I need sodium advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, drinking water is good, yes, but it won't get rid of the excess sodium for you... you need to make sure you are getting enough potassium for that. Potassium and sodium go hand in hand with regulating the fluids in our bodies, so it's pretty important!
  • RebekahKuhl
    RebekahKuhl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2000 and 2500 calories and stay under 95% of the time. You can check out my diary if you'd like. I've spent a lot of time looking for the lowest sodium options of most foods - bread, tortillas, canned veggies, etc. I generally stay away from most processed foods also. :smile:
  • skyocom
    skyocom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unless you have blood pressure issues you can try balancing the sodium you take in by increasing your potassium intake.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm always over in sodium, but my blood pressure is great and it doesn't bother me otherwise. I dont really retain much water from it. I'm super poor, so sometimes completely clean eating is out of the picture. I try my best. Sorry I'm not much help. I am just not one of the sodium snobs.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium intake under 1500 daily. I eat about 1600 cals daily (give or take a 100). It's not easy. Most prepackaged and preprocessed foods are out. Restaurants are very tricky and often times the only recourse is to special order without salt (many places are unable to do this as they don't actually prepare the food in their restaurants - it arrives already seasoned from some place and they just warm it up, so be warned.)

But here are some things I've found that may be of help to you:

Lowest sodium of all the major cereals that I've found is Total Raisin Bran.

Lowest sodium healthy bread: Sara Lee whole grain white.

Instead of mayo, try mashed avocado.

Cookies: Iberia Galletes Maria

Don't be fooled by low sodium soups and broths, they're still loaded with sodium.

If you do go over on sodium, be sure to drink extra water. I know this sounds backwards since sodium makes you retain water, but by drinking an excess of 8 glasses, it helps flush it from your system.

Hope some of the info helps. Feel free to friend me. I'll be as supportive as I can.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My husband is on a strict low salt diet. I have found that organic foods are less in sodium. Use fresh ingredients as much as possible. Anything processed will be over loaded with sodium. Cook from scratch whenever time allows. And learn to read labels. I am usually consistent having my sodium less than 1500 per day.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    To the poster who asked about sodium levels:

The mayo clinic, and indeed many doctors recommend that those under 50 and in good health should limit their sodium to 2500 or less. Those with high blood pressure or over 50 (some argue that anyone over 40) should limit their sodium to 1500 a day.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    any type of processed or packaged food is going to be loaded with sodium, I try to avoid it but sometimes like today it was unavoidable, we had Panera for dinner. Restaurant food is usually loaded with sodium as well.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods and you won't have any issues.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mission Carb balance medium tortillas have 280mg per tortilla which I have found to be lower than most and it also has lower carbs and high fiber which helps x out some of the carbs. I use these for my husband who has high blood pressure and has to watch his sodium intake. They taste really good and are close to the 'real' deal. Also, Clints salsa is waaay lower than most salsa's and is a life saver to add some flavor to things that are a little bland.
    Compare and contrast and try different things. It will be trial and error but it can be done. I've had to work hard to help my husband. I have low sodium intake on pretty much every day. I don't have to go low sodium but it just works out that way with my food choices. Your welcome to look at my diary as well.
    Good Luck!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    "Eat whole foods," "stay away from processed foods," "if it has more than one or two ingredients, don't eat it" ... sheesh!

What if you work and don't have time to grow your own vegetables, fish out of a mountain stream, and forage for food in the forest, man! :noway:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    "Eat whole foods," "stay away from processed foods," "if it has more than one or two ingredients, don't eat it" ... sheesh!

What if you work and don't have time to grow your own vegetables, fish out of a mountain stream, and forage for food in the forest, man! :noway:

uhm, go to the grocery store.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know. I was being sarcastic. The way people were talking on this thread, the only way you could possibly follow all of the rules they were proposing was to grow your own vegetables, fish out of a mountain stream, and forage for berries in the forest.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know. I was being sarcastic. The way people were talking on this thread, the only way you could possibly follow all of the rules they were proposing was to grow your own vegetables, fish out of a mountain stream, and forage for berries in the forest.

I didn't see anything about growing your own vegetables or fishing out of a stream. A majority of responses are to avoid processed foods. This means shopping the outter edges of the grocery store. Fresh/frozen fruits, vegetables and meat. It's not that difficult.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

I didn't see anything about growing your own vegetables or fishing out of a stream. A majority of responses are to avoid processed foods. This means shopping the outter edges of the grocery store. Fresh/frozen fruits, vegetables and meat. It's not that difficult.

It is if you don't have the money to buy only whole foods. Fresh produce isn't always cheap, and you can quickly get tired of the stuff that is, believe me. Not only that, but not everyone has the time or knowledge to prepare their own food from scratch every day, so it is unreasonable to expect that would be a viable solution for everyone. It is a good rule of thumb though if you're trying to eat cleaner. :)