Thoughts? *rant

Options

Replies

• Bevigal
    Bevigal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there are some that are not being honest with themselves, but you have to remember no two people are alike. When I stopped eating a lot of fast food my whole system has changed. I found that when you eat fast food...30 minutes later you are still hungry. With more wholesome food it does not take as much. Thats me as for others it may be a different story.
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've always typically ate less than 800 calories. There are days when I could consume more calories if I go someplace like Starbucks, Panera Bread or Olive Garden but it only happens maybe once a week. I usually don't get hungry until around dinner time (and when I say hungry.. it just means I can eat. I'm not really ever HUNGRY). I really don't care about food and don't put much thought into it. I am working on eating way healthier, though. I want to incorporate more fruits and veggies so I'm planning to snack on those during the day. I'm not telling anyone to eat like me, I'm just answering the question.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    For me it's not the calories but the quality of the food that makes me feel full. Veggies and protein fill me up while simple carbs just make me feel hungrier. A huge stir fry of veggies and shirataki noodles for under 200 calories will make me much fuller than 1000 calories of sweets and starches.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    Keep in mind that overweight people don't necessarily eat because they are HUNGRY. They eat for many other reasons and they don't stop when they are full.

Some people need less to feel full. When they are actually listening to their bodies, maybe they are realizing that they are getting fuller faster.

Plus, if they are eating lots of fruits and vegetables and/or drinking tons of water, they could be filling up faster on much less.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I totally get upset when people say this....but for different reasons. I upped my calories because I am weight training now so I am happier, but before when I was restricted to 1340 calories it was sooooo hard. I can't imagine being full off of 800-900 calories, I'm constantly hungry (I could go for a snack right now, haha) so it would frsutrate me when friends who were doing MFP with me at work would eat teensy meals and I'm restraining myself to go back for seconds.
    I half believe the "I'm full" thing. I know some people who eat lightly, but I do know others who can eat like me and arr lying to themselves. It's the ones who are lying to themselves who make me so crazy....but whatevs, it's their body not mine.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It happens from time to time. And other days I'm famished all day and 1250 seems like nothing.

I didn't gain weight eating because I was hungry. I ate because I was bored, upset or it just tasted good. Seldom did I actually feel hunger.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I eat when I"m hungry, stop when I'm not. Plus I cut out snacking and the need to have something in my mouth. So if it ends up being 800-1000 cals a day then so be it. I'm not going to overdo it just to make a few strangers happy.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    All of you make a pretty good point. I get the part about eating
    Healthier and resulting in lower calories but what about the people that eat relatively healthy
    And they start dieting and are full off a severely low amount. People that have 60lbs to lose
    should not be eating that little.

I think it is partially due to "starvation" mode. You suddenly create a large or even moderate calorie deficit, and your body (I think at least in some cases) clings to energy / fat stores for as long as possible because there is suddenly less going in than there was. This could be a reason why people who are only starting out start to feel full on smaller amounts of food. Just a theory though. :) I'm not a scientist or a nutritionist, so don't take what I say too seriously. lol
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was a boredom and compulsive eater. I would snack whenever I was doing nothing, even though I wasn't hungry, and when I had a plate of food, I would fill it way too full and be unable to stop eating until my plate was cleared, even though I was way past being stuffed and would feel sick afterwards.

I'm learning to be more mindful of my choices as well as my eating patterns, so that whe nI am eating, I choose far healthier options. I've also upped my intake of fresh fruit and veg which is far lower in calories that the cheese and chocolate I would binge on before. I also no longer clear my plate if Im' full before I'm done.

As a result, my calorie intake is lower than it used to be.

I'm only just now beginning to be able to eat back some of my exercise calories, but I refuse to eat something high in calorie and fat that is unhealthy just to fill an arbitrary number. As a result, my gross calorie intake is usually well over 1200 calories, but my net intake is often lower than that once my exercise cals have been taken back off.

I can honestly say I never leave myself hungry because I know if I do, I'll be more likely to go on a binge.
  • hannp
    hannp Posts: 34
    Options
    The reason I got overweight is due to eating when i was bored. Im a student so have a lot of free hours where I sit get bored and eat. Of course the nearest thing had to be chocoltae or biscuits etc. Now that im trying to lose weight im stricter on myself i drink water when i get bored or find an activity to do. As for the 800 calories it fills me up. Its really easy to eat under it. Heaps of fruit and veges, wholegrain toast. Cutting out on cheese and things like that. I understand your viewpoint but for me 800 is plenty. Dinner tonight was a huge burger filled with chicken, lettuce, carrot, tomato, but in total came to just 210 calories.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I don't get hungry often! But, that being said, I try my best to get in all the calories, and eat back my exercise calories... there's a reason why I am fat ... not eating regular meals because I'm hardly ever hungry, then eating too much of the wrong things at the wrong times when I do decide to eat, and drinking too much. I have often gone for more than a day only drinking coffee and forgetting to eat... Sad, but true.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, but usually it's closer to 1000 calories. If I'm eating mostly vegetables and other healthy items all day, it just doesn't add up to 1200. This includes regular meals with healthy snacks in between (carrots or something). I think the only time I go close or over is when I have a lot of carbs that day.

If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat more just to get to a specific number.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm sick, I never eat less then 1000 per day. I try and keep myself at about 1200
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    I used to eat pounds of pasta a day and still be hungry. I would only be full for a couple hours then want more. Now I am eating less calorie foods and eating more of them and finding myself full. I eat between 900 and 1200 calories a day BEFORE exercise. I always eat until I am full and I always eat or drink when I get hungry. I tried to force myself to eat back calories and eat past when I got full and it made me sick so no matter what people say I will not do it again. My body will tell me when I need more or wont need more.

I do see a lot of people who wont friend people or delete people when they see them eating under 1200 net calories. Do you guys really think this is the right solution? Aren't we all here to help one another? I would think when we see someone doing something like this it would give us the opportunity to lend a helping hand and advice or at the very minimum find out if everything is alright with them and see why they are doing whatever you don't like. Why do we join a site if we are not willing to help those who are helping us? It makes no sense to me at all.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . So if it ends up being 800-1000 cals a day then so be it. I'm not going to overdo it just to make a few strangers happy.

it wouldnt be to make a few strangers happy. it would be to take proper care of your body.
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    I only just started on MFP and I can't imagine being full on 800 calories. I mean staying under 1400 right now is a challenge. I suspect it's because my body isn't used to a diet yet. I hope it'll get better as I go.
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I kind of have to agree with the op. I think people confuse calories with feeling full. I believe people should not starve themselves, but I don't believe that people can't eat at least the minimum calories. 1 tablespoons olive oil on a salad for example, or a regular yogurt. I have done all kinds of stupid things on my weight loss journey, I'm just now understanding that I was lucky to not have totally screwed up my metabolism by eating too little for a long time. At one time I was eating as low as 700 calories, now I eat about 2500. It's not that hard to increase ones calories if you just eat higher calorie food and by doing this, you won't feel extra full.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can get to the end of the day and realise I've only had 900 calories... I have a busy, stressful job and I take a packed lunch and have porridge for breakfast. If I am busy I wont remember to snack, so if I have had quite a low calorie dinner when I come to log it I realise that I still need to have about 600 calories to get to my target. If I have had Zumba that evening or something else that means I am out of the house I usually keep some emergency kit-kats in the house just to bump up my calories as I can end up netting something ridiculous like 300 calories after I've logged the exercise.

At no point have I ever felt hungrier than usual, the food I eat now is better for the body so if anything I find myself less hungry on 900 calories than on 2000 pre-diet! I ate no more pre-diet, just fattier foods, and I drank a lot of Rose wine as well.

I'm not kidding myself, I just lead a busy life and make better food choices.
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It depends on the -type- of food they're eating. Fruits and vegetables take up a lot more space in our stomachs than most processed foods, and are usually way lower in calories as well. If someone is eating only clean foods, it's very possible that they can hardly make themselves eat 800 calories. If they're eating milkshakes and honey buns, they could easily go over 800 calories before lunch even rolls around.
  • gabimcd
    gabimcd Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey guys...

I really think that everyone is on here as part of their own journey and it really isn't for anyone to criticise or judge what they are eating or what they are not; we are all here to learn..or re-learn how to maintain both weight, health and exercise. It's not for anyone other than yourself to decide if you are hungry or not.

I usually eat about 800 cals per day and it is genuinely about AMOUNT and types of food....I see people on here that do sucessfully reach their 1,200 or 1,500 mark which is fab but with the help of a McDonalds or other take out food which is massively high in other nutirents. I have always been a small eater but very unhealthy i.e. a bag of crisps or two for breakfast and small portion of chips for lunch; its not a lot but its high fat, high cal and high carb...now I can eat double the amount for much less of the bad stuff and it keeps me fuller for longer.

I started this as in December I spent some time in hospital and was bedbound after an op...this led me to gain about 20lb and although this by no means made me largely overweight, it just wasn't me when I looked in the mirror and my goal currently is to get back to the old me and to be much healthier.

Feel free to slate me for this comment but I truely people that everyones journey is unique and no one is perfect at all this.

Gx