Runners: how do you deal with a mental block?

Options

Replies

• Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i set a goal before i start as to how far i am going to go. i know if i set the goal, i have to do it. plain and simple:)

I do the same! When I did the C25K, I told myself that I would never stop to walk during the run times. Some days I was in such a rut, but I just kept reminding myself of my goal.

A lot of times getting started is the hardest part.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My body refuses to listen to the mental blocks.

My brain will say 'okay that's enough, lets go home.'

My body says 'I'm not done yet.'

Brain says, 'But I am.'

Body 'Lazy butt, ain't like you're actually doing anything.'

Mind 'Hey I'm in charge'

Body 'Not when we're running'

Goes on and on. Very entertaining and makes for an interesting run. The mind can't block it if the the body don't want it.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am a relatively new runner, training for my first 10k. I find that often my mind stops me long before my body actually needs to stop...it's like I psych myself out with negative thoughts. Any suggestions on how to keep pushing through the psychological side of running long distances? My goal is to run a half marathon in September, so I think I really need to work on the mental side of running, a well as the physical training. Any suggestions on what works well? I do listen to music, which I have found helpful, but I think I need more strategies.

I've found that I really have to psych myself up for the longer runs. If I commit my mind to the distance before the run, the run becomes somewhat easier. Also......I usually run a 3.5 mile loop for my long runs....once I commit to the loop, I kind of have to finish it. :)
  • tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    Im glad you said "will run for food" lol thats hilarious! But I like to hike and I LOVE pizza. I can burn 900-1800 calories on my hikes and have yet to take advantage of the extra calorie burn with pizza yet. Are you guys saying as long as my caloric intake is offset by exercise I should be ok and can eat guilt free? Because if you did I would love you forever haha jk bit I would be happy
  • calcraft
    calcraft Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So much of what we do with physical activity is mental! I have to get run/workout done in the morning otherwise I find excuses not to do it(other things get in the way). I've run 5 half marathons in the last three years and have 4 more scheduled this year, plus have done about 3-4 5k's a year. I'm not fast by any means! When you are running/jogging/walking for 3 hours you have to keep talking to yourself.
    There are a couple of mantras that switch on and off while I'm running. One I find helpful is from a trainer that I have worked with, "You can do anything for 20 seconds." I'll think of that when I want to stop and say it over and over till I forget about stopping. There are few others that help, John Bingham- "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
    Also, have fun! I look around at all the sites and take in sunrises, sunsets, flowers the clouds in the sky and just focus on feeling good and good thoughts. I'm doing this for me! Music helps with the mood and distraction too.
    I"m not perfect and I struggle with this daily, as far as getting out there and then going the distance. This morning at 5:10 I wasn't going to go and thought about the excuses I was telling myself. Then I thought about it some more and decided the excuses weren't getting me to my goal. By 5:15 I was dressed and into my workout by 5:30. I try and be gentle and positive with the self talk and turn it into I want to do rather than a have to do.
    Good Luck! Have fun! Enjoy the journey!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I must be odd, because my mental block is usually at the beginning of my running - like for the first mile. By the time I've gotten some distance, the longer I've been running, the more I want to run. I generally have to tell myself at the beginning how far I'm gonna go that time and then tell myself to stop once I get there. If I overdo it, I tend to get over-use injuries...
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What does it mean that your mind stops you while physically you could keep running?

What kind of negative thoughts? Is it a voice of reason like “enough for today, because if I keep going I will sustain injury? Or you are referring to a decreased motivation?

I would say that if the endurance is there, as I understand it’s in your situation, I wouldn’t worry about the mental side of running. If you manage the physical aspect of the 13.1 run you will be successful.

I am relatively new to running, too. I ran my first half-marathon on 3/24/12. I believe I was able to finish it because I remained focused on breathing, form and making sure to run as slow as possible.

Good luck with your 10K.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of C25K, and when I hit a mental block I do 2 things:

1. Put one of my powersongs on repeat and power through.
    2. Tell myself to "Cowgirl up". I was helping my dad move furniture to my parents' 2nd floor condo and whenever I started whining or got tired- he'd tell me to "Cowgirl up." So I tell myself that whenever I start whining or getting tired.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Im glad you said "will run for food" lol thats hilarious! But I like to hike and I LOVE pizza. I can burn 900-1800 calories on my hikes and have yet to take advantage of the extra calorie burn with pizza yet. Are you guys saying as long as my caloric intake is offset by exercise I should be ok and can eat guilt free? Because if you did I would love you forever haha jk bit I would be happy

^^ Are you kidding me? Pizza is almost a requirement after a hardcore workout! :wink:
  • wendysqd
    wendysqd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Long runs help you develop capillaries. I always think of that when my endurance lags.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love running to music but I have found listening to podcasts of whatever you are interested in (I like Dave Ramsey or Life Church) totally distracts me. I have to think about what they are saying and it helps my mind zone out. I tend to listen to podcasts for my training stuff and music during races. They get me pumped up a little more but the podcasts distract me when I am running alone and just want to turn around and go home : )
  • nicolekrezinski
    nicolekrezinski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I must be odd, because my mental block is usually at the beginning of my running - like for the first mile. By the time I've gotten some distance, the longer I've been running, the more I want to run. I generally have to tell myself at the beginning how far I'm gonna go that time and then tell myself to stop once I get there. If I overdo it, I tend to get over-use injuries...

I am the same way. Once I've finished the first mile, I feel like I could go forever. I try to get lost in my thoughts. When I really feel like I can't go anymore I picture myself running the race and about to finish with the crowds cheering and my son so proud of me.

"winners find a way. Losers find an excuse".
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I imagine myself shrinking a tiny bit with each stride.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The key to running, for me, has been to avoid stopping at all costs. My default response to every non-urgent physical pain was always to "just slow down" on the advice of a friend, and "see if it goes away". Because it almost always goes away, I had no physical or mental reason to stop.

I remember that on my circuit there was an incline that was so slight that I could not see it, but could feel it. I didn't know it was an incline, all I knew was that i suddenly found it very hard and wanted to stop because i did not understand why it was suddenly so hard. I also just find the end of the first 2km the hardest, so this incline occurred at a particularly bad place. To get through it mentally, I had to prove to myself that I could get through it physically.

All of my 'mental' blocks were fear of physical pain or difficulty... so I guess I don't relate to a pure mental block.

May I suggest you try some fairly serious uphill running, if you can. I found it taught me calm and control really quickly. My hill is a 3km road going up 300m. I never managed to run past the 3rd steeper bit without stopping, but I did make it past the first two steepest bits. :D
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bump for when I have more time to read!
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    love the zombies tip...I'm going to use that! I think I need to get some mantras going, too...I've tried that before without much success, but I think there might be something to saying them outloud. Thanks for your suggestions!

Honestly, I feel like a complete fool talking to myself, but it works for me. If I'm running my mouth, it's hard to hear the internal dialog. :)

agree << If I feel the need to stop I think to myself>would I stop if there was zombies or something else chasing after me? NO! when that fails I also do talk outload to myself. WELL more like a yell saying "come ON you can do it" i give my self a pepp talk every other inch of the way. :)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone for their advice and suggestions, this has been really helpful. I have my first official running event today (5k). If my mind starts acting up I'll use these tips....thanks!
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This tip is a little off topic.
    I know the OP was talking about getting over the mental block of wanting to quit.
    There is also the mental block of getting up and doing it.

I usually spend about 30 minutes in traffic on my way home after work.
    The slow speed of rush hour traffic drives me crazy.
    Its 5 minutes out of my way to drive by the beach (If you dont live near the beach it could be a park or trail etc)
    So now on the way home I stop and run on the beach. I get home at about the same time.

At 5:30 I am staying out of the rush hour traffic.
    At 5:30 the beach is empty bc everybody is rushing home for supper.

I hate to run, but I am starting to look forward to my days on the beach. A little serenity.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to "Keep going. You're not going to drop dead yet. You've still got a little more" Then I usually get lost in my breathing or my book again.

There've been a few times where the mental will win and I stop. It's like 5 seconds and I say "See, you didn't drop dead. Get moving"
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

I am the same way. Once I've finished the first mile, I feel like I could go forever. I try to get lost in my thoughts. When I really feel like I can't go anymore I picture myself running the race and about to finish with the crowds cheering and my son so proud of me.

"winners find a way. Losers find an excuse".

Yes, the first mile, by FAR is the worst for me. I hate the first mile....especially when the first mile of my run is on a steady incline in the road. Not a hill..hills I can handle...steady inclines are the worst.

Once I'm past that first mile, I feel great. So I just try to push through and focus on other things....the song I'm listening to, something I'm looking forward to, anything besides running.