Is Quaker's Instant Oatmeal bad for you?

Options
I really love quakers instant oatmeal. Just add some hot water to the oatmeal and bam! But now i realize that everyone is eating normal oatmeal... so is it bad? and if it is, what are some really good oat meal recipes?

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The flavoured kind has a lot of sugar in it, so it might not be best to go overboard on it. Still, I don't think it would hurt once in awhile. There is nothing wrong, IMO, with plain instant oatmeal.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You can get Quaker instant with low sugar, too. Or if you're the more hungry morning folks, get the Weight Control variety (larger portion). It's all good, IMO. I lost 30 pounds eating that stuff every day.
  • Get_Me_Fit
    Options
    I really love quakers instant oatmeal. Just add some hot water to the oatmeal and bam! But now i realize that everyone is eating normal oatmeal... so is it bad? and if it is, what are some really good oat meal recipes?
    Whats "IMO" mean?
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Whats "IMO" mean?

In my opinion.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I eat it daily. Sure plain oatmeal is healthier, but it helped lower my cholesterol and I lost 60+ lbs with it part of my diet
  • realtreegirl
    Options
    It is my favorite also and I ate like 3-4 times a week for breakfast a few years ago and I still lost weight.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I like the Quaker's raisins and spice oatmeal. Now I buy plain oatmeal and add my own raisins and cinnamon to it. Just as good and less sugar! :)
  • smiller9
    smiller9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I really like cinnamon and spice. Just don't go overboard on sugar the days you have it.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oatmeal and add in 1 oz of fresh blueberries about 5 minutes through the cooking process and let it cook for another 5. Then when it's done cooking on the stove I add 1 packet of splenda just for a little more sweetness. This way I get some good whole grains and fiber with a touch of fresh fruit.

I've been eating it pretty much every morning since the beginning of the year and I've lost 34 pounds so far with it as part of my diet.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options

I wouldnt say it was bad for you. Rolled or Steel Cut are better. They take longer to cook but I find them to be tastier.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal itself still has all its health benefits BUT the sugar content is really high. I buy the quick cooking oats from quaker or publix brand and they cook well, quick! lol And I get to control what goes in it. Give it a shot and try some of these add ins.

To sweeten

Stevia
    splenda
    truvia
    sugar in the raw
    Honey

Flavor combos
    unsweetened cocoa powder and a Tbsp of your fav peanut butter
    apple pieces and some cinnamon
    vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some libbys canned pumpkin
    cinnamon and raisins
    strawberry and banana
    unsweetened shredded cocnut and pineapple
    basic stir ins

almond milk
    protein powder
    chopped nuts
    blueberries
    vanilla
    cinnamon
    strawberries
    almond extract
    steep a chai tea bag in the water before adding oatmeal
    raspberries
    raisins
    dried cranberries
    unsweetened coconut

Hope that helps! Good luck! :)
    banana
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i say make you own!, i buy the steel cut oats, and add raisins. healthier!
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i just buy plain, i weigh out 27g add 200mls of water, cook it in the microwave, then add 20mls of whole milk, 0.5 teaspoon of nutmeg and cinnamon and 1 tea spoon of sugar and its only 136cals and its very filling
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use quick oats add my fruit, water and microwave for apron 2 min. Instead of sweetener I add a scoop of protein powder so that I get a little extra protein as well with the oatmeal helps to keep me full longer. I have never liked oatmeal but now I love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but the little packets of oatmeal are way more expensive than buying the bigger package. I add my own raisins or blueberries or whatever I feel like that morning.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal itself still has all its health benefits BUT the sugar content is really high. I buy the quick cooking oats from quaker or publix brand and they cook well, quick! lol And I get to control what goes in it. Give it a shot and try some of these add ins.

To sweeten

Stevia
    splenda
    truvia
    sugar in the raw
    Honey

Flavor combos
    unsweetened cocoa powder and a Tbsp of your fav peanut butter
    apple pieces and some cinnamon
    vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some libbys canned pumpkin
    cinnamon and raisins
    strawberry and banana
    unsweetened shredded cocnut and pineapple
    basic stir ins

almond milk
    protein powder
    chopped nuts
    blueberries
    vanilla
    cinnamon
    strawberries
    almond extract
    steep a chai tea bag in the water before adding oatmeal
    raspberries
    raisins
    dried cranberries
    unsweetened coconut

Hope that helps! Good luck! :)
    banana

Great ideas! !! Thanks! !!
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but the little packets of oatmeal are way more expensive than buying the bigger package. I add my own raisins or blueberries or whatever I feel like that morning.

Oh yea thats the other thing! I buy a bag of about 1 kg of Rolled Oats for about a dollar here in Oz. Those other portion control packs of the instant stuff are easily around 5 bucks or something like that and you dont get as much.
  • Leo_Joy_HG
    Leo_Joy_HG Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They are high in sugar. Personally, i find they are far far too small a portion size!

I eat one packet, i'm still hungry. I eat three, i feel miserable for eating more than what is regarded as a portion! I really hope i'm not the only one who thinks this!
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    I buy the big things of regular oatmeal. And what I do now (thanks to the diary of a mfp pal) is add a third tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, half tablespoon of peanut butter and a couple splenda packets and it tastes like an oatmeal chocolate cookie or something. So delicious.
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    They are high in sugar. Personally, i find they are far far too small a portion size!

I eat one packet, i'm still hungry. I eat three, i feel miserable for eating more than what is regarded as a portion! I really hope i'm not the only one who thinks this!

They're too small for me too! I usually have to have at least two or three to feel full. That's why I like just getting plain old fashioned oatmeal. Half a cup is a decent portion, plus you can add other things and its better and healthier than the tiny packets.