Do I bother to finish J/M Metabolism book...I'm irritated

Hi all

I know some folks here are HUGE Biggest Loser or Jillian Michael's fans....but for several reasons the show rubs me the wrong way
BUT, I have to say I purchased J/M 30 day shred and fat boost metabolism DVD's and they kick my behind and some

J/M new book about metabolism is getting on my last nerve and I'm only on the first few chapters (got it FREE, would have never purchased it)...I'm irritated that she is getting paid HUGE bucks to basically state the obvious....
So, she is telling me if I eat often, cut out ALL processed foods and eat healthy/organic...I'll be healthy and thin...say it ain't so? :noway:

What else irks me BIG TIME is her complaining about her last 15 pounds she couldn't loose....over and over.....
As if The biggest loser would have hired her if she was a flabby out of shape mess...I know internally she states she had stuff going on, but c'mon already
Was she complaining about weighing in at 130 when she wanted to be 115 *GASP*

Am I missing something.....should I continue to read this book?

Kim

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I don't like her and watched about 2 episodes of the biggest loser and she is a huge turn off to me.

I would not purchase anything that will give her $$$$$. That is how much I don't like her. I will not contribute to making her rich.
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Um wow I was thinking about getting the book but I think I will pass now. If you feel that the book is "common sense" knowledge & overall a waste of your time then I say don't waste your time on it. Others might say finish it give it a chance but time is valuable don't waste it on something you don't think is beneficial. And thanks for the insight I won't bother with the book...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    I heartily agree. She did what Susan Powter did 20 years ago. Amazing how that same old song and dance can make ya a millionaire!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Um wow I was thinking about getting the book but I think I will pass now. If you feel that the book is "common sense" knowledge & overall a waste of your time then I say don't waste your time on it. Others might say finish it give it a chance but time is valuable don't waste it on something you don't think is beneficial. And thanks for the insight I won't bother with the book...

I'm curious to see what other who have finished the book think
    BUT for now I can tell you it's nothing earth shattering.....eat clean/healthy unprocessed foods....eat often......
    The book mentions she spends about 5 hrs per week in the gym and eats roughly 1800-2000 cals
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I was totally in LOVE with JM, until I read her book. She is extremist and what I would consider plain old nuts. I was totally irritated with her contradicting (in her book) everything she peddles on the Biggest Loser. Those ziploc microwave bags, subway etc...
    I loved 30 day Shred. It increased my strength 10 fold.
    But her... ick.

Now my :heart: belongs to Bob.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    I have to say that I personally like her but understand that she's a bit hard to take for some, so thats ok. The first few chapters of the book were hard for me to get thru too, but once I got past it I did find useful things in it. She knows her stuff, in my opinion.

I think its like anything else though...read thru it, be open to the information and then use what you can use and discard the stuff you cant put to use.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I was totally in LOVE with JM, until I read her book. She is extremist and what I would consider plain old nuts. I was totally irritated with her contradicting (in her book) everything she peddles on the Biggest Loser. Those ziploc microwave bags, subway etc...
    But her... ick.

I know, hypocricy at its finest.
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Thank you Kimber for the summarization and TuscanySun I appreciate your view on the book...I have brought so many books and it seems they bore me and all the info is stuff I know but just haven't put into action.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Mojogurl... I have heard different people mention she says not to use plastic containers/ zip loc bags? Do you know why? Just curious what her reasoning for that would be. Thanks :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    plastics when heated up can leech toxins... as far as I understand it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I heartily agree. She did what Susan Powter did 20 years ago. Amazing how that same old song and dance can make ya a millionaire!

Ha, I forgot about Susan Powter...what a character she was back in the day.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I don't watch biggest loser or read her books--but if what she is saying in her book is only common sense, that does not say much about the American public's nutritional/health savvy.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'll let Jillian speak for herself:

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/910576/biggest_loser_trainer_caught_on_mic?wpid=1904

Yeesh. :-)

After seeing the above I'd not purchase anything that put $ in her pocket either.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Mojogurl... I have heard different people mention she says not to use plastic containers/ zip loc bags? Do you know why? Just curious what her reasoning for that would be. Thanks :)
    I bought both her books and can't seem to be able to sit and read them. However, I know the Mayo Clinic has stated that when plastic gets hot, it leaks toxins into the food and/or water and causes cancer. So they say not to heat your food in the microwave using plastic containers. They also say not to drink water from plastic bottles for the same reason. I'm guessing this is why she has said not to use them.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    I bought both her books and can't seem to be able to sit and read them. However, I know the Mayo Clinic has stated that when plastic gets hot, it leaks toxins into the food and/or water and causes cancer. So they say not to heat your food in the microwave using plastic containers. They also say not to drink water from plastic bottles for the same reason. I'm guessing this is why she has said not to use them.

The U.S. Army, while providing ONLY plastic bottled water for their soldiers in Iraq, and elsewhere, has educated their soldiers on the toxicity of the water they are consuming in said plastic containers. This doesn't even address the pH of the water that most of us are consuming nowadays.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/910576/biggest_loser_trainer_caught_on_mic?wpid=1904

After seeing the above I'd not purchase anything that put $ in her pocket either.

Wow ... she sure gets a lot of "bleeps" in an interview eh?
  • XFitMojoMom

HAHA...
    yes, definitely not normal.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    But her... ick.

I don't know how someone can keep exercising they way she talks to them, that's why I've always loved Bob, plus I LOVE his tat on his arm :blushing:
  • XFitMojoMom
    But her... ick.

I don't know how someone can keep exercising they way she talks to them, that's why I've always loved Bob, plus I LOVE his tat on his arm :blushing:
    Yes, Bob *is* beautiful:love:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    I don't watch biggest loser or read her books--but if what she is saying in her book is only common sense, that does not say much about the American public's nutritional/health savvy.

Agreed!

However, I have a slightly different take on Jillian and The Biggest Loser. I haven't read her books and I don't watch the show (although I HAVE seen it once or twice). I only care about getting the word out to people that we need to be consuming whole foods and exercising regularly. There are sooooooooooo many variables that have come into our lives over the last 30 years that our parents didn't have to deal with! Microwaves, plastic bottled water, bigger portions, processed foods, fast foods, HFCS, etc. As the information comes in, we need to pay attention to the little voices that are crying out "Foul!" Cuz, usually, the big voices are the ones who are greedy and want to keep us trapped as consumers.

So, while Jillian may be espousing what many of us already know, I would have to say that there are many, many, many more people who do not know this information and if this TV show, book, website, whatever! helps to get the word out, in a way that more folks will understand, then I'm all for it!

Sell the book on eBay and buy one that will inspire you!

All the best on your journey!!

:flowerforyou: