MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Haven't been online part of yesterday, and just got on today- we had a little issue here in our apartment. It's a very long story, but my facebook status sums it up:

3 days later- after he ate through the wall, the microwave:noway: , and a 5 gallon bucket to escape into our apartment:sad: , climbed the curtains, sat on the couch, after 3 men, 4 traps, 7 scoops of peanut butter, a piece of cheese, a paint pan, a broom stick:huh: , 3 trips to home depot, after vacuuming up squirrel *kitten* EVERYWHERE, a whole lot of disinfecting, cleaning the kitchen, living room, and dining room top to bottom, re-installing the microwave... he's gone & we're off to a hotel for the nite :sick:

But, I did manage to get my 25 minute run (Couch to 5k week 7, day 1) in last night in the most humidity I have felt in a long, long time- def. the most humid day here in CT this summer. But, I did it and felt really good :drinker:

Today I worked my tail off cleaning the ENTIRE apartment top to bottom, so I certainly got a work out. I haven't slept well in 3 nights because of this darn squirrel, so I'm cranky, achy, tired, and not a very happy person to be around- I'm relaxing and going out to dinner tonight... it's not like we can sit on the couch and relax anyhow, or the floor for that matter since they're soaking wet still from being disinfected :explode:

Anyhow, enough of my story... sounds like it's hot everywhere- keep up the good work, runners :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    My run was really hard today. My legs felt like rocks until about 20 minutes in, then I started to develop a side stitch :( I only got in about 1.7 miles, then I walked another mile. It was an off day, hopefully it will be better tomorrow!!

And UGH it is so humid outside!!! Can't it go away so I can not sweat huge amounts?!
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Went for a short bike ride with the bf today then played tennis for 1-1/2 hours. Now I need to pack my lunch for tomorrow.
    Hope everyone who's feeling some injuries gets better soon. It sucks when you can move around comfortably.
    Have a good night!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Today was a speed workout for me.

20 minute warmup
    one mile fast--followed by 400m walking
    two miles fast--followed by 800 m walking
    2 x 800m fast--each followed by 400 m. walking
    10 minute cool down

It was a hard, but good speed workout.

Have a great day everybody.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo frustrated... I ran a half on saturday and I've been sick since then! I felt this same way after the marathon.. I don't get it... anyone else feel like this after races? I have like a flu with a fever and teerrrible headache. I really want to get training again but I can't right now!.. maybe its because I didn't run much at all before going out and doing the half, prolly not the best idea. Its just so frustrating :grumble: ...

I hope everyone else is having good runs this week! :happy: ...

~Leash :heart:

How's your nutrition?? Are you fueling up well a couple days before & after?? I used to get really sick after any longer run until I really started to pay attention to my body. I don't pig out, but eating smaller meals every few hours keeps me feeling better. Plenty of fluids too. The hot weather doesn't help either!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Maybe its my nutrition... I eat really healthy but maybe I don't eat enough before and after and this one ended at 11 o clock at night so I didn't eat much after, prolly not the best idea! I really need to work on drinking more water too... thanks jess!

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Maybe its my nutrition... I eat really healthy but maybe I don't eat enough before and after and this one ended at 11 o clock at night so I didn't eat much after, prolly not the best idea! I really need to work on drinking more water too... thanks jess!

Yep, I'd say that was it! Wow, that's a late race... I don't think I could do it. I like my early runs! :laugh: Next time at least get in a banana (I find that bananas post-race really help me) and some sort of protein w/ it. The protein will help get the carb to refuel your body faster than just carbs alone. Even a glass of milk would do the trick! I don't handle Gatorade very well, but it does help some people recover also. :wink:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Got in a 5 miler today and I felt like a runner--it was a really good run and I ran most of it alone! I ate an english muffin with peanut butter/honey and then some strawberries+bananas=definetly eating that again!!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- happy Wednesday to you all!

I got in 6.5 easy miles on the treadmill this morning....all the while wondering, could I go 20 more??? :noway: Definitely easier than the juicy NC run (...and minus the hangover :sick: I felt like I could run all day)! Too bad I had to come to work!

Sending "get well" vibes to all of you on IR!

Please send me fast vibes -- for tomorrow is 8 miles of speedwork :sad:

Hope you all enjoy your day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- happy Wednesday to you all!

I got in 6.5 easy miles on the treadmill this morning....all the while wondering, could I go 20 more??? :noway: Definitely easier than the juicy NC run (...and minus the hangover :sick: I felt like I could run all day)! Too bad I had to come to work!

Sending "get well" vibes to all of you on IR!

Please send me fast vibes -- for tomorrow is 8 miles of speedwork :sad:

Hope you all enjoy your day!!! :flowerforyou:

Here is my fast vibe being sent to you.

We ran today in bootcamp and it totally sucked. My leg really hurt so I walked which really irrates me. I thought I was better. I think my choice of running surface is what is hindering my progress. Too much concrete and asphalt. Tomorrow I am going to the track at the middle school near my house and see how it goes. I also have a new pair of running shoes that I am going to put on and see how that goes. If that is better, I will have 3 pairs of sneakers laying around and my DH will not be happy about that. :laugh: Maybe I will throw the oldest pair in the camper and use them as my extra camping sneakers. :bigsmile:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Sherry -- thanks for the FAAAASSSTT vibes!

And I must agree -- EVERYONE needs a good pair of "camping" sneakers:bigsmile: -- you'd be shocked at how many "grass cutting" sneakers I own!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Still down here. Did stretches for my heel, and I think I know what happened. When I went running monday I was wearing super thick athletic socks. Considering my running shoes fit pretty snug with those socks, I think it crushed my foot a bit when I was running since your feet swell.

I hope all the other injured folks are getting better. I'm starting to get very nervous about this 5k, I've been having trouble running the distance lately but its important that I finish. Unlike most people, I seem to get tired more quickly at races. This is not a good confidence thing. Blah.

I hate being sidelined.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sending out fast vibes and healing vibes!

Had a great Tempo run this morning my 10 mile race is 10 days away so I'm really starting to get prerace ready. For me that means really watching my hydration, food and rest.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Wow duffyzmom -- 10 days out -- how exciting! I'm getting butterflies in my belly just thinking about it!

When I get closer to my race you'll have to let me know about all of those...hydration, food and rest! I will be in need of guidance.

Good luck :flowerforyou: and thanks for the fast vibes!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Hey leash, theres an article @ runners world you should read on post run meals for all types of runners. I'm not great at adding links but the article can be found in the nutrition and weight loss section under performance training foods and the article is custom order.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--13072-0,00.html or you can just google

runnersworld.com/customorder

Hope you feel better :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    2 for me today :love:

Adjusting to the new run time but so far so good.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I really want to run today, but yesterday, after my kick boxing class, and after I got home and took my shoes off, I noticed that my right foot hurt when I walk. Don't know the name of the bone, but it's in the middle, on top connected to either or both the middle and second toe. Should I run, I really, really want to? It's not a terrible pain when I walk, and if I tie my shoes well, it will feel better. Or am I just an accident waiting to happen? It's a dull pain, not really a pain at all. But a little worse than a bruise.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ya, I need some vibes too. Sorta like the cattle prod shocker vibe to get my miles in EVERY week :explode: :explode: . Not just a happy-go-lucky runner mentality, running when it's fun.

I did a 10k last week, with about 2 weeks of very limited running prior, and... it... sucked (duh). Yesterday, my buddy needs a runner sub for his 1/2 ironman this weekend... uh.... sure, why not. It won't be pretty, but I'll get there. So there is 13 miles on a clock, mid day, in the heat... yikes :sad: :sad: !

So I say with a clear head, I need to run and be ready to run. If I don't post some miles each week on here, someone get the cattle shocker for Raymond :embarassed: :embarassed:

BUT... happy running vibes to everyone else :wink: :wink:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Okay rainman -- cattle proding it is.....now go MOOOOOOOVE it....:bigsmile: hehehehehehe get it -- mooooo cow -- proding -- wow I easily entertain myself!

You are a brave man to step up and do the ironman. I would be a nervous wreck!

Good luck -- after I get done with my fast running vibes tomorrow I will send them to you! :flowerforyou:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wow! Super impressed with you. Logging miles on vacation. Good for you. That is awesome.

I refer to our humidity as "juicy".:laugh:

Welcome to NC! Hope you enjoy your vacation here.:flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

thanks for the warm welcome (get it -- warm?) okay, not that funny i know. but NC has been treating us very nicely, thank you. another "juicy" 5 yesterday morning (since that's what we're calling it) but i let my dad do intervals on his own this morning. he even cut short, going 4x400 instead of the 6 he had planned. i'll be back out tomorrow. lots of good runs here, i see, and lots of new friends. welcome all.