MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Today was my long run day. I went 17 miles (my longest run ever). It took me over three hours, but I did it! I'm proud of myself and all, but toward the end of my run I couldn't help but think that I would still have nine more miles to go to complete a marathon. I started wondering if I'm going to be able to do it. My daughter just says we can't think about that, and we have to just keep plugging away with our training. I know she's right, but I can't help it sometimes. I start thinking, holy crap, how will I ever do it? I know I could walk and finish the rest, but I really want to run it. I still have two months to go before the marathon, but the workouts are getting hard! On the bright side, I burned 2200 calories on my run!:drinker:

First, great JOB!!! Getting to the upper teens is a big deal and shows you are getting ready. I totally agree to keep those other 9 miles at bay in your mind. I can tell you from lot's of experience, at mile 20 something you won't care at ALL how you get to the finish line. I did a Boston time of 3:08 a few years back walking the last mile or so. No worries, focus on the training run of the day, and soak up the accomplishment each time. :drinker: :drinker:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I REALLY want to go out and try to run just a bit this morning, my foot still aches some from the plantar fasciitis, would you guys try it or rest yet again? it's killing me not to run!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

8 miles at an easy pace (10:30) for me this morning. Only 74% humidity today.:laugh:

After owning my Garmin for over a year, last week I loaded the software and started using it. It is pretty cool b/c you can compare your workout performances. I wish the map feature was a lot better though.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I REALLY want to go out and try to run just a bit this morning, my foot still aches some from the plantar fasciitis, would you guys try it or rest yet again? it's killing me not to run!

I am the worst person to ask. I ran the entire time I suffered from pf. I am not a good patient.:laugh: Of course, my feet never hurt while running. Maybe some brisk walking today?:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Jenny, I know how you're feeling. My left hip is not right, but I keep pushing trying to run. I think it has something to do with the right side sciatic nerve pain.
    I AM taking today off but plan on 9 miles Tuesday.
    I have a physical therapist who I've worked with for my sciatica that I think I might call just to get an assessment. I'm hoping if I catch whatever this is early, I can avoid any lost time.

Great runs everyone ! I'm jealous!!!

Becky
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the correct answer is to rest it, but I'm like Ketchie, since it doesn't hurt when I run, I'd get my miles in and suffer the consequences. When my feet are bothering me, I make sure to take my ibuprofen and stretch well after my run and again during the day.

When I get signs of PF, it is usually a sign I'm due for new shoes, which I did this week. After three runs in my new shoes, my feet are 100% better. I have been running for the past 18 months or so in Nike Span5, and now the Span 6 and I love them - great balance of support and cushioning without a lot of weight. The only drawback is that they are sort of a 'specialty shoe', and they are almost impossible to find, even on-line, and never on sale.

Limited my 'long run' this morning to five miles, so it was actually my short run this week. Got a late start and it was already hot and 90 something humidity and wanted to be done before the kids were up. (Fortunately, as they get older, that is getiing easier and easier to do:laugh:)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I give kudos to you runners who do it in warmth and humidity. I tried doing c25k week 4 day 2 today, and it's only 70 with 85% humidity with overcast skies and I was dying. I couldn't even make the three minute runs that I did last week! Finally I just put my zune on shuffle and I would run as long as I could, then walk off the end of the song, and redo for each song. My DH was impressed with my sweat ring when I got home though:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I however am not impressed with all the bites I got today. The deer flies loved me, especially after I got my sweat on! I do spray my arms and legs with bug spray, but have been leery of anything on or near my face. I don't want bug spray dripping in my eyes or to be licking my lips and get a mouthfull of the stuff. What do you guys do?
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I however am not impressed with all the bites I got today. The deer flies loved me, especially after I got my sweat on! I do spray my arms and legs with bug spray, but have been leery of anything on or near my face. I don't want bug spray dripping in my eyes or to be licking my lips and get a mouthfull of the stuff. What do you guys do?

Biting bugs are not a challenge for me.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Jenny, I know how you're feeling. My left hip is not right, but I keep pushing trying to run. I think it has something to do with the right side sciatic nerve pain.
    I AM taking today off but plan on 9 miles Tuesday.
    I have a physical therapist who I've worked with for my sciatica that I think I might call just to get an assessment. I'm hoping if I catch whatever this is early, I can avoid any lost time.

Great runs everyone ! I'm jealous!!!

Becky

Get well soon Becky.:flowerforyou: I hope you can get out for a run on Tuesday.:heart:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Biting bugs are not a challenge for me.

Lucky!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening everyone! Getting ready for the work day tomorrow...the weekend goes by so fast.

Yesterday I ran 6 miles....the most Ive ever done. I thought that I would be sore today but surprisingly, Im hardly sore at all...at least not like I used to be when I first started running. I do know that when I had about 1-1/2 miles to go I thought, "What the h*ll was I thinking!" :laugh:

pett - bugs don't bother me much either so I never use the stuff. I guess my blood just isnt tasty enough lol Maybe try the lotion stuff on your face and stay away from the eyes and lips. You could always use the stuff they make for babies since children have a tendancy to put hands, fingers, etc in their mouths.

thalli - your daughter is very wise. Keep going and grats on your run! lol, and I was proud that I burned 1100 cals yesterday on my run...sheesh! :happy:

Emmy - lol, there's no secret to loving running. I just post my runs usually after my runs and I'm still high on endorphins lol, or before my run when Im at work and just wish I were running instead of working (ANYTHING instead of working LOL).

Welcome Laura (schlieffen) to the runners club!

WW-sorry to hear about your PF...but at least it's not something worse.

Take care everyone and I'll probably post again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a good 5k in after work.

Happy Running all!
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Good Morning All!

I was without a computer over the weekend so I couldn't check in. Friday I ran 2 miles before my softball game on the treadmill. I messed around with the speeds a little bit since I wasn't going to have time to do a full 3. I got up Sat morning expecting to run outside but the thunder/lightning changed my mind so off to the treadmill I went. I had intentions of running 3 miles and possibly 3.5 but ended up running 4.:happy: The longest I've ever run without stopping! I think I could have run more except I was so bored. I didn't think it would matter because I had my ipod but I guess staring at the wall is what does it. I'll have to remember when I get one to have the TV on or something.

Oh, and Julie I think you were right to be concerned about me using a treadmill. I had an incident on Friday. So, there I was running along on the treadmill listening to some music when all of a sudden my hand snags the cord that connects the earbuds to the ipod. This jerks the ipod off and it falls thus pulling me forward because the earbuds were still in. This in turn makes me flail and I hit the little card thing you have to plug in to start the treadmill (I assume this is some sort of safety thing. Although not so safe for me.). The plug comes out and the belt comes to a halt...instantly. I then have to catch myself with the hand rails which makes me hit the back of my hand on it (yes, I have a bruise to prove it). After I composed myself I started it back up and finished the run. My hand is still sore, but I survived. I seriously don't know how these things happen to me. I was just born to be the comedy relief. The people I work with used to think I made this stuff up but they've come to realize that it's just a day in the life for me. Going to try for 3 today hopefully without incident.

Great running everyone!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

I'm resting today.:drinker:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning all! 3 for me today, first thing in the morning! One kid off to school today and the other starts on Wednesday! It was a lazy summer for all of us, glad to be back into the thick of things....for now :laugh:
  • aolson78
    Options
    I did 6 miles today and felt great. This is week 8 in my Marathon training and my legs are feeling better than ever, I am shocked that I literally have zero aches or pains. My biggest challenge seems to be the mental aspect - my body can go on 14 mies I'm sure of it, I think I am getting bored mentally. Any marathoners out there have any pointers?
    Thanks, you guys are the best!
    - Amy
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I did 6 miles today and felt great. This is week 8 in my Marathon training and my legs are feeling better than ever, I am shocked that I literally have zero aches or pains. My biggest challenge seems to be the mental aspect - my body can go on 14 mies I'm sure of it, I think I am getting bored mentally. Any marathoners out there have any pointers?
    Thanks, you guys are the best!
    - Amy

Running a marathon is definitely mental your right! What helped me was I stopped sticking to such a strict schedule. For awhile I was running almost exactly what a training schedule told me to then I realized I was getting bored. For me all I needed to do was run a long run every other week or so but other than that I just ran as far as I felt like making sure not to overrun myself. Also, make sure you take enough days off, I suggest 2 days off a week. Do you listen to music?... I always made great playlists for my long runs which really helped. Hope I helped some, let me know if you have any other questions :happy: Good luck running a marathon is GREAT!

~Leash :heart:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    greetings, y'all. logging miles on vacation, from the land of our fearless leader Kechie -- North Carolina. i can witness for you that it's nice and humid out here. ran 5 this morning with my dad. already 80* at 6:30am, and i don't know what the official humidity reading was, but i'll just call it "nice and sweaty"
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Heading out to run 3 miles on the track. Its finally getting hot here in PA-in the upper 90s today which we havent had almost all summer! Hopefully I wont melt!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    greetings, y'all. logging miles on vacation, from the land of our fearless leader Kechie -- North Carolina. i can witness for you that it's nice and humid out here. ran 5 this morning with my dad. already 80* at 6:30am, and i don't know what the official humidity reading was, but i'll just call it "nice and sweaty"

South Carolina is even hotter today! :noway:
    Got my back adjusted, helped the sciatica, not the hip. Going for 9 tomorrow anyway. Have an appointment for PT on Wednesday.
    Great runs everyone! I am sooooo jealous!
  • kechiemc
    Options

Wow! Super impressed with you. Logging miles on vacation. Good for you. That is awesome.

I refer to our humidity as "juicy".:laugh:

Welcome to NC! Hope you enjoy your vacation here.:flowerforyou: