me is rarely ordering anything that is specifically listed on the menu as a single meal.

Regardless of available nutrition info, almost anywhere I go out I can order a small or large house salad with no cheese and no dressing (or low fat/low cal dressing on the side) with a grilled chicken breast on top and a side of steamed veggies.

Easy enough to estimate calories using MFP too... 2-4 cups mixed greens, 8-10 oz chicken breast and 1-2 cup steamed vegetable mix. Do something like this and you are looking at a dinner around 500 calories or less almost every time.

If you get stressed about logging estimates or guesses then just make a habit of trying to overestimate slightly and you might feel better about it.

It is great when restaurants have their nutritional info available, however I usually find that all regular menu meals are too high for my goals anyway.

This is pretty easy for me now, but I've had a couple years of practice so give yourself time to learn as you go. Good luck!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    Going to restaurants are challenging. You mentioned Applebee's....they have the Weight Watcher menu. I'd check that out. One of my favorite restaurants is Cheesecake Factory...they have this fabulous skinnylious menu with over 50 items to choose from. I ate an amazing flat bread there this past weekend for only 450 calories.

Buffets can be good...scan the bar first. Find the steamed veggies, lean steaks, baked potatoes, salad bars, etc. You can eat healthy at a buffet just be choosy and stay clear away from the dessert bar.
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I had a jalapeno lime shrimp dish from Applebees recently, it was under 500 and delish. I'm not a big Applebee's fan but they have a whole Weight Watchers menu. Do you have a BJ's Brewhouse in your are? They carry under 500 menu that us great. Do you like Sushi? Vietnemese? Both healthy and yummy! (depending on what you order)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to fish with vegetables and potatoes when I can, or the 500 calorie or less pizza at pizza express here in the Uk.
    My only issue really is when I am taken to the chinese...chinese food is so calorie dense, and I have no idea what the best things to choose are, out of the fish and vegetarian dishes. They all seem to be so sauce and sodiun heavy, though admittedly, I only get a chinese perhaps 3 times a year when I see my mother.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Men's Health's "Eat This, Not That" guide is super helpful if you really can't keep yourself away from unhealthy restaurants/fast food places. You can get a lot of the ever-growing guide online, or a big old book of it.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I get a burger with no bun or steak and veggies (or potatoes). I also don't eat grains, so that makes a difference. Really, an actual hamburger isn't the most caloric thing you can order, the toppings and bun add so many calories!! Outback has a steak with side option that ends up being not too bad calorie wise.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I always check online before eating out. I check to see what the lowest cal/healthiest thing is on the menu & stick to that when I get there. I love all of the Applebees under 550 calorie meals. Olive Garden's Apricot Chicken is great. If I go to a Mongolian type buffet, I ask for very light olive oil & no soy sauce when they grill my meat & veggies that I choose myself. If the menu isn't online, I tend to stick to chicken breast or grilled salmon, skip the bread & ask for dressings on the side. It's got to be doable if it's for life. :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Applebees has ridiculous sodium levels for their U550 & Weight Watchers menu.

I have the Creamy Parm. Chicken (its on the WW menu) and it had low sodium (considering what it was up against) and actually tasted pretty good. I did one of their U550 steaks and it was awful
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread is AWESOME...
    I'm lucky because my husband will usually split something with me, so I can get a more "splurgy" meal but split it with him. I try to eat my 1/2 meal slowly and drink plenty of water. Usually 1/2 is more than enough. My husband will get a side salad, or an extra side of fries to fill HIM up, too.

If I want to splurge, sometimes I will just make sure to eat SUPER lean and healthy all day, work out, then splurge... I don't do that ALL the time, but sometimes.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    I sometimes dread eating out because I know it can be a huge diet buster! I am the worst at places like Chili's with their bottomless chips and salsa. To me, the chips and salsa are like a trigger food. As soon as I start, I can't stop. So I try to fill up on water while my friends or family munch away.

I advise to ALWAYS plan ahead when eating out. Go online and look at nutritional information.
    Veggies are always a safe bet, as well as grilled chicken. Salad is safe only if you get rid of the fried chicken, cheese, creamy dressings, and croutons. Soups and chili is good only if the soup is broth based.

I've never tried this, but apparently you can ask for half of your food on the plate, and the other half in a to-go container. I am going to give it a try. I always feel like I have to finish my plate if it's in front of me. If it's in a to-go box already, I will be less likely to finish it. Plus I can have the other half the next day for lunch!

I know it's tricky to refrain from ordering a nice juicy burger, especially since eating out is a "treat." But think of how powerful you will feel if you order something healthy. You will walk away with the best feeling, and will be one step closer to reaching your goal!

Good luck!
  • dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for the MFP data base. Did you know that Dairy Queen has a 50 calorie fudge bar? Now when my sweetheart wants to go get a blizzard for himself, I don't have to be left out, or sit there sipping ice water. The fudge bars are so delish!
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Seasons 52's entire menu is 475 per meal if you have one near you. I haven't been yet, as the nearest one is over an hour away, but the foodie in me salivates when I look at their menu online.

Many restaurants have an ala carte menu, so maybe you can order a steak or grilled chicken breast, and then get a salad or healthily prepared veggies on the side.

You can also earn calories by exercising, which is what I try to do when I know I'm going to a restaurant that has a lot of calorie-heavy foods
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almost every restaurant offers an optional side of vegetables, even if it's not listed on the menu. This saves me at Mexican restaurants.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I know it's tricky to refrain from ordering a nice juicy burger, especially since eating out is a "treat." But think of how powerful you will feel if you order something healthy. You will walk away with the best feeling, and will be one step closer to reaching your goal!

This! What a wonderful motivation!
  • jennurban333
    Options
    Thanks all...these helps. Yes...know about DQ's fudge bar...they are great (and not puny). Will definitely use a lot of these suggestions. Will have to try being specific in my ordering and be intentional. Do my research first...and schedule a treat for myself for sticking to it as an incentive.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Boston Market, you can get steamed veggies, and beans or corn as sides. Should get you in about 750-800 including the cornbread.