Does anyone else crave sugar immediately after eating?

Options

Replies

• chattycathy56
    Options
    I am the same way...even after breakfast for pete sake. Low calorie jellos and such don't work in satisfying that craving. My solution is one mini snickers after lunch and dinner. One mini snicker is 42 calories, and has the number one ingredient...chocolate! Some days I can add in an extra.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    *Sipping green tea...* I am not craving a Snickers...I am not craving a Snickers... :tongue:

___

I love green tea, but it's giving me heartburn.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have same problem :embarassed: Even when I am totally full after a meal, I still have a horrible craving for something sweet. I don't have any advice, because I just give in and have something small like a couple Hershey's kisses, jello, or even a glass of Crystal Light seems to work.
  • drfelle
    drfelle Posts: 6
    Options
    For some of us, abstinence is the best policy.:wink:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have a meal with lots of carbs, I have a hard time getting full. I keep wanting more of everything, especially sweets.
    The fewer carbs in a meal, the fewer cravings for sweets.
    :grumble:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    *Sipping green tea...* I am not craving a Snickers...I am not craving a Snickers... :tongue:

___

Try Chrysanthemum Tea. It's not as bitter as green tea (rather it has a hint of sweetness to it as it is made from a flower) and should not give you heart burn. It also helps with digestion after a meal. =) I was also try a milder green tea.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

___

Try Chrysanthemum Tea. It's not as bitter as green tea (rather it has a hint of sweetness to it as it is made from a flower) and should not give you heart burn. It also helps with digestion after a meal. =) I was also try a milder green tea.

I do steep it up pretty strong. I figure I may as well get as many benefits from it as I can literally squeeze out of the tea bag. I think I'm going to have to try a milder version.
  • PagonShort
    Options
    I can tell you from a fellow sugar addict...that Carmel Corn Rice Cakes... I know most would think oh gross, but they are very sweet and 7 mini cakes is only 70 calories. It totally takes care of my carvings.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Most people crave sweets after a meal because we have trained ourselves to think about dessert (especially after dinner). Remember when you were a kid and your mom said, "Don't eat that cookie, you'll ruin your dinner!"

The reason that sugar "ruins" our dinner is because its turned into a body trigger that says, "Oh we're done eating now, we've had our dessert okay."

It is something you can get over, but don't deny yourself all the time. I like the one square of dark chocolate idea.

Btw.. organic chocolate is better than -insert really good feeling here- (But not as good as feeling thin):laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Check out this website. This is a possibility and explanation of craving sugar after everytime you eat.

This is what is wrong with me, however I can not stick to the eating regime for the life of me, it is absolutely too strict, but I do know that it works.

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-test.html

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Quiz/CandidaQuizW.html
    Here's a list of yeast related symptoms:

incapacitating fatigue
    concentration/focus problems
    short term memory
    painful joints
    muscle aches
    extreme tightness in the neck and shoulders
    acid reflux
    brown colored mucus in the back of the throat
    white or blood blisters in the mouth/tongue/throat
    unrefreshing sleep
    sore throat
    white coated tongue
    aversion to be touched - "crawling" skin
    chronic sinusitis
    frequent urination
    diarrhea
    chronic constipation
    headaches including migraines
    visual blurring
    sensitivity to light
    eye pain
    depression
    irritability
    anxiety
    panic attacks
    personality changes
    mood swings
    chills
    night sweats
    canker sores
    shortness of breath
    hypertension/high blood pressure
    dizziness and balance problems
    sensitivity to heat/cold
    alcohol intolerance
    gluten intolerance
    irregular heartbeat
    irritable bowel
    constipation and/or diarrhea
    painful gas/abdominal bloating
    low grade fever or low body temperature
    numbness/tingling in the face or extremities
    dryness of mouth and eyes
    difficulty swallowing
    projectile vomiting
    menstrual problems (PMS/endometriosis)
    recurrent yeast infections
    recurrent ear infections
    skin rashes
    dry/flaking skin
    eczema
    dermatitis
    acne
    skin discoloration/blotchiness
    dandruff
    jock and rectal itching
    chronic athlete's foot
    chronic toenail and fingernail fungus
    ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
    allergies
    sensitivity to noise/sounds
    sensitivity to foods
    sensitivity to chemicals
    sensitivity to odors
    anemia
    weight changes without changes in diet
    lightheadedness
    feeling in a fog
    fainting
    muscle twitching
    muscle weakness
    jerky-leg syndrome
    low sex drive

Candida condition may also be an underlying factor in the following diseases. However, it is often not diagnosed, misdiagnosed, disputed to even exist or is disregarded all together.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction
    Fibromyalgia Syndrome
    Lupus Hypothyroidism
    Crohn's Disease
    Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Celiac Disease
    Chronic Sinusitis
    Atopic Eczema
    GI dysbiosis
    Adrenal dysfunction
    Rosacea
    Psoriasis
    Macular Degeneration
    Barret's Esophagus
    Lactose Intolerance
    Meniere's Disease
    Depression
    Alzheimer's

It may even be related to things like:

Autism
    ADHD
    ADD
    Headaches/migraines
    Fatigue
    Schizophrenia
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

___

You could also try white tea....much more mild. And if the tea gives you heartburn, and if you like them, try eating a small handful of raisins. They are pretty sweet, so that might curb your cravings, too. :smile:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    http://www.raisin-hell.com/

This guy is probably one of the best sources for info on curbing a sugar addiction. He also has a lot of information on why some "substitutes" really aren't a better option.

I think he has 4 or 5 blogposts written specifically on overcoming a sugar addiction. Try those first. They're pretty helpful.
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    I used to be excately the same, i recently read an article called "Sugar Junky" It was about a recovering sugar addict. He explained that this addiction was embedded in him as a child. (does anyone remember hearing "if you do not eat your dinner, you will not get a treat") which in turn bribed us to eat the dinner so we could get our daily sugar rush (treat), when in actual fact the treat should've been eating healthy, Duh !!!
    The reason why you have the feeling of not being satisfied is because like most of us all we have been used to sugar from birth (Baby food is extremly laced with sugar, Fast food, sweet drinks, processed foods etc) and now when you eat healthy this inevitably reduces your sugar content which the body has become acustomed to and starts throwing a tantrum when it doesnt get what it wants.
    The good news is once the body understands the benefit of better quality food, it grows up and becomes and adult and no longer has childish sugar tantrums
    Anyway my opinion to your question is this: I am a recovering sugar junky who no longer "craves" for something sweet after a meal. The reason is that i allow 1 small take away a week, other than that i eat fish/chicken with salad, I also drink 2 litres of water a day (this really helps) and train 4 times per week. This has worked for me and now i even find myself turning my nose up at the site of a choclate bar ( i also read the calories, and 300 calories for a quick fix just aint worth it. it takes me 20-25mins of treadmill to burn this off). Try a few of these methods and i hope is helps you on your road to recovery.
    Good Luck
  • reedman
    reedman Posts: 35
    Options

We have a winner...it's all about what you choose. I'm no expert, but there is no such thing as SUGAR ADDICTION. You want it cause it tastes soooooo GOOD.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrendaLee
    Options

We have a winner...it's all about what you choose. I'm no expert, but there is no such thing as SUGAR ADDICTION. You want it cause it tastes soooooo GOOD.

Wrong. SO very wrong. Nothing tastes better than pizza, but I don't go crazy if I don't have it every day. :tongue:

This is just from Wikipedia, but there is info. all over the net about sugar addiction.

"Sugar addiction is a term for the situation where individuals crave sugar-laden sweet foods and find it extremely difficult if not impossible to control their intake. The attraction to sugar had in the past been considered merely psychological dependence, but recent research has shown that withdrawal symptoms occur during periods of abstinence, a key element of physical dependence."
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    Absolutely right brendalee,

Reedman there definately IS such a thing as sugar addiction and guess what, 80% of people suffer from it. In fact people are addicted to sugar and dont even know it. Have you ever had a headache and been told to "drink a sweet cup of tea" or "to eat a bar of choclate" this is generally because sugar levels have dropped and the body needs its fix.

I do not use Whacka pedia for my research but there are plenty of real books on this subject, check it out and you will see the evidence of this for yourself.

Once i did this it also helped me to reject sweet things as i now understand that it no good for me. (although im not saying i dont eat sweet things from time to time) But is no longer a constant battle.

Anyway all the best to one and all, lets really exceed our goals in August !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • reedman
    Options

Reedman there definately IS such a thing as sugar addiction and guess what, 80% of people suffer from it. In fact people are addicted to sugar and dont even know it. Have you ever had a headache and been told to "drink a sweet cup of tea" or "to eat a bar of choclate" this is generally because sugar levels have dropped and the body needs its fix.

I do not use Whacka pedia for my research but there are plenty of real books on this subject, check it out and you will see the evidence of this for yourself.

Once i did this it also helped me to reject sweet things as i now understand that it no good for me. (although im not saying i dont eat sweet things from time to time) But is no longer a constant battle.

Anyway all the best to one and all, lets really exceed our goals in August !!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be wrong...but I do know that people (not saying ANYONE HERE so please don't be offended or think I'm being rude) are quick to label things a disease or an addiction when it's nothing more than a psychological condition...that there are no REAL physiological addictions. I draw from my own experiences when I'm making a conclusion...that could be flawed, but if there was ever a person who would have a sugar addiction I figure it would be me. I went from drinking 8 to 10 sodas A DAY to zero...I didn't substitute them with diet or anything. I drank water...I would have tea occassionaly if we'd go out to dinner and I've ALWAYS used artificial sweetener in tea simply because it mixes better than sugar. This was not a regular thing (going out to dinner) so I can't say that these few glasses of tea would have any impact....I simply made up my mind when I started P90X that I was changing my life and that in order to get where I wanted to be I had to deny myself (quite easily mind you) certain things. That being said...soda was really the only form of sugar I'd ingest...I am not a snacker or a sweet tooth type of guy...

If sugar is indeed an addicition...I wonder why we haven't seen the sugarette patch or lozenges...sounds like a fella could make some serious cash in that market ;)
  • reedman
    Options

I may be wrong...but I do know that people (not saying ANYONE HERE so please don't be offended or think I'm being rude) are quick to label things a disease or an addiction when it's nothing more than a psychological condition...that there are no REAL physiological addictions. I draw from my own experiences when I'm making a conclusion...that could be flawed, but if there was ever a person who would have a sugar addiction I figure it would be me. I went from drinking 8 to 10 sodas A DAY to zero...I didn't substitute them with diet or anything. I drank water...I would have tea occassionaly if we'd go out to dinner and I've ALWAYS used artificial sweetener in tea simply because it mixes better than sugar. This was not a regular thing (going out to dinner) so I can't say that these few glasses of tea would have any impact....I simply made up my mind when I started P90X that I was changing my life and that in order to get where I wanted to be I had to deny myself (quite easily mind you) certain things. That being said...soda was really the only form of sugar I'd ingest...I am not a snacker or a sweet tooth type of guy...

If sugar is indeed an addicition...I wonder why we haven't seen the sugarette patch or lozenges...sounds like a fella could make some serious cash in that market ;)

Oh and for every research finding that claims one thing...there is always another to counter it...this is from Princeton University...

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Sugar-addiction-unlikely-in-humans-says-scientist
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    I use to always crave something sweet after I ate, now I only crave something sweet if I don't take the time to really focus on my food when I eat. Even then I can just have a little something and I am fine. I think some people are more sensitive to the effects of sugar than others, like how caffeine can effect our bodies.

I am battling with my 10yr old over his sweet tooth. I am doing everything, making sure he eats a healthy breakfast, snack when he gets home from school but he still wants something sweet. I have stopped buying junk food and have been keeping fresh fruit, veggies, whole grain breads and such in the house.

I know he won't change overnight but I am just going to keep trying.

Demetria