Singing at the gym?

Options
I've noticed on multiple occasions that some people sing along with their ipod as they exercise at the gym. I personally find it really annoying but wanted to see if I'm missing something.

Are there any gym-singers out there? Is it a motivational thing? Do people not realize they're doing it?

Replies

• elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    At my gym, I'll often put the TV on to a sports' game and cheer and root like I'm at home--without realizing it. One time, I was mid-first pump when someone at the treadmill next to me gave me a "look."
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I mouth the words, but don't ever intentionally sing outloud. If it's a rockin song that energizes my workout, it helps me to sing.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I suggest working out at home so normal things like noise dont bother you. wow.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I mouth the words, but don't ever intentionally sing outloud. If it's a rockin song that energizes my workout, it helps me to sing.

Same. I don't even like subjecting my own ears to my singing voice xD
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    If I'm running on the treadmill and I'm close to the end of my workout I'm usually mouthing the words to whatever it is that I'm listening to because it forces me to concentrate on the song instead of on how tired I am. If anyone is singing outloud I probably wouldn't be able to hear it anyways since I blast my music.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I lip sync like crazy ~ and maybe even dance!!!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    LOL this reminds of any time i see people singing along to their ipods.. out in broad daylight, its hilarious! especially since they dont know they are singing off key and wrangling the words.:laugh:
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've noticed on multiple occasions that some people sing along with their ipod as they exercise at the gym. I personally find it really annoying but wanted to see if I'm missing something.

Are there any gym-singers out there? Is it a motivational thing? Do people not realize they're doing it?

Motivational indeed...best song to sing to at the gym - A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton

(Not Serious)

(Or am I?)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

i don't mind "noise," but in a public space like a community gym it seems like they are treating it like it IS their living room.
  • Moana41
    Moana41 Posts: 35
    Options
    Perhaps take your own iPod so that you're not having to listen to someone else?
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think that someone singing at the gym counts as "normal noise." If someone's doing it on purpose, I'd actually think that it's kind of rude to force everyone around you to listen to your singing. However, I feel like sometimes people that have their ipods on might think that they're only mouthing the words, and not realize that they're being loud enough for those around them to hear. I'm sure if it bothers you that you can politely ask them to stop. Most of them probably didn't even know that you could hear them.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I have to admit that I find myself doing this quite often. It all just depends on the song I'll typically put my iPod on shuffle and when a song that i really like or motivates me a lot comes on I find it hard not to go sing with it.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Perhaps take your own iPod so that you're not having to listen to someone else?
    ^^This^^ Occasionally I sing and sometimes dance in between my sets helps me relax a lil
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Our gym machines are hooked up to tv and various radio channels, I've heard people sing it just makes me smile, they doing something great to their bodies and having a grand old time. I can only sing like a cat being strangled so I sing in my head!
  • dmouse0225
    dmouse0225 Posts: 104
    Options
    Yea, I mouth the words at the gym (at home, all bets are off... I will sing). It works as a distraction and helps me get through a jog. If I am doing weights or machines though, and a good song comes on over the speakers, I sing and dance a little. (But usually there is no one in ear shot). Life's too short, keep it light :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

i don't mind "noise," but in a public space like a community gym it seems like they are treating it like it IS their living room.
    i agree with you. I think it's a little rude to sing along loudly at the gym, as I'm sure most people don't care to hear it!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    People who sing out loud in general bother me. But at the gym it would drive me bananas.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You ARE kidding, right? Who really cares what anyone is doing at the fitness club? I've got my ipod on-I can't hear anyone singing, and I couldn't care less if someone hears me sing. We're all there to move our sorry a&&es, aren't we? Geeesh
  • taffytravels
    taffytravels Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I do exactly this ...I sometimes think I must look stupid but then I think...hey I'm enjoying my workout, I'm not disturbing anyone, if people are watching me then they are not working out hard enough
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wow! Who would have guessed so many people had an opinion about this? Personally, I was raised to feel its a little inconsiderate to treat public spaces like you would your car, living room, or shower, but that's just me. I DON'T hate on those people, as I'm sure none of us do, but I do find it a little odd and, like I've said, inconsiderate. Would everyone here think it right or normal of me to recite poetry while in line at the grocery store, or to rehearse one-acts in a mumbly-under-my-breath tone at the library, or any other similar example. Again, no big deal, but I feel like the only people defending the behavior are the ones who engage in it.