Basic math.. Who knows it?

Options

Replies

• builtforlife
    Options
    I got 1 the first time i did it. I still think it might be 1. Its been a while.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I got 1 the first time i did it. I still think it might be 1. Its been a while.

It's not 1. See explaination on previous page.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    BEDMAS...

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    42!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

But "maths" should be "math."

Thanks for asking!

It's actually called "maths" in Great Britain. I thought it was weird at first too.

Former math teacher here. It's 7.

Maths, as in "mathematics". We in North America actually are the ones butchering it! Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. In order: Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. I only see Subtraction, Multiplication, and Addition. First do the multiplying, then the adding, then the subtracting.

wtf i don't remember this =| this is why im a social science student

I'm a social science student and I knew the answer.

i didn't say i didn't know math because i am a social science student...i went into social science because i don't know math lol
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    x>+(-)
    so firstly 5x0=0
    then it will be 9-5+0+5=9

This is me cheating.....I would have never guessed this.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My work:

(9-5)+[(5x0)+3]=
    4+3=
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Thanks for asking!

It's actually called "maths" in Great Britain. I thought it was weird at first too.

Maths, as in "mathematics". We in North America actually are the ones butchering it! Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?

y = 7
    hence, y' = 0
    Furthermore, int(y) = 7x + C, where C is the arbitrary constant of integration...
  • lisaleone71
    Options
    I follow PEMDAS -- There is no P,E, or D. There are only M, A, and S. Please forgive the formatting...
    9-5+5x0+3
    M 5x0 = 0
    9-5+0+3
    A(1) 5+0 = 5
    9-5+3
    A(2) 5+3 = 8
    9-8
    S 9-8 = 1

The people who are getting 7 seem to be implying parentheses around the pairs in order from left to right -- I don't remember that rule from math. I see it more as "9-((5+(5x0))+3)". The people getting 3 are going strict left to right. Like a lot of people answering, I was not a math major, but I would like an explanation as to why I am wrong. In any case, I'm an IT systems analyst and I rely on my developers to 'check the math' in my requirements based on what we're trying to accomplish. :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?

9-12+5*0+3
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    x>+(-)
    so firstly 5x0=0

You copied the problem down wrong. The last 5 should be 3, hence 9-5+0+3=7.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    PENIS
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I follow PEMDAS -- There is no P,E, or D. There are only M, A, and S. Please forgive the formatting...
    9-5+5x0+3
    M 5x0 = 0
    9-5+0+3
    A(1) 5+0 = 5
    9-5+3
    A(2) 5+3 = 8 <-- this part is wrong, it should be (-5) + 3
    9-8
    S 9-8 = 1

The people who are getting 7 seem to be implying parentheses around the pairs in order from left to right -- I don't remember that rule from math. I see it more as "9-((5+(5x0))+3)". The people getting 3 are going strict left to right. Like a lot of people answering, I was not a math major, but I would like an explanation as to why I am wrong. In any case, I'm an IT systems analyst and I rely on my developers to 'check the math' in my requirements based on what we're trying to accomplish. :)

when you do the addition first at the 9-5+3 stage you have to remember that the (minus) goes with the 5... therefore 9 + (-5) + 3

(-5) + 3 = (-2)

9 + (-2) = 7
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BEDMAS

Brackets
    Exponents
    Divide
    Multiply
    Add
    Subtract

9-5+5x0+3=
    9-5+0+3=
    4+0+3=
    4+3=

Multiplication does not necessarily come before Division as well Addition does not necessarily come before Subtraction

-5 +3 +4= 4-5+3
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    PEMDAS is the order of operations. parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition and subtraction.

so, you do the multiplication first 5x0=0

that makes the problem 9-5+3.

when you get to addition and subtraction you work the problem left to right, 9-5 = 4. then 4+3 = 7.

IF you chose to do addition first, you need to be sure to take the symbol in front of the number with it, thus making the problem 9+ (-5) + 3 which, is still 7.

it's not 0 because the whole equation isn't multiplied by 0, only 5.

it's not 1, because when you do the addition first, it's not 5+3, it's -5+3 which is -2, and 9 + (-2) is 7.

it's not 3, because you don't do the problem left to right, you have to do the multiplication first.

answers of 9 and 12 kind of confuse me

and answers of 7 make me happy. :)

my_brain_hurts-1.jpg

nuff said
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    x>+(-)
    so firstly 5x0=0

You copied the problem down wrong. The last 5 should be 3, hence 9-5+0+3=7.

That makes me feel alot better. I was like that makes so much since how come I didnt get 9. Hahah man I am really on top of things today.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3
    M 5x0 = 0
    9-5+0+3
    A(1) 5+0 = 5
    9-5+3
    A(2) 5+3 = 8
    9-8
    S 9-8 = 1

The thing that's tricky about PEMDAS is that Addition and Subtraction are on equal standing. When you have both, you do them left to right. (The same is true for multiplication and division.)

Source: I'm a math and science teacher.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Thanks for asking!

y = 7
    hence, y' = 0
    Furthermore, int(y) = 7x + C, where C is the arbitrary constant of integration...

Ha ha, ding ding ding! We have a winner. Please come to the front of the room to collect your gold star.