Women lifting ....

Options
nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
I saw my physio today (follow-up for my knee which I had surgery on a month ago) she asked if I was back at the gym yet.

I said I'd done a few cardio sessions and two (upper body) strength sessions, I mentioned that I'd been really sore after my first lifting session.

She said "oh that's not good, you must have been lifting very heavy. You shouldn't lift more than 3kgs, a women's frame just isn't designed for it"

I was shocked. SHOCKED.

I didn't dare tell her I'd been bench pressing 60kg.

...discuss.

Replies

• sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    stupid physio!

end of discussion :)
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I've never heard anything like it.

Also 3kg? Seems like a really random number.

"Put that 2yr old down. A women's body isn't meant to carry that kind of weight!"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard (your physio not you :tongue: ).

Don't worry about feeling sore, especially after your first couple of lifting sessions - when I got back to lifting after a long period of not doing any, I had problems lifting my arms up to wash my hair in the shower after - I ended up having to move my head up and down and keep my hands low.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard (your physio not you :tongue: ).

Don't worry about feeling sore, especially after your first couple of lifting sessions - when I got back to lifting after a long period of not doing any, I had problems lifting my arms up to wash my hair in the shower after - I ended up having to move my head up and down and keep my hands low.

That's exactly what I had to do! For like 3 days! Hehe.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    3kgs is 6.6lbs.

Suggesting a women's body isn't 'designed' to carry a weight that's less than the average 6mth old is crazy talk.

I'd bet your handbag weighs more.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What the **** sort of physio did you see? The current wisdom that's floating around is that women should lift as heavy as is comfortable for them because it gives you serious benefits in terms of improved bone density!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Bad, generalized advice is always a good reason to switch doctors/therapists, I say!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Thats not true at all. There have been resistance training studies done with elderly patients in care homes that proved that resistance training improved the bone density and muscular health of the ELDERLY women and men! How can she seriously say that our "frame" isn't meant to handle more than 7lbs? So what.... that means double what my frame should handle is only 14lbs. A fifteen pound box (if we weren't meant to handle it) should snap me in half! Bogus.

Sounds like another person in the medical field needs to check her books. Maybe she meant 60kg? That at least is more realistic!
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow...just...wow. But, unfortunately, this is how most women see lifting. I can't lift too much or I will look like a man! Tell that to the millions of men out there TRYING to put muscle on and they will laugh in your face.

Bet if you had a male therapist, he wouldn't have said anything.

There are two things you can do, well, three:

1. Tell the physio that you are concerned by her advice because she may not be giving you correct information to help heal you knee.
    2. Ignore what she says and just carry on (about the weight lifting, not about your knee).
    3. Get a new therapist.

3kgs...poor me, I think my boobs weigh about that!!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Haha. Wow. I guess every woman with a child over 6 months should probably let their man do the heavy lifting from now on then, huh? :) I know for a fact my purse/handbag weighs at least 10 pounds, so I guess I need to lighten my load!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    *lifts handbag full of daily crap* Darn I need a man to carry this as it if FAR too heavy for my weak lady frame to manage it........ A little help?

*head:desk*
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    3kgs...poor me, I think my boobs weigh about that!!

Lol, that's exactly the thought that came to my mind! What a load of bull!

Most pregnant women are carrying more that 6.6lbs around by the end! I've yet to notice one snap! :laugh:
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 when I was pregnant, both times. Sounds like that was too much for my itty bitty little frame too, huh?

And neither of my kids weighed less than 7.2lbs at birth haha. If I had known this, I'd have given them back!!

Just lift what you're comfortable lifting, get super strong, then go throw her around one day.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    No, I'm sure she didn't mean 60kg. She talked about "big buff men making women lift way more than their body can handle"

I only have one more follow-up with her re: my knee, I won't see her again after that.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well that explains why we're so miserable carrying around those heavy bellies during pregnancy..... we just weren't designed to carry that much. I'd find a new physiologist. The current one missed a few classes about muscle fibers.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of doctors don't know much about diet and nutrition. They're pretty much taught to only prescribe medicine for the most part. I'm not saying people in the medical field aren't useful, but if i need exercise advice I'd seek a trainer. Same if I need nutrition advice, I'd ask a dietician or nutritionist.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Do you think you may have not heard her correctly. Or that she made an honest mistake. 3 kg is less than many newborns weigh.

Perhaps you should have taken it up with her at the time.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    But it was her physiotherapist she saw, you'd THINK she'd have a decent understanding of the body.......
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Cute pic, much like your avatar.

Really? Personal Attack?