Any guys who use push ups as your only "lifting" exercises?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The OP can't be serious. I don't think I've ever heard a man say that he didn't want to lift weights cause they were "too heavy".

Do you have some kind of injury or are you just being....well...you know.

The soooooo heavy remark.....It's called a joke. Check into it.

I am actually having a problem with my right shoulder. Some of the exercises I do with weights causes a "pinch" in the shoulder. It really is affecting my strength. For some reason, it is not there when I do push ups. So, last night I did 100 push ups instead of lifting. I felt like it really gave me a better full body work out versus the lifting I have been doing the last 2 months. I am not going for a lot of bulk. Just want to lose fat but I know you have to do some sort of weight training a couple times a week to really burn fat.

Push-up =/= full body. Keeping your legs straight during a push-up might make your legs a bit tired, but doesn't mean you're hitting your legs at all. If you want to do a bodyweight routine, have at it, but don't become Mr. Chicken Legs.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    He can do lunges, jumping switch lunges, etc... to work his legs. It's not like he's going to get big from pushups
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    He can do lunges, jumping switch lunges, etc... to work his legs. It's not like he's going to get big from pushups

I didn't mean the chicken legs comment literally. You just hear things like "I do cardio so I don't need to workout my legs" from a lot of guys.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    I use weights for curls, lunges and bent over rows. Otherwise, the rest is body weight. I recently started inverted body rows on a pull up bar, so I can work my way up to doing pull ups.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I intend to do more exercise eventually, but I am easing into it.
    For two months now I do pushups, pull ups, dips 2-3 / wk and hula hoop and jump rope 2-3 /wk.
    Obviously from this little bit of exercise there are not huge results.

BUT there are results.
    I can definetly see and feel a difference in muscle mass and tone.
    And I am acclimating myself to exercise in general.

BTW in two months i have gone from
    20 pushups to 110
    0 pullups to 3 sets of 4
    0 dips to 3 sets of 10
    maximum continuous jumps while jumping rope for 5 min went from 10 jumps to 87
    hula hoop from cant do it to can do it for 30 seconds at a time
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you want to do pushups invest in a weight vest, 40 lbs will give you an amazing pump if you pump them out.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think for the next month or two I will just do push ups and see if it can strengthen the area that is giving me a problem and then go back to weights. I may have to look up some of those push up plans and other options to keep them varried. I will check back in and let you all know what happens.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you strictly use push ups as your "lifting". I've tried lifting free weights but they are sooooooo heavy (ah thank you :laugh: ) and I don't like the machines at the gym very much. Was just wondering what kind of success you have had.
    Which girl are you.....the one on the right or the left?

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Now that ultimate push up commercials say you can get ripped in no time using their product.
    :laugh: :noway: :smokin: :drinker: :bigsmile: :huh:
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am military and only do push ups and my regular PT. No weight lifting for me. But hell I aint that strong no way
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No.
    Pushups are a great part of training, but not gonna do it all.

heavy is good. lift free weights. be a man.

No, heavy is good. lift free weights, be awesome*.

I just started lifting this week, and it is hard, but you push through the pain and even feeling the ache from pushing your muscles makes you feel amazing. I never want to stop now!!
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OP, check out bodyweightculture.com

They swear by bodyweight exercises only and I've been doing quite a bit of them. My strength has increased tremendously in just a short time.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you strictly use push ups as your "lifting". I've tried lifting free weights but they are sooooooo heavy (ah thank you :laugh: ) and I don't like the machines at the gym very much. Was just wondering what kind of success you have had.

IDEA Fitness member

Hey now, girls can and DO lift heavy too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Hey now, girls can and DO lift heavy too!
    Lol, I was referring to the 2 little girls in the avatar.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have a tender shoulder as well, due to multiple dislocations. I recommend only benching if you have a spotter or bench in a rack and set the safety bars at the proper height to save yourself in case your shoulder gives out. Weighted push ups are extremely underrated. If your shoulder allows, try flies or using a peck deck machine. Good luck with your training.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My brother has some of the biggest muscles ive ever seen and he got them doing pushups. He was in prison for ten years. Not trying to make a joke about it. That is all he could do and it worked for him.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    The OP can't be serious. I don't think I've ever heard a man say that he didn't want to lift weights cause they were "too heavy".

OMG, this made me LMAO!:laugh:

edit: Not at you, OP, but at his response to you. Anyway, I exclusively lift but I used to do bodyweight exercising, but it got boring so I moved on. OP, start off with what you can handle and then move up. :)
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    He said he was just joking............