Is Oatmeal bad for the weight?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Some seem to swear by it for breakfast and keeping their weight down, others seem to think it adds to weight gain, so which is correct?

Replies

• Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    No its not, especially if you get the whole grain oats.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    nothing is bad for weight gain, assuming it fits in your daily limits. for example, last night, I had room for a cadburry creme egg. it fit. so it wasn't bad for weight loss. also, it was delicious.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I like steel-cut oats, but Quaker plain rolled oats will do just as well. Water + stove/microwave + flavoring (I don't add sweeteners, but I do like to add almond milk, cinnamon, and chopped fruit or nuts) = awesome breakfast. I'm full until three o'clock in the afternoon, and I don't believe it's ever made me gain weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Some seem to swear by it for breakfast and keeping their weight down, others seem to think it adds to weight gain, so which is correct?

Excess calories lead to weight gain not individual foods.

It's perfectly fine on a diet, as is basically any other food
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Hmm I ate a whole box of oatmeal monday, 3-4 packets yesterday, and 5 packets today, I LOVE oatmeal.
    <---- still lean.

Its healthy, yummy, and filling. Win!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hmm I ate a whole box of oatmeal monday, 3-4 packets yesterday, and 5 packets today, I LOVE oatmeal.
    <---- still lean.

Its healthy, yummy, and filling. Win!

Nice photoshop, everyone knows carbs and only carbs make you fat ;p
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal EVERYDAY. I love oatmeal. I am not gaining weight. If its fits in your calories I have no idea why someone would be gaining from it...
  • wolf1154
    wolf1154 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love your thinking! I had a bag of Chiccarrones (deep fried pork skins) today and stil stayed under my calories and fats for the day!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    The food is really irrelevant I used to be huge on oatmeal for breakfast but specific foods don't cause you to gain weight just eating them at an excess to the point where you're exceeding your caloric limit causes you to gain weight. Some claim the whole grains keep you fuller longer but I'm not sure I buy into all that.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oats are SO SO SO good for you. I eat them every day, sometimes more than once. They fill you up, give you loads of fibre and have vitamins and minerals. Low in calories as well. I do measure my oats though as it’s easy to eat double the amount you think you are consuming in calories.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys, I might try having them for breakfast somedays, as long as they wont slow down my cycling. Heard that having anything too heavy before exercise can be detrimental.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    NO!
    Too many calories are. That is all.
    I eat porridge every single day and love it!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Only if you over eat it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people that say it bad are meaning the packets with the added sugar and stuff. As others have said, under calories and you are good.

I'm actually going to go back to oatmeal with a scoop of whey protein in it. I think it kept me full longer, and therefore decreased my eating later on.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys, I might try having them for breakfast somedays, as long as they wont slow down my cycling. Heard that having anything too heavy before exercise can be detrimental.

Porridge is a well know fuel for cyclists :p
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat a cut almost every day in the morning, along with a piece of fruit and egg whites. Its a good whole grain complex carb with a low glycemic index and good fiber.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. That being said, neither is double chocolate fudge ice cream if it fits into your calories. Oatmeal is good for you.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WHAT you eat is irrelevant. HOW MUCH you eat as well as your macros is all that matters. calories in, calories out.

If two Big Mac's a day fits in your calorie and macro goals then you can eat it and still reach your goal weight. you may not feel great or be healthy but you wont gain weight as long as your calorie goal is set for losing weight or staying at maintenance. this is why the point system for Weight Watchers works. no matter what you eat as long as you stay within your points you will lose weight. you really can eat a Snickers bar and lose weight. The down side of that is that Snickers bar has so many calories that you will have to sacrifice at other meals to stay within your calorie and macro goal. For me I would much rather eat a filling meal (like oatmeal) with fewer calories so I can eat more all day. A candy bar isnt worth starving all day for.

losing weight is much more simple than people make it out to be. if you eat less than you are burning (without going way too low) then you will lose weight. just remember it's how much not what.

By the way oatmeal has carbs so eating that before your workout is a great idea. Carbs provide the energy you need to work out hard.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it's bad. Actually, quite the opposite - I've heard it's a super food.

I might be biased though because it was my go to breakfast throughout my journey. I love the stuff.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I add oatmeal to a lot of my recipes. By itself, I will add a scoop of whey protein. If I need extra calories, I will add a 1/2 cup to a protein smoothie. Instead of bread crumbs, I will put oatmeal in my burgers.

As some other folks have mentioned already, overeating oatmeal causing you to exceed your calories would only make it bad.