13»

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    The body is 70% water.
    The world is 70% water.
    It's the best thing ever!
    Especially on ice :smile:

I dont see the need to drink anything else.
    It flushes out the temple, that is the body.
    Believe it or not, it keeps water weight down.
    64oz of water really isnt that much

to top it off, it's great for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just feel better when I am well-hydrated. I average about 100oz a day. I don't have skin or regularity issues. My doctors like it since I am prone to kidney infections and I havent had a UTI since upping my intake to this level. I don't need "cleansing" and I don't have issues with water retention from sodium or TOM. Plus, I just prefer the taste of cold water.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The body is 70% water.
    The world is 70% water.

This totally made me think of the old Tom Green show when he wanted to swim across Lake Michigan. He said "The body is 80% water, so that means only 20% of me has to swim." hahahaha
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, what about flavored sparkling water, like the ICE brand - sweetened with Splenda. Would you count a 17 oz bottle (average size) as 2 glasses of water consumption? I am slowly working my way up to 64 oz of plain water. - coming from the "I don't like the taste or lack of taste" way.

I would count all non-alcoholic liquids if I were counting.
  • narrington77
    narrington77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i've researched this before, but since everyones body is different i can say that for me, this is why I drink water ( i try and drink between 12-15 8 oz cups a day):

1.) yeah, i've noticed its help me be regular
    2.) skin better
    3.) all around just helps me feel better, i feel gross when i'm dehydrated

but biggest reason for me is that i tend to realllly retain water.. badly. and as an experiment i went from 8 glasses a day to 12-15 and its helped me keep my weight down and also lose more. my weight was stalling for a couple weeks. i finally broke past my stall after increasing my intake.

same calories, ate the same kinds of stuff..#shrug
  • minuet42
    minuet42 Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't track mine, but I know I drink far more than the recommended amount (at minimum, on a work day, I'll drink around 6L/235+oz.). Mostly, it's because I feel thirsty, or I'm trying to ward off a computer headache. I find myself more thirsty on active days, because I'm usually too busy to drink like I do when I'm seated at my desk, which I suppose is a small irony...

The goal - pee clear, pee lots! (Also, acne problems mostly gone, even though I was never a huge soda drinker. It's a nice perk!)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Water is necessary because it helps facilitate all the chemical reactions that happen in your body. Every time you have a nerve impulse, you have chemicals released in a watery substance, because they need water to dissolve and react. When your muscles activate, they require potassium and sodium ions to do so; they can't be ions without water. Your blood needs a certain water level to transport nutrients. You need water. The more balanced your water is, the more balanced your body will be.

Most people are actually dehydrated and don't know it, because the body is really, really good at adapting, so it'll retain more water when there isn't much available. Try upping your water intake and see how you feel. You'll probably notice only good things, because let's face it, water is just awesome.
  • zombiegirl1313
    zombiegirl1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    well said... i 2nd your post :-)
  • dracoxesmaralda
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water does help to reduce appetite as a lot of times people mistake being thirsty for being hungry. You can have too much of a good thing though guys. Drinking too much water and over-hydrating yourself can cause an electrolyte imbalance which leads to hyponatremia. This is caused when your sodium and water balance is out of whack and it can make you VERY sick.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm ex-military and I have been taught and learned to follow a formula for water drinking for a variety of reasons.

The forumla is take your weight divide it by 2 and then the answer and divide it by 8. As your weight decreases you decrease your water.

Here is a link where you can read why.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/health/water-plus-oxygen-equals-weight-loss

Great article! Thanks for posting!!
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

Research measuring water loss has shown that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks. All non-alcoholic drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest.

That's good I can manage 1.2 litres of liquid easily enough