Not really diet related, but...

Options
I just happened to realize that Easter is NEXT WEEKEND. And I haven't put any thought as to what to put inside the eggs we hide for our kids (6 and 3). I am about 95% against candy for them (they get it once in a very great while), so I'm looking for ideas of healthy snacks or other ideas.

So far, I've got coins, nuts, yogurt raisins. In the past we've also done dried fruit. Any other thoughts out there? I don't want them to feel like they're being deprived, but at the same time, they don't need to be eating a bunch of crap. Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I put nickles, dimes, quaters and dollars in mine.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    stickers!!!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Our girls' eggs have some candy but also stickers, tattoos, jewellery, that sort of stuff.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a small controlled amount of candy so they won't feel deprived. I think you are to be commended for providing a healthier Easter for your little ones. I think if it was a little bit of candy, they would burn it off rather quickly. If you are totally opposed to the idea, how about tickets to do fun things with Mom or Dad. Tickets you could print up and say, "One trip to the park" or something like that. Some activity they like to do with you or maybe a ticket saying you will read a favorite book or a ticket to stay up 15 minutes past bedtime. Fun things.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a small controlled amount of candy so they won't feel deprived. I think you are to be commended for providing a healthier Easter for your little ones. I think if it was a little bit of candy, they would burn it off rather quickly. If you are totally opposed to the idea, how about tickets to do fun things with Mom or Dad. Tickets you could print up and say, "One trip to the park" or something like that. Some activity they like to do with you or maybe a ticket saying you will read a favorite book or a ticket to stay up 15 minutes past bedtime. Fun things.

Love this!! My little guy loves stuff like this, but I never thought about it for Easter! I'm really lucky in that my son doesn't like sweets at all (in fact, he prefers pumpkin pie for his birthday, but no whipped cream. WHAT???), but it makes it more difficult on Easter and Halloween. Great idea!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Thanks for your ideas! They are both getting small "banks" of tootsie rolls. I'm okay with these more than any other type of candy I think. I'm sure my husband will talk me into getting some starburst jelly beans, but maybe we'll make that a family treat from the Easter Bunny! :)

I just really feel like they're going to eat enough crappy food in their lives that right now, when I'm in control of what they eat, I can reduce it a little bit!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We have three boys and we always do a SMALL amount of candy (seriously small since they each get another TWO baskets from grandparents) and then we go to the dollar store and pick out all kinds of plastic bugs and snakes, tattoo's and stickers. This year I think I am going to get them each a HEX bug since they love them so much....matchbox cars, chalk, bubbles and GUM....oh my gosh my boys love gum! LOL!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    We do money in some of them, but we also do some candy. My son is very limited in his candy/sugar intake (he has ADHD so sugar is a bad word in our house) but I also know a little candy here and there isn't going to hurt him. It might make me need to have a drink or two, but I can deal with a day of his hyperness.

I know I'd be PISSED if I opened an Easter egg and there were raisins or something like that in it!
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My mom used to get like small puzzles, bouncy balls, for girls play jewelry.
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Shopko has a whole rack of little things up by the checkout counters (i.e. headbands, cars, stickers, etc.) from $1.00 to $3.00. Also, I know this isn't the healthiest idea, but McDonalds does a coupon sheet for $1.00. I personally haven't bought one, but I saw it the other day when I went through the drive in (yep, i gave in and got a egg mcmuffin for breakfast). It has coupons for things like a free ice cream cone, etc.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    We would get one special gift basket and have to hunt for it like a scavenger hunt with clues (Because yours are so small you could make it like blues clues) in the basket would be a little Treat and then a small toy or a note book also maybe a movie for a family movie night