Running with Bad Knees

Options
2»

Replies

• arrich02
    arrich02 Posts: 19
    Options
    I was born premature and have had knee issues from the beginning. I began training in Jan for a 5K and after each run the pain became worse. I tried knee braces, ice packs, NSAID's, KT tape, fitted shoes, taking days off from running, running on trail, nothing eased the pain. Finally the knee pain was so severe that I was having difficulty walking up and down stairs, if I was sitting on the floor I had to roll over to chair to pull myself up. It was frustrating, I'm 28 and I couldn't bend down to tie my shoes. Last week I came to the conclusion that I should stop run at the risk of severly injuring my knees. I've started a new hobby CYCLING. I went on my first ride yesterday, 6 miles and it was great. :)

Morale of the story is you have to listen to your body, you only get one.:heart:
  • mikedhatz
    mikedhatz Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to have bad knees that would ache when I ran. But I did some reading on different running gaits that might work. I ran across one that recommended a midfoot to forefoot strike, rather than a heel strike. The logic behind this is that a straight leg and straight knee while running is a locked knee. Any force resulting from striking the ground while running (and it's a lot) is transferred directly up your foot, jarring the knee, hip, and lower back. When you run on the balls of your feet and push off from the toes your knees don't have to lock. It shortens your strides somewhat, and requires a slightly faster running step, but now the energy that used to get sent up your legs, past sore knees and into sore hips and aching back are now 90% absorbed by the arch of your foot and toes and by the flexing of the ankle joint.

The idea is to make your running gait similar to what humans would have done before the invention of shoes: run barefoot. Since running barefoot on your heels is uncomfortable (downright painful) it only makes sense that a natural running gait for a human in midfoot-forefoot strike and toe pushoff. I'm not advocating barefoot running. I'm not even advocating FiveFinger shoes or any other minimalist shoe. All I'm saying is that the heel strike method of running is unnatural for people in their basic state, and it's something that should be avoided, especially if it means that in order for us to run we need to have 100 dollar running shoes and orthopedic inserts that have to be fitted by doctors. 50,000 years ago humans ran across the plains barefoot in pursuit of game animals. 50 years ago Kenyans trained for marathons by running across the dirt, sand, and plains where they live and did so barefoot (or at best with leather soles tied to their feet). Emulate that gait and I'm sure that you'll see a reduction in joint pain, once you build the muscles that support your feet and legs.

I'm speaking from experience here, not just talking out of my backside. Ever since changing my running style I've managed to greatly increase my running distance and come out on the end of my run feeling tired and sweaty but without joint soreness. It might be something to look into for someone in your condition. They make semi-conventional shoes for forefoot running. Google "Newton running shoes". These are somewhat conventional looking, in the sense that they have a somewhat built up heel, but there are little blocks on the front of the shoe that provide a striking surface for the runner to land on and push off with. New Balance also builds a shoe which is a little more minimalist than that (I own some of them) called the Minimus. It looks like a track shoe, basically, but it's a thin running shoe with very little heel padding. Then there are the toe shoes (Vibram FiveFingers, et al). These are as minimal as you're going to get, including the goofy individual toes and total absence of padding on the heel. As close to barefoot as you're going to get, without going actually barefoot. I own a pair of these too, and I love them, but they take a while to get used to and they're not for everyone. If appearance is something that is important, take a look at the Newtons. My wife owns a pair and she swears by them. I prefer my Minimus and FiveFingers, but that's just me...

Anyway, I hope that this has maybe given you some different ideas about how to get to running without sore joints. Good luck to you!
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try water jogging or use the elliptical and "run" on it, it's supposed to mimic runnin, cycling and rowing work well too.