Is running bad for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Running is really bad! You should never ever run. It will make it nearly impossible to plea a lesser charge if you get caught.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Joints. Not the best for them.

I call BS....how about you explain that load of horse hockey you spewed out.

I guess we should all just sit on the couch and avoid walking also. Wouldn't want to utilize those joints as they are designed and mess them up.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Read, Born to Run. I don't know how anyone could read that book and then think running is bad for you. Our bodies are designed for running.

Personally I love it. Once you figure out that you don't have to go as fast as possible all the time it is quite enjoyable.
  • ChristinaK0429
    ChristinaK0429 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been having knee pain for the past four months. I started running about 3 weeks ago and I'm finding the knee is getting much better day by day. I realize this may not be the case for everyone - if you have an actual knee injury, for example. My knee pain was just the result of being overweight for years and not enough muscle strength around my knees. I have heard that the impact actually helps strengthen bones.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

It's addictive, its healthy, its fun - go and enjoy!!

Beautifully stated!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I guess we should all just sit on the couch and avoid walking also. Wouldn't want to utilize those joints as they are designed and mess them up.

I think what the poster was trying to say is that running can seem to be bad for the joints if diet and recovery is neglected.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My crossfit addicted friend

Addicts, especially Xfitters, don't tend to be rational or a good source of information...
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

I think what the poster was trying to say is that running can seem to be bad for the joints if diet and recovery is neglected.

Then explain that. Don't just put a blanket statement out there that running is bad for joints when that isn't true. Yes you can over train if you don't give your body a recovery time, but stupid statements like this help no one.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Read, Born to Run.
    I feel a bit like a religious fanatic at times. Yes, loved the book. My knees were in terrible shape and sounded like maracas whenever I walked up stairs. Ditched the trainers and stopped turning my ankles all the time. Got minimalist shoes and ran barefoot on the beach - learned to do squats properly and my knees are better than ever now.

I remember when my mother was my age - she wouldn't jog because a friend of hers "aged" so much from jogging. Who knows, maybe it takes a toll on my skin - but if I wanted to be a display doll I would just have plastic surgery and die young.

Running is good for body and spirit. Mindful running changed my life, hallelujah and all that ;)
  • Xabsentimentalx
    Xabsentimentalx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

It's addictive, its healthy, its fun - go and enjoy!!

ha i loved this!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Running is part of the Crossfit WOD pretty often from what I know about it. It sounds like your friend doesn't have a clue.
    this is exactly what i was going to say.
    today's wod involved 400m sprints or 500m rows.
    there is generally at least one wod per week at each box that involves running, be it sprints, resisted sprints, or a 1 mile/5k.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

Sorry, a myth that has been busted (unless you are extremely over weight or have a pre-existing condition, but then the problem is still not running is it??)

Running is, perhaps, one of the purest and most natural forms of exercise known to humankind. As previously pointed out the survival of our species depended on our ability to run down prey.

My only regret when it comes to running is that I didn't start sooner.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    it is not bad for you.. However if your running technique is terrible then yes it is bad..

For me I am seeing a physio and my leg muscles are freaking tight which means running for me at the moment is BAD, we are working on getting my flexibility better, then I will be able to run and have no issues at all... I was running 6kms in around 25 minutes. My physio reckons with improved flexibility I will be seeing the sub 20's... I agree with him on this one as my calves were an issue when running, my fitness was fine, but the calves tightening were causing me to slow down in the last few kms..

I would suggest seeing a sports physio if you are worried at all... And to be honest it wouldnt hurt to see one as they will be able to show you where you can change things.. I am lucky to have such a great sports physio in my town who is doing everything he can to help me to get back to where I should be.