Pop, Soda, or ?

Options

Replies

• teponey
    teponey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Normally Coke or Lemonade here or maybe just fizzy if its something 'fizzy'. Im in New Zealand.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've always called it pop, growing. Then my husband got me used to calling it soda instead. He calls it soda, because growing up, if he asked for a pop his dad would say, "What? you want a pop in the mouth!?" then act like he would smack him unless he changed it to soda real fast. We live in St. Joseph, MO
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Its coke! Lol but my son called it sodie when he was little. He was so cute. He would tell me "unt sodie" My sister was watching him one day and called me at work panicing cuz she had no clue what he wanted.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Soft drink - but I'm in England. I think most people here call it that, or fizzy drink/lemonade.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Toronto - pop. Big brand when I was a kid was The Pop Shoppe. Also had a candy called "pop caps".

Pop rocks....

Now I'm thirsty.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    pop
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I called it "pop" when I was kid. These days, I might call it "pop" or "soda" or "drink." I had a good friend in school who was originally from Arkansas, and he called it "sodie-pop." I don't know if it was a regional thing with him, or a family thing.
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    Soda in Milwaukee area
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    coke but then you specify which type.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The Southerners (and Texas) seem pretty much in agreement that we call it all coke.
    But some Australians mentioned "soft drink"
    I hear soft drink fairly often too.
    So. Coke or soft drink, but never pop or soda.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I grew up calling it soda pop, and still do. Sometimes I may say soda or pop but usually both. I grew up in kansas and nebraska.
  • Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    Beer!
  • sporker101
    sporker101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My whole life when I lived in the north I called it "pop," but since I moved to Texas I've found that I now call it "soda," even though I said I never would haha.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas and I call it soda

9821387.png
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    Where I'm from (Southern Ontario) it's pop
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm from MN, called it pop my whole life, go to school in WI now, and I switched to Soda, sometimes I confuse myself. I always seem to think about it now before it comes outta my mouth like i'm deciding whats correct lol
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well for the major name brands, I call it POP, but for the locally made varieties such as Big8, i call that stuff Soda! weird yes, but that's my take on it... :)
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Everyone down here in Melbourne, Australia calls it soft drink :)
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm from Michigan & everyone here for the most part calls it pop. I call it soda.

Mom is from Cali & I picked it up from her.

Mom & Dad now live in Missouri & they call it soda.
  • Biggrun
    Biggrun Posts: 12
    Options
    I love the responses, so interesting to see the different takes on such a popular type of beverage! Calling it soda or pop makes sense because if you really think about it ( in a very abstract way) it's called Soda Pop. So if we think of a can of coke as a person it's first name would be soda, and last name pop. When you meet a person for the first time you usually use their full name, but once you get familiar with that person and your on a friendly basis you usually call that person by their last name. " Pop whats up!" "Yo, pop want to chill" etc. You could also say " hey soda what's crackin" but let's take it a step further. Say your boss is Named Soda Pop, do you call him Mr soda or Mr pop? Mr pop is the formal term, and in Japanese the honorific when addressing a person is to use the last name first, so it would be pop-san. Now that can of coke..you could call him coke, but that would be a nickname that is unique to that person and their closest friends/enemies, so not many people would use a nickname..that's why coke is a southeren thing. So..Soda may be right, Pop is the correct usage :) lolol