Kashi Go Lean Crunch upsetting stomach?

Options
robinp00
robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
I recently switched from All-Bran to Kashi' Go Lean Crunch cereal for breakfast. I don't generally have a sensitive stomach and I'm sure it's not the fibre content that's doing this, but my stomach has not been feeling well since switching. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to what might be causing it or how to lessen the effect? I gotta stop farting at work! hahah

Replies

• TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Go-Lean Crunch w/ soy milk and almond milk for at least 3 yrs and I've never had an upset stomach. I'm not sure what could be causing that to happen, but yeah farting at work is not a good look! :)))
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I get cramps and gas within less than an hour of eating GoLean Crunch. The cramps aren't that bad, but the gas is voluminous! I could eat an entire head of broccoli with a bulb of garlic and have less gas. I've switched to just eating old fashioned oats.
  • chrit4u
    chrit4u Posts: 34
    Options
    If there is flax seed in it, it could be that.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Similar Problem..But after Eating Fibre One Bars. Stoped Eating them and switched to Kashi.Now All is well
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't eat Kashi cereals when I know I will be out in public later that day! I love their Heart cereal but it just does a number on me. :blushing: It's likely the fiber (or at least that's what I've figured).
  • misstri
    misstri Posts: 6
    Options
    If you really want to be able to eat it, I suggest building up slowly every day with more and more fibre in your diet. Once you reach at least 25g a day, it should be safe to add in kashi without too much stomach gas. If you go from a fairly low fibre diet to one with kashi that's major stomach trouble! lol
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    my diet has 30 to 40 grams of fiber per day and I have no problem at all with the Golean Crunch (or the other one for that matter)

Though I have to say that in the morning I could blow a hot air balloon when I go to the bathroom, after that my day is just fine!
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wish I read thos before eating breakfast this morning. This is the first time I am glad that my clients are incontinent and farting sounds are common.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Any ideas as to how to lessen the effect? I gotta stop farting at work! hahah

quit eating it
  • weathergirl320
    Options

quit eating it

Seriously I agree. Why would you eat something that upsets your stomach? That's your body talking to you. Same for any of the above posters. It seems ridiculous to me to eat a food that does that every day. Don't you think maybe you should stop eating something that your body responds to in that way?!?!?!
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got the WORST stomach pains after eating this... mine lasted 3 days of pure pain lol but I also have a really sensitive stomach... try taking a tums or pepso bismol.. I stay away from that stuff now lol
  • Tasolie
    Tasolie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KASHI.... I also Fart like an Old Plow Horse when I eat it!!!!!!! lol However, the gas has lessened over time.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It eases off after a few days, it's the fibre getting to work in your stomach.

brendan
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It does that to me too. I think it's the sweetener or the soy in it. Although soy milk doesn't bother me. Just the cereal, not their bars. Fiber One does it, but All-Bran doesn't. I've never figured that out. Hope someone has the whole answer.

Carol
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the gas I had at work yesterday. LOL. It made me reconsider bringing mini pizza for lunch.

As far as Kashi, sometimes my stomach is sensitive to it. I prefer oatmeal. It has enough fiber and is gentler.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

quit eating it

Seriously I agree. Why would you eat something that upsets your stomach? That's your body talking to you. Same for any of the above posters. It seems ridiculous to me to eat a food that does that every day. Don't you think maybe you should stop eating
    something that your body responds to in that way?!?!?!

Ditto this. Your body is telling you not to eat this. What about it is so essential that you must eat it?
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    note to self: avoid kashi cereal LOL ...you guys are funny!
  • BLy82
    BLy82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from All-Bran to Kashi' Go Lean Crunch cereal for breakfast. I don't generally have a sensitive stomach and I'm sure it's not the fibre content that's doing this, but my stomach has not been feeling well since switching. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to what might be causing it or how to lessen the effect? I gotta stop farting at work! hahah

The reaction that you are having is almost certainly due to chicory root extract.

It is a form of fiber which is put in foods because it is easy to add without disrupting the taste, plus it has a reputation as a prebiotic. This means basically that it is a favored 'food' for the helpful bacteria that lives in your intestines. Human's don't digest it, it gets down to the bacteria and they go to town on it.

Some people are very sensitive to it and tend to get an upset stomach. This *may* be an indication that your current crop of bacteria living in your gut isn't as accustomed to high fiber intake as it ought to be and isn't as healthy as it could be. People sometimes find that they feel much better if they take a probiotic for a while (that's a pill that actually contains the sorts of bacteria that are supposed to populate your intestine. You take the pill and it makes its way down into your digestive system to help populate it with the right bacteria just in case what should be there isn't. People often take acidophilus pills for that, which is one of the bacteria involved, but there are also pills that supply a mix of organisms).

You could try the probiotics. You could try ramping up your intake slowly to give your body a chance to adjust. You could try putting that cereal away for a little while and trying again later to see if things have improved. If you don't want to do any of those things, or they don't work, you'll probably just have to eat a different cereal. In that case, you'll want to look at your foods and be cautious of anything that contains "inulin" or "chicory root extract" (this includes probably MOST foods that have really unusually high amounts of fiber for their category... like if most breads you look at have 5 grams of fiber a serving, and you pick up another one and it has 11, the difference is probably because the company is supplementing the fiber count in their product with chicory root.)
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it all the time. Then one day I swear they must have changed something, because I can't eat it anymore. It kills my stomach.
  • Heartpath
    Heartpath Posts: 33
    Options
    I mix mine with yogurt instead of milk, and I find that I don't have the problem. Maybe that's why. I had a terrible time with the Fiber One bars, but maybe I'll try again and eat yogurt at the same time. I liked them.

It's a challenge to me to get my fiber numbers up.