Vegan vs Health

Options

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is really good, especially the bit about phasing out animal products gradually.

I'm a vegeatarian and about to start reading "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, which I've seen frequently suggested on the boards here.

I second the recommendation for this book. It accessibly debunks many of the "But vegan is bad because..." stuff you're going to hear and provides a 30 day path with a few recipes to get you started. My favorite vegan cookbook is "Appetite for Reduction." It includes a wide variety of tasty plant based meals. This blog also has a load of tasty recipes: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/. You may also want to check out The Healthy Librarian's blog: www.happyhealthylonglife.com/. She is a medical librarian who reads and summarizes medical research articles on her blog. She transitioned to a vegan lifestyle about 2 years ago for health reasons. Scanning her blog for that period of time will help provide you with more "scienc-y" answers to the scare tactics you are likely to experience.

Best of luck to you!

(If anyone checks out my food diary, you will notice that I am not completely vegan - I have the occasional pat of butter on my popcorn and don't turn down special occasion non-vegan baked goods. Don't be a hater. :flowerforyou: )
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is really good, especially the bit about phasing out animal products gradually.

I'm a vegeatarian and about to start reading "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, which I've seen frequently suggested on the boards here.

Yes, this is a great book. It will be very helpful in answering all of your questions about nutrition.
    Your family is completely wrong. The only nutrients that you will naturally tend to come up short in eating a good vegan diet are B-12 and Vitamin D. B-12 is made by bacteria and used to be found more on vegetables and in water, but since we now chlorinate and wash everything much more carefully you'll need to supplement that. Vitamin D even most people who do eat animal products are deficient in during the months of the year when there isn't adequate sunlight to make it naturally.

You do need to be somewhat careful switching to a vegan diet, but that's not so much because it has health problems. Look at it this way... I've never really had the traditional diet of a person who lives in India. There are many people in India who are quite healthy, but if I tried to switch to eating nothing but Indian food overnight, there's a good chance I'd only come up with 2 or 3 meal options that I like initially, and then start eating virtually the same thing every day because I don't know what else I can eat. The lack of variety in my diet would lead to deficiencies and feeling like crap. The problem wouldn't be the type of diet, it would be the fact that I didn't know enough about it to make it work properly.

Also, people who become vegan sometimes just eat the same unhealthy diet they had before, but they substitute fake meats for the meat they used to eat. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with enjoying a Morningstar burger or something from time to time, but if that's the only change you make in your diet you're not really getting healthy.

For what it's worth, research backs the idea that greatly reducing or eliminating the quantity of animal products in your diet is healthier for you. This is not just a matter of 'humans aren't meant to eat meat'. Rather, humans aren't meant to eat the type of meat you can now find in the grocery store. There's a big difference between the health implications of eating say... a bison that was roaming the unpolluted prairie 200 years ago, and eating a cow that's been fed on corn (a very very unhealthy diet for cows), living on a dirty polluted feedlot with industrial pollutants everywhere, and not allowed to move around much at all because moving 'wastes' energy that his body could be using to bulk up.

(Produce available today is also typically less nutritious than what you used to be able to get easily., sadly. The difference isn't huge, but it's there.)

You may enjoy this resource: http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/ It's a 21-day Vegan kickstart that's supposed to help you transition your diet in a healthy way more easily since they take over a lot of the initial figuring out what to do for you.

Vegans typically choose not to eat things like honey, gelatin, and white sugar (often processed with bone char). I would try not to worry too much about that kind of thing initially. While they are animal products, you'll get a lot more benefit for your effort out of focusing on getting rid of the big sources of animal products in your diet first.

I'm not vegan myself, by the way. I'm just well aware that there's no actual nutritional need for meat, and it really sort of takes up space in the diet that cold be occupied by more nutritious things for those who are so inclined.

All of this! +1
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself. Here's my favorite book on the topic of vegan nutrition: "Vegan for Life: Everything you Need to Know to be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina (both vegan RD's).

Follow their excellent advice and start showing your family how it's done. Learn enough so that when they question you about things like complementing amino acids (a debunked old myth), protein, vitamin B12, calcium, vitamin D, DHA and omega 3's, etc, you will be able to give them detailed and complete answers. Be prepared for eye-glazing. Eventually they will give up asking.

Also, the longer you do a vegan diet and show them it can be done, the less they will bother you about it.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much you all are helping me so much :) I'll read all the links carefully as soon as I have time (I'm in a hurry now)
    You really motivate me :)
  • kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a year now. Branden Brazier's Thrive book helped me a lot. Also the documentary Forks Over Knives. Dr. Colin Campbell's China Study is an eye opener as well.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    been vegan for 7 years, 3 year old is too. we are both great.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    All the amino acids can be found in non-animal foods :) I'm veggie but eat vegan when I can! x I never feel better than when I don't eat meat/fish/cheese/dairy/eggs etc but until I live alone I won't be able to be fully vegan x
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    I think becoming vegan is a choice we all can make and, with some research, it seems it can be done healthfully. For myself, I doubt I'll ever pursue that. Over and over again, life proves out that form follows function. Our back teeth (molars) are designed for chewing plants and grains but our front teeth (incisors and canines) have been designed to grip and cut meat. Whether one believes that God or evolution designed our bodies, we were evidently designed to be omnivorous.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason you cannot get proper nutrition from a Vegan diet so long as you know what your body needs and do some research. Good luck to you!
  • sashy19
    sashy19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    [quote
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to make a lifestyle change for your health and not for moral reasons, I wonder why you would choose a vegan diet. I have no idea why anyone would actually believe that eating meat, eggs, and fish is unhealthy. You can read all the vegan propaganda you want, but I really think you should talk to a nutritionist before you make a decision based on what's best for you physically.
  • sashy19
    Options
    [quote
  • sashy19
    Options
    If you are looking to make a lifestyle change for your health and not for moral reasons, I wonder why you would choose a vegan diet. I have no idea why anyone would actually believe that eating meat, eggs, and fish is unhealthy. You can read all the vegan propaganda you want, but I really think you should talk to a nutritionist before you make a decision based on what's best for you physically.

Plenty of studies have shown it can in fact be quite unhealthy to eat such a diet, especially ones high in red, fatty meats. Of course with moderation many can live quite healthfully eating such things. Science isn't propaganda. Seems much more propaganda/lobbying comes from the dairy and meat industries.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Plenty of studies have shown it can in fact be quite unhealthy to eat such a diet, especially ones high in red, fatty meats. Of course with moderation many can live quite healthfully eating such things. Science isn't propaganda. Seems much more propaganda/lobbying comes from the dairy and meat industries.

Veganism is all about propoganda. It's the "morally" superior diet, it's "better" for the environment, and supposedly better for health, though it ignores all those pesky things like the fact that there is no natural way to get B12 (an essential vitamin, of which a severe deficiency can KILL YOU) except by eating animals.

You can spin it any way that you want, but a diet that requires you to supplement and fortify every food with a processed version of VITAL nutrients, is at it's very core flawed. I've never met more unhealthy, sickly looking people than vegans, except those that love to stave themselves lean as a substitute for eating.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons for B-12 deficiency ironically has to do with how clean our food is. It also occurs in yeast. I agree that vegans need to supplement it, and that they could not get enough of the vitamin from eating the yeast, but a great deal of animal product eaters must also supplement like crazy. A great many obese Americans are malnourished. If B-12 is the only argument against veganism, I'll stay the course. I don't mind supplementing it. For a good deal of reasons, a good amount of people, regardless of diet, would not hit 100% of each and every vitamin value without supplementing. I've been vegan for a long time, and I don't look sick. And ALL of my blood levels at my blood test at my last physical were at a minimum in the healthy range and many were in the "phenomenal" range.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    B12 does not occur naturally in yeast. Nutritional yeast is sometimes fortified with B12.
    One of the reasons for B-12 deficiency ironically has to do with how clean our food is. It also occurs in yeast. I agree that vegans need to supplement it, and that they could not get enough of the vitamin from eating the yeast, but a great deal of animal product eaters must also supplement like crazy. A great many obese Americans are malnourished. If B-12 is the only argument against veganism, I'll stay the course. I don't mind supplementing it. For a good deal of reasons, a good amount of people, regardless of diet, would not hit 100% of each and every vitamin value without supplementing. I've been vegan for a long time, and I don't look sick. And ALL of my blood levels at my blood test at my last physical were at a minimum in the healthy range and many were in the "phenomenal" range.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My bad! But from my understanding, animals obtain their B-12 that meat eaters get from the same way vegan B-12 supplements are formed--from bacteria. Not some inherent animal magic.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, animals get b12 from eating plants with the bacteria that produce it or by eating other animals.
    My bad! But from my understanding, animals obtain their B-12 that meat eaters get from the same way vegan B-12 supplements are formed--from bacteria. Not some inherent animal magic.
  • sashy19
    Options

Veganism is all about propoganda. It's the "morally" superior diet, it's "better" for the environment, and supposedly better for health, though it ignores all those pesky things like the fact that there is no natural way to get B12 (an essential vitamin, of which a severe deficiency can KILL YOU) except by eating animals.

You can spin it any way that you want, but a diet that requires you to supplement and fortify every food with a processed version of VITAL nutrients, is at it's very core flawed. I've never met more unhealthy, sickly looking people than vegans, except those that love to stave themselves lean as a substitute for eating.

Some argue that there are ways to get B12 without animal products, but regardless, I'm not sure what the problem is with eating fortified cereal for example. Think of all of the fortified animals products such as milk that non-vegans eat as a part of their regular diets. That's not any different. Also, it's definitely not necessary to "supplement and fortify every food." Many doctors recommend a multi-vitamin for everyone anyway since few eat a perfect diet.

I have also yet to see how a vegetarian diet would be worse for the environment at the moment. The current agricultural system we have, especially with factory farming, is not sustainable.

Further, nearly all of the "unhealthy, sickly looking" people you speak of are those using the term "vegan" as a cover for an eating disorder. I was a strong, healthy D1 college athlete. I've never been sickly looking. Vegans come in all shapes and sizes, as do people on most diets. Pretty harsh blanket statement. There are plenty of unhealthy people who eat animal products. Think of the increasing rates of obesity and heart disease in this country which has doubled its meat consumption since the '50s.