Salad with high cals VS low cal non healthy foods...?

Options
13»

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would not opt for pancakes over salad

I would. Not every day, but I just loooooove pancakes! :love:

I would go for the salad :D I have a weakness for eggs, bacon and lettuce and can afford the 800 cal hit :bigsmile:
  • jts10
    jts10 Posts: 37
    Options
    It's the chicken that's causing the problem. Just go with the salad -- spinach, veggies, etc. no cheese, no meat, no dressing. That's the healthiest option. Plus, all of those aforementioned items are bad for you.

Actually, they're not 'bad for you' per se - dairy, lean proteins and certain fats are essential for health - it's a case of moderation required. I'd keep the chicken, vegetables, a small amount of cheese and bacon, and stick to a simple dressing - olive oil and balsamic vinegar, for example. I can't quite see how a chicken salad can be 1600 cals without dressing. Unless it's all deep-fried...Are you sure the dressing has been included? A full meal at 600-700 calories (which sounds more likely) sounds like a good deal to me, and the protein will keep you full.

Lol, most people are entirely wrong about animal products. If moderation is less than 12 ounces a week, then yes, it's okay. Meat and Dairy, even at small amounts, have been linked to an increase in cancer risk. 2.5 servings of dairy alone can increase a man's chance of prostate cancer by 30%. And let's not even mention heart disease. I can have this conversation with you much more extensively if you want to argue it (because most do) but I won't waste a lot of time trying to explain it on here. Let's just say that the American diet, even the "healthy" american diet is no where near healthy at all.

Up the veggies, fruits, beans, and nuts-- that will give you a healthy salad. I eat a huge salad every day and can NEVER get it over 350 calories. But then again I don't use dressing, meat, cheese, eggs, etc. in my salad.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If I liked the salad I would half it. Whenever I go out to eat I always cut out half the food from the start. A lot of times it's high in calories because the portion sizes are so big.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's the chicken that's causing the problem. Just go with the salad -- spinach, veggies, etc. no cheese, no meat, no dressing. That's the healthiest option. Plus, all of those aforementioned items are bad for you.

Actually, they're not 'bad for you' per se - dairy, lean proteins and certain fats are essential for health - it's a case of moderation required. I'd keep the chicken, vegetables, a small amount of cheese and bacon, and stick to a simple dressing - olive oil and balsamic vinegar, for example. I can't quite see how a chicken salad can be 1600 cals without dressing. Unless it's all deep-fried...Are you sure the dressing has been included? A full meal at 600-700 calories (which sounds more likely) sounds like a good deal to me, and the protein will keep you full.

Lol, most people are entirely wrong about animal products. If moderation is less than 12 ounces a week, then yes, it's okay. Meat and Dairy, even at small amounts, have been linked to an increase in cancer risk. 2.5 servings of dairy alone can increase a man's chance of prostate cancer by 30%. And let's not even mention heart disease. I can have this conversation with you much more extensively if you want to argue it (because most do) but I won't waste a lot of time trying to explain it on here. Let's just say that the American diet, even the "healthy" american diet is no where near healthy at all.

Up the veggies, fruits, beans, and nuts-- that will give you a healthy salad. I eat a huge salad every day and can NEVER get it over 350 calories. But then again I don't use dressing, meat, cheese, eggs, etc. in my salad.

Oh, well if you're going to make statements like that it'd be nice if you could put up a discalimer like "I'm a vegan or vegetarian" so that the rest of us can just roll our eyes and move along rather than worry about correcting you. Some might try anyway, but whatever.
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    If it's a chain restaurant, then the portion sizes are probably way too big. If the meat is frozen and shipped to the restaurant, that may also be an explanation. They may have stuff like sugar and corn syrup and who knows what else in the seasoning they use.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Oh, well if you're going to make statements like that it'd be nice if you could put up a discalimer like "I'm a vegan or vegetarian" so that the rest of us can just roll our eyes and move along rather than worry about correcting you. Some might try anyway, but whatever.

Thank you - you beat me to it. Unfortunately there are a lot of highly-selective 'studies' out there that say one thing or another is 'bad' or raises the risk of one or the other thing, and it gives rise to a LOT of misinformation. Often these results are simultaneously or subsequently disproved (eggs and 'bad' cholesterol, anyone?!), or the studies are so selective (and the hypothesis so wide-ranging) that the results are essentially meaningless anyway. I could also argue this for a long time, but I have better things to do today. jts, I wish you all the luck in the world with your animal-product-free diet. OP, I hope you find a less-extreme way of reducing the calories in your salad and maintaining your intake of essential nutrients for long-term health.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My 96-year-old Italian grandmother who has eaten dairy and meat every day of her life and never had cancer or heart disease or any other major illness may take issue with the above statements.

I'm vegetarian because I just can't stomach the idea of eating a dead animal, but I recognize that a healthy diet can include meat. And I do still eat eggs and dairy and am quite healthy, thank you.
  • jts10
    Options
    I didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, I just like to aim for a plant-based diet, but indulge in chicken wings and our local diner's mac and cheese every once in a while.

My argument, and I apologize if it came off differently, was that a lot of meat and dairy isn't very good for you. It's caloric and a good way to get past that in a salad is to replace it with things like nuts beans or seeds.

Sorry.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, I just like to aim for a plant-based diet, but indulge in chicken wings and our local diner's mac and cheese every once in a while.

My argument, and I apologize if it came off differently, was that a lot of meat and dairy isn't very good for you. It's caloric and a good way to get past that in a salad is to replace it with things like nuts beans or seeds.

Sorry.

Nuts, beans and seeds are pretty high in calories, too. High calorie =/= unhealthy.
  • jts10
    Options

Sorry.

Nuts, beans and seeds are pretty high in calories, too. High calorie =/= unhealthy.

Yes, true, but they have so many healthy benefits to them -- the amount of omega 3s -- that they should be picked first. High nutrient foods > low nutrient foods.