biggest loser really IS a loser

Replies

• I like to watch the last 30 min or so when they weigh in and it shows their progress, and I love when they show the transformation of the person who went home, I think it can be really inspiring!
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    I have been watching on and off over the years. It does have some good stuff (I get motivated!) and there are things for people to learn. I completely agree about the drama - I'm totally sick of that!

However, that is what a DVR is for! I not only skip through the commercial breaks (therefore not succumbing to the dramatic pauses) but also through the Dr Phil/drama/scripted portions. I enjoy the challenges/contests and the interesting workouts. Basically, I just watch what I want to watch. And I easily did an hour on the treadmill the other day while watching!

Enjoy your day, folks!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    I agree with all that has been said especially the "cross between Big Brother and Dr. Phil". I can't stand the drama, catty women, and this season UNMOTIVATED players. I hope it turns around soon.

As for the commercials in the show, I don't like it but it is very clever. LOL
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    I hear you on that one.

it's a lot like this, they keep trying but it's not working out the way they want it to

didnt-see-that-one-coming.gif

oh my gosh...lol..thanks for the laugh!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    I hear you on that one.

it's a lot like this, they keep trying but it's not working out the way they want it to

didnt-see-that-one-coming.gif

oh my gosh...lol..thanks for the laugh!

lol too funny!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    As soon as Jillian left the show was done!

I think its not realistic and a bunch of drama.
    As soon as she left the show thats when I started watching it again!! Couldnt stand her.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    I can't even watch this season with dvr - will give next season one last chance before giving up on the show for good.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    This season has been very disappointing for me... I have not connected with any of the contestants, and even now I don't care too much who "wins" as so many just act like sore losers and whiny immature babies. I have many doubts that anyone this season has learned and changed enough to succeed long-term with their weight loss.

I do like Dolvett, and I like the competitive spirit between him and Bob. I was never too crazy about Jillian, her style just would not motivate me in the least. But she sure did know how to get results!

My main interest in the show continues to be seeing people do what would seem to be impossible - very overweight people getting fit and healthy. It does inspire and motivate me to try harder and encourage me to believe that I can do it. Only someone who has been on the show can really attest to what exactly they have done in terms of diet/exercise/___________?? to lose the weight.

For me, "controlling what I can control", like eating less and moving more, will continue to be my mantra, and I will take what I can that is positive from the show and disregard the negative as much as possible.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    I have been watching on and off over the years. It does have some good stuff (I get motivated!) and there are things for people to learn. I completely agree about the drama - I'm totally sick of that!

However, that is what a DVR is for! I not only skip through the commercial breaks (therefore not succumbing to the dramatic pauses) but also through the Dr Phil/drama/scripted portions. I enjoy the challenges/contests and the interesting workouts. Basically, I just watch what I want to watch. And I easily did an hour on the treadmill the other day while watching!

^^^this^^^ plus this season has the laziest people on it!!! All they do is whine!!!!!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    I like to watch the last 30 min or so when they weigh in and it shows their progress, and I love when they show the transformation of the person who went home, I think it can be really inspiring!

I'm with you on this. I love to watch the weigh-ins and the transformations. It gets me off my behind because it is so inspiring.
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    I use to watch the show too.. I miss the last two or three seasons. Oh , well I won't be returning now after this thread.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    I lost a lot of respect for the whole thing when I heard a commercial on the radio not too long ago for some "diet pill" from one of the previous winners. She apparently got pregnant and gained a bunch of weight - and then did the fad pill thing to lose weight again.

If she had truly learned anything from that show, she probably would NOT have gained 90+ lbs AND thought pills were okay to lose the weight.

It also made me curious to see how many contestants were able to continue / maintain weight loss back in the "real world"?
    Why has there been no "Biggest Loser Reunion"??

It's really become just a mass marketing machine.... and I suppose at some level it has value, but it really cheapens it IMO.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    I agree. Especially since I read about what really goes on behind the scenes, like how "one week" on the show is often more than one week, how they contestants have to be dehydrated for 24hrs before weigh in, etc. And I always found the product placements super annoying.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    I have only seen the UK one.

One thing that irritates me is the viewer does not know how many calories they eat a day/. The whole thing is focused on the exercise which is 1 hour, 4 times every day. At that rate, they will probably burn 2000 calories. Some of them still manage to lose 10 pounds in a week with the average being around 5.

It would be better if they took some time showing what they are cooking and eating.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I watch it from time to time, but I do have issues with the very public humiliation they subject their participants to. It's one thing to help someone learn to love the body they inhabit regardless of the state it's in, it's another thing altogether to force them to expose their darkest fears, their deepest shame and most personal failures in front of the whole world. Yes, they they have triumphs too, but at what cost? People in the obese weight ranges are often incredibly vulnerable and generally have other deep-seated issues that put them there. To have to work through all of that on national television is it's own form of evil, even if they sought it out.
    Whose fault is that really? Biggest Loser or the contestants? They didn't have to sign up for the show knowing they are going to be exploited. Unfortunately they all chose to make the decision to be put all their business on front street.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    It has become very commercialized, especially with Subway. They are constantly promoting products, this is getting old. Also, I hate the way they time the commercials, it is so predictable that they go to commercial right before they show someone's weight. Then when they come back from commercials they rehash the whole story, instead of just showing the results. Hate that.

agree 100% ........really every healthy nutrition tip turns into an infomercial about jenny-o turkey, sugar free gum, shake mix, steamer bags, etc.

and since when is a meal with 1000+ sodium healthy for extremely overweight people ...Subway isnt that great.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    I live in Australia and I have to say that the current series running here is very much showy and I don't like some of the people at all that are verbalising and self centred. However I have got many an exercise idea from the show using what is just around my house to exercise and if you have not got the money to go to a gym or even not able to walk for one reason or another, look around your yard/garage to see what you have that you can use as weights etc. to help you lose weight. My hubby has a few old tyres and I am thinking I might make use of them. Pick a spot and move them there and back.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Reality television pisses me off for so many reasons. I tried to watch this on NetFlix but it made me want to smash my computer. So instead I went through and watched the first and last episode of every season to see the transformation. It gave me hope for my journey.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    I never did like that show. I always thought it exploited people who were over weight. We have enough criticism and bias without that.

I agree!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    I tivo the show and then fast forward to the weigh in and transformation moment. Other wise I agree with this season being way too emotional. I hate the fact that the producers are playing up all the drama. I really dislike that the contestants talk about each other and then "play nice" face to face--as if they won't ever see the show.