Pop, Soda, or ?

Options

Replies

• k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    in west virginia most of us say "pop" :) although, my sister traveled a lot when she was younger, and she picked up the word "soda"
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Used to call it soda.

But my boyfriend is from Michigan and calls it pop.
    I've been around him so much that I call it pop now too.

I think it sounds more appealing that way. :)
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I called it pop intell my grandpa told me that if i ask for a pop again he was gonna pop me and that i better call it soda..so now i call it soda lol
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I call it a chaser or mixer for the alcoholically weak.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    it's soda. everyone who calls it "pop" is wrong. ;)

I went to the popvssoda.com site and looked at WA state. I wondered what some of the "other" categories were and found this:

<1 the only time i use pop is when i pop a cap in someones *kitten* for calling it pop....its soda>

Lmfao! But no really,,,Its soda
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Colorado and called it "Pop" I moved to Washington, DC about 10 years ago and was made fun of for saying Pop so I started saying soda. Now I live back in Colorado and I still say soda (pop sounds really weird to me now) and get made fun of for it! I can't win. ;-)
  • Charabbidan
    Charabbidan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I called it pop as a child and refer to it as a soft drink in conversation now. I only ever order diet coke (whether it's coca cola or pepsi - I know it's technically cola but I don't know anyone who calls it that :smile: )

I'm in England and don't personally know anyone who calls it soda - if they did they would likely get weird looks and asked when they became American :laugh:
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Being from Pittsburgh PA....IT"S POP!!
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm from Ohio and it's pop. My husband (who grew up in the same town as me) insists on calling it soda. He is wrong. :wink:

Also, here our meals are breakfast, lunch, and dinner (or supper - they are interchangable.)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm in England, I call it pop, I sometimes refer to it as fizzy pop and I haven't really heard it called anything else in my area. I think in general most parts of the UK refer to it as pop or fizzy drink.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Grew up on "Soda"(Connecticut)....moved to Florida...they call it "Soda Pop"
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Cola...
  • yasmine36
    yasmine36 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I live in California and I call it soda or coke, whichever I feel like. Never called it pop, but some of the older generations here do.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Cola or Coke. Grew up in the south. I don't drink it anymore, though.
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    I always start to call it Coke in general because I grew up in the south, but I try NOT to sound southern...so I call it Soda, lol.
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I always thought us Canadians called it pop and Americans, soda.

This is what I thought too, mainly because when I cross the border into Washington State they call it soda.....
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i grew up calling it soda or coke. thought I was in a foreign country when I moved to WA and people kept saying pop. I really dont like the word...
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I grew up calling it coke but lately just name what i want usually Mt dew - though for brown sodas its coke (whether its pepsi, coke, etc..)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I always thought us Canadians called it pop and Americans, soda.

This is what I thought too, mainly because when I cross the border into Washington State they call it soda.....

Eh? I was born and raised here in Washington state... we call it POP. Must be them feriners what moved in...
  • ashhhhole
    ashhhhole Posts: 74
    Options
    I grew up saying pop, but I moved to Boston for a couple years so now I say both pop and soda. I find myself pausing almost every time I say one of those words.. Its like I have to consider where I am and how people are going to react. It is truly ridiculous.