I miss the way I used to eat....And I feel worse now then I

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    The pain I'm feeling now is worse. Trust me. I can't eat a thing before consulting myfitnesspal. I wish I never found this thing. Now I can't go back.

OH, I see. MENTAL PAIN? I've been there, it's addicting I know. You have to work that out if it means abandoning it altogether.
  • csingleton80
    Options
    My honest opinion, and not meant to down you at all, is that there are some underlying issues you have that you have not yet worked on and this is the real reason you are feeling so down and sick. Losing weight and getting to a healthier physical you doesn't make you magically feel better when there are other issues that led you to the overeating in the first place. With how you can't seem to allow yourself to splurge, feel stuck in this diet, and "outrageously" workout as you have said tells me that you were looking for something other then food to comfort whatever it is that's bothering you and what you found was "dieting" and "weight loss" and that's why you have such a mental block to learning to balance healthy and not so healthy foods. Focus on this whole experience being a lifestyle change, not a quick fix or miracle cure. There is no reason for you to deprive yourself or feel like an outsider around your family and friends because you're limited to what you eat, it's making the right decision most of the time and indulging some of the time (not every 2 weeks as you said, you can do it several times a week if you do it right). I hope that you find a solution to what really aches your heart so that you can lead a full and healthy life.
  • jo_roop
    jo_roop Posts: 3
    Options
    Google healthier desserts..When your family is eating the things you want or miss...Try a healthier way to prepare what you once liked..I know it sounds difficult but it is not...Heathier chocolate smoothies...One tsp. cocoa powder (can be sweetened) one cup milk (your choice) half frozen banana (peel, wrap in wax paper, freeze) and ice in a blender. around 240 calories...sounds like alot but a lighter lunch or supper will satisfy your chocolate craving !! Eat what you want, prepared a bit healthier! You should be proud of yourself..it takes a strong person to lose that much weight!
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I can relate. But mostly due to my having delved into the world of eating disorders. Not willingly, mind you.
    But after about a year of 'self recovery', I found MFP and thought, hey, great community, healthy people, healthy eating, I should try this and end my cycles once and for all.
    And now I'm a slave to the calorie counter. lol
    It's terrible. Sometimes, I'll panic when we're going out to eat, sometimes I'll feel terrible for having gone over. And then some days, like yesterday, my body was craving so much dairy it was unbelievable! Of course, I went over and of course I feel terrible for it.

I think, no, I'm sure, it's the relationship with food itself that is skewed. We are living to eat instead of eating to live. Sure, you can enjoy what you eat but it's unrealistic to eat four slices of pizza in one sitting unless you've the calories allotted for it. It's also detrimental to your health to engage in a McD's outing which, regardless of calories is also high in fat, sodium and simple carbs which will only serve to wreak havoc on my sugar levels. I'm hypoglycemic so a high will most certainly end in a terrible low for me.

(cutting in to add that peeps are 110 calories for four of those little guys. I'm a chocoholic myself so I can't say it would satisfy me, lol)

I also struggle with being 'full'. I used to have a huge issue with overeating, mindlessly shoveling in food until my plate is gone.
    As for being full, I tend to equate that with purging. It's a terrible, terrible thing, a habit that I've been fighting for ages to break once and for all. But, I'm human and I slip up every now and then. It usually occurs after I've eaten something I've really enjoyed or something I know is more than 500 calories: then the urge to bring it up kicks in.
    (I'm hoping I'm not hurting anyone by sharing this. I just feel the need to share.)

I also find there's a connection between my depression and my eating habits. On low days, I tend to not eat at all, really. On happy days, I eat without worrying so much. I'll count but I won't deny myself anything. And then one other days, every meal is a war.

I don't know what I've done here apart from rambling except to say that you're not alone in your struggle. It does help to talk, though.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you are depressed, it doesn't matter if you are fat or thin. You will still be depressed. Seek some medical help on the depression and everything else will work out. You do describe extreme characteristics in your behavior - all gun hoe one way or the other. Tell your medical person so they can makie sure you are not Bi-Polar. If you are Bi-Polar, nothing is going to fix that except the right medications. Four ounces of fish and a salad are not normal. Losing 20 pounds a month is not normal. Please seek mental health immediately. It could change your life in so many good ways. Good Luck
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I know for me when I start eating more sensibly and losing weight everything else that I need to work on in my life, i.e., a job that is boring, becomes very clear. I become dissatisfied with my life as I become healthier. Losing the weight definitely doesn't fix everything, it sometimes just puts a spotlight on the other things you need to work on. I've had the experience of losing a significant amount of weight then finding I wasn't ready emotionally for the attention that brought, so I quickly put weight back on. Now I'm more mature and ready to be healthier for the rest of my life. It is for the rest of my life, though, so I'm going to be eating at least 1,500 calories a day. You need to start eating some of the things you love, not over-exercise, and enjoy life!
  • Malomar3
    Malomar3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Razor - Seriously?

Are you a troll or is this for real. My son-in-law competes in crossfit games and definitely "works out like crazy", which means that he needs to eat in excess of 5,000 calories a day to maintain his weight.

And I don't think your family and friends can eat "anything they want" and not get fat.

Lastly, no one is requiring you to be thin. If you enjoy life better on the chubbier side, than that's okay for you. In 2012, media tells us that we should all want to be thin, but there have been plenty of times throughout history when a more Rubenesque form was the societal ideal, and I am sure that it will be again. BTW - there are a lot of people today who still prefer a more solid physique, and don't like the looks of stick-thin models.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Right now it sounds like your weight loss isn't getting you what you want. But look down the road a year or two and think about how much easier it will be to get what you want later if you're fit, healthy, and good looking.

Time to take the long view on this one.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Some of you are missing the point. I miss eating things I ate before I lost the weight. For example (and since it's Easter and I'm missing out on all of my favorite things) jelly beans,marshmallow peeps, cookies, brownies, Pizza, wings, hamburgers ect. Yes it's ok it eat in moderation but, for example, a moderation for peeps is like 1 peep. That would make me miss them even more. And I already do plan ahead. Sometimes I plan up to a week ahead and follow that plan verbatim.

Whereas I'd say "a box of peeps once a year is moderation"!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I know how you feel. I spend a lot more time being stressed over how much I'm eating now than I did last year when I ate what I wanted. I do eat pizza, cookies, cupcakes, etc. in moderation, but knowing my next four days of meals will have pizza is disheartening (I love pizza so much!). It's especially difficult to go out with friends to a favorite restaurant because they have empty plates and mine has 2/3 of the meal left.

Not being able to get nutritional info for foods and unable to find out how much I burn doing certain exercises really super frustrate me. I hate being forced to guess how many calories is in this sandwich. Now I'm doing my own vent, sorry.

Anyway, I just want you to know you aren't alone feeling this way. {hug}
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    Some of you are missing the point. I miss eating things I ate before I lost the weight. For example (and since it's Easter and I'm missing out on all of my favorite things) jelly beans,marshmallow peeps, cookies, brownies, Pizza, wings, hamburgers ect. Yes it's ok it eat in moderation but, for example, a moderation for peeps is like 1 peep. That would make me miss them even more. And I already do plan ahead. Sometimes I plan up to a week ahead and follow that plan verbatim.

That's not an excuse to go back to eating the way you did before, is it? Try something other than "all or nothing". Don't be so strict that you have no life in your life, but don't use your unhappiness as a crutch to hide back into the way you were. Have you ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? Have one peep, but recognize that it's a rule of nature that the second peep will be half as satisfying, so why bother with more than one?

If you are resistant to therapy or can't afford it, friends are the best shrinks around. My true friends and boyfriend are constantly pushing me. And if you don't have someone like that you can trust, get a journal, get away from all this public scrutiny and write, write, write and force yourself to write even more until you have come up with a problem and a solution, a positive plan for a one-day-at-a-time goal for being happy and healthy.

I know you've had a lot of information and differing opinions thrown at you, but I've got another resource. It seems corny, but try something like InnerBonding.com or simply search for 'depression', 'overeating', 'obsessive weight control' on youtube and listen to testimonials from people who've been through it or from professional therapists. Inner Bonding isn't something you should pay for, in my opinion, but it also helps me hugely to use a process (can you tell mine is writing) to understand what's going on in my head (I use tarot cards, too. Pure self-reflection, not mysticism.) Anyway, they guideline steps to overcoming a specific hurdle in your life.

First, recognize that you're in pain, which you've done, and allow yourself to feel that pain without feeling guilty about it.
    Then, decide whether you are in pain because you are pushing yourself to love yourself or or if it's because you are trying to protect yourself.
    Then ask yourself what and why you are trying to control your diet. Try to get as deep down into your core self for where the insecurity comes from.
    Then ask yourself (or your god) what it is you deserve to overcome that has made you guarded or hurt. We're products of our environment, and 19 is the perfect time to place a little blame on your family for how you've been conditioned to love. The important thing, though, is that once you recognize the flaws of your family, it's easier to forgive them for being human and focus on yourself.
    After that, you take loving action--you follow a new plan to learn to love new things, to truly love your new lifestyle. Once you do, others will recognize that you are more comfortable in your own skin and they will respond!
    The last step is to keep challenging this process and change it up if it's not healing that pain.

Just don't play the IF... BUT THEN game! Lots of people are trying to aid your search for answers. Don't take every one of their IF's--their suggestions--and automatically assume BUT THEN.... for whatever excuse you prescribe it... that it won't work. Cuz I guarantee it, if you believe it won't work before you try it, it ain't gonna work!
  • rrchris
    rrchris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well for starters you don't look as though you are very old which means because you did all of this now your later years are going to be sooooo much kinder to you. You won't have to worry about diabetes, high blood pressure and all the "junk" that people with weight issues get. Doctors give them pills because they know that these people aren't going to follow a regimen of getting healthy for themselves..Pills and meds are nothing more than a big ole bandaid for health issues. There is nobody that loves a huge vanilla cream filled donut more than me!! But...I thought about it this week and then found myself realizing that hey..I can go get that donut and gobble it right down, feel like crap and realize okay it's gone...in just a few minutes that donut is gone. Was it worth it to me? For a couple of lousy minutes? Double cheese burger plain at Wendy's...used to be what I would stop and get..then again once it is gone the party is over and there I have managed to add not just the meat and bun but all the sodium for probably a normal persons day.
    By now you can tell I am a mom..preaching and all...well I don't mean to. You only get one you...it took time for you to put on the weight and of course to lose it all to your fantastic self!! Everything else will take time too. Every time you want junk food put that money in a jar under your bed...look at it in a month or so and then take that money to go buy yourself something very cool!! You will love that you did that =) Keep on keeping on..Oh I took up chewing gum...it really does help!! Best wishes to you..
  • rrchris
    rrchris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw your response and immediately thought of one more thing that I do..as I put together 6 Easter baskets vowing not to touch any of it and I didn't..Get in the car and take a ride around town. This sounds really bad but...I promise you that you will see people driving scooters, motorized chairs, etc. For the most part you will see that those people are extremely heavy..That could be you..Is it really worth it? A trip through Wal-Mart has really brought me to my senses more than once..I don't make fun of anyone but I take it as God's gentle nudge while I am cruising the candy aisle. A reminder that I have a goal and a purpose. You too have a goal and a purpose..Peeps won't cut it and again not for the momentary satisfaction that you get from them...Where do you want to be in five years, ten years, etc.?? Start your own fitness group and begin to motivate others!! You KNOW how it is done so share with others!!
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I understand, bc I am an emotional eater as well. However, think of this (it might not help, but I'm taking a shot) do you ever just go out and buy things without checking if you can afford them or researching online for the best price? Also, do you make sure you have time to do things and make your schedule work around other things like work, sleep, etc? Those things are probably easier because you have been doing them longer. It can be stressful to have to log or check first but you do the same sort of thing in your everyday life in other areas. DOn't knw if that makes sense :/

never thought about it like that before but shes got a wicked point..
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I feel worse now, than I did when I was fat. What should I do?

Put the weight back on then.

There is no law that says you have to be slim. Of course if you do put the weight back on you will have to accept the drawbacks that come with it. Where do you want to be the most?

On a general point, at a very basic level most people need to lose this sense of injustice which comes with dieting or physique if they want to be happy and free. This sense of injustice exists entirely in their minds. "It's not fair that I can't eat as much junk as I want and stay slim" "It's not fair that Mr X can eat all day and look ripped" "It's not fair I don't have the genetics of a mesomorph".

Saying it's not fair won't change your reality.

It's about you and no one else. You don't need to look at other people. You need to look inside yourself and conquer your mind. That is life's greatest journey.

I would recommend a book called "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz as a starting point in improving self image.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    First off, congrats on the recent weight loss, that was a lot to lose quickly. Maybe you should just take a few days off and away from MFP and just keep you cell phone and computer hidden. I think you should do whatever and eat whatever you want for 4 to 7 days then come back and see if that vacation away from all of this helps you with your cravings. Losing weight really is like a second job and sometimes you just need a vacation. I bet you'll come back and be more rested and more motivated.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    wait. You lost 60 lbs in 3 months??? Holy crap. What are you eating? no wonder you feel miserable and deprived, you must be starving yourself to be losing so fast.

you gotta remember that the more you weigh the faster you will lose, at first. so someone who weighs over 200 pounds will lose it pretty quickly, its keeping it off and continuing to lose that's tough..

that's not always true.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this will be, but I'd suggest a challenge. Find a race, or a meet, or a class that you think is just a tad out of reach. Then study, train and prepare to do it. You've met a major weight loss goal, so now you may need something else to fuel you.

Also, remember that weight loss doesn't magically make things better. You are still you...if there were issues that needed dealt with before, they still do...sounds like maybe you thought things would change more for you once you lost weight.

I hope you find something that works to keep you motivated!

THIS is good advice! I lost almost 50 pounds and that is what I do now that I am at my goal. I am going to do the Tough Mudder in 2 weeks and the Spartan race the week after that. I need to constantly have new things to keep me going - I love this advice so true!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you self medicate with food for some sort of mental disorder. A psychologist would be great to train you for behavior modification and evaluate the underlying issues.
  • RazorTazor
    Options
    I've actually read that book and it hasn't helped.