Swollen

Options

Replies

• blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest, that does not sound like water retention or weight gain to me. Especially if you have been travelling. If you don't have anyone else to call - look in the phone book and see if there is a first nurse or other after hours phone service!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor. If it was just water retention, it would be more evenly distributed.

It could be nothing but there is a distinct possibility it could be something really bad. It's worth the trip to Urgent Care if you don't want to go to the Emergency.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think that you should present yourself to the ER. If you have recently been on a flight and are overweight you could be at risk for a clot. Is your leg red, warm/hot, swollen and sore? Do not massage the area as that could dislodge the clot, if that is the problem. The other possibility is cellulitis, does the skin of your lower leg look like an orange peel. If so then it may be an infection and again I would present yourself to the ER. The last possibility is that you simply have over done it on your vacation and have swollen legs but generally they would both be swollen at the same time.

I agree - You should be going to the ER STAT!!!!!!

Swelling in the legs could be a LOT of stuff:

-Blood Clot (others mentioned this)

- Heart Failure

- Kidney Failure (I know from experience from my mom, when her kidneys failed, she also had congestive heart failure)

- Cellulitis (poster above mentioned this)

-Hypothyroidism (this one doesn't need ER attention, but does require medical attention)

This is just to name a few!!!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My legs are not red or shiny. My thighs look like an orange peel but not my calves. My legs are not hot either. The only pain I have is my right ankle bone when I rotate my ankle. I looked up Compartment Syndrome and it kind of fits but not really. I will see how they look tonight after I get home and if they still look bad I will go to the ER, if they look any better I will call my Doc in the a.m. My doctor said I have arhtritis in my knees and that he has never had so much trouble injecting the steroid as he did with me that day (it took like 8 tries) he said I have so much fiber build up. I have an appt to get an xray on my knee. Maybe this is where the problem is coming from???? It was kind of funny actually because he asked me if I was an athlete!!! I just laughed and said, "Yeah, I'm an athlete, that's why I weigh over 200 lbs!"... He said I have the knees of an athlete. Who knew??????? :laugh:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    steroids reduce swelling and inflammation. all that poking around could have caused minor internal bleeding that could cause a clot! the pressure in an airplane cabin can cause terrible things in your body! A traveling clot will look okay one minute, then swollen later every time it moves. Your choice, but it could be very serious..
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Please call your doctor or go to a clinic of some kind. Stop rationalizing things that it MIGHT be and go get checked out so you can know for sure. The people here are obviously very concerned about you, as am I. Go to the doctor. Now.
  • memaw66
    Options
    I wasn't on a plane. Just a ship.
  • memaw66
    Options
    There is an urgent care facility on my way home. I will stop in there and see what they have to say. Thanks guys. I will let you know when I get home.

Memaw
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Let us know if you are around in the morning! If it were me I would go to a hospital. not trying to be rude at all, you are a sweet lady, please get checked. oh thank god there is an urgent care on the way. let us know
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    My dad has horrible swelling in his legs also. Try to keep your legs elevated for a while. Did your doctor ever give you a water pill? It usually takes a while for his to go down. If you have hypertension etc you may want to limit your water because you can put too much strain on your kidneys.

Is there an on call doctor or nurse practitioner you can call. If your insurance will pay you could go to an express care facility?
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Swelling + pain = go to doctor. Could be a muscle strain, could be something very serious! When in doubt go to the doctor. My mom had a large pimple like bump on her leg that she thought was nothing. Luckily, when she took my Dad in for a Dr's appt, the dr noticed it because it a boil in serious need of being popped. Turned out be caused by an MRSA infection, which gone untreated could have caused serious health problems. So my advice is don't assume that just b/c you are trying to lose weight that everything your body does is a result of it. Call your doctor & let him decide if you need to come in or not.....
  • memaw66
    Options
    So I stopped at the Urgent Care place and I feel like it was a waste of $50. I know, I know, better safe than sorry but that doctor really didn't have any answers for me. He ran my blood work and said all was well. My blood pressure was a little elevated, they took it 2 times and both times it was 153/95. He couldn't tell me WHY I was swollen just said to take the water pills he prescribed and follow up w/my regular doctor at my next visit on the 28th. He pressed on my abdomen and said I may need a sonogram. That was it. No big deal. He said it could be the food from the ship but he can't say for sure. Could be the beginning of high blood pressure, yadda yadda yadda. I wasn't very impressed with him. Hopefully the water pills will help and nothing bad will happen.

Thanks for all of your concern. You are all very sweet!!

Memaw
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Just please watch it carefully and follow up with your primary care doctor. Sometimes it takes a visit or two to really find out what is going on! Take care!
  • memaw66
    Options
    Will do! And thanks again for all the concern. I remember when I saw my mom's feet all red and swollen and when I finally got her to the doctor they were amazed she was even alive!!! She died 9 months later. Don't want that to be me. She had lots of other problems but that certainly didn't help.
    I'm going to bed. I'll check back in in the AM. Have a wonderful evening all and stay healthy!!

Memaw
  • memaw66
    Options
    Swelling seems to have gone down a bit. But I woke up with a headache this morning. I will continue to monitor the situation. I'll keep you guys posted on any new developments.

Again, thanks for all the concern.

p.s.
    I am down 3lbs from yesterday!!! Water weight ??? That much in one day???

Memaw
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    My legs (especially the right one) have been swollen from the calf all the way down to my toes. It looks like I have little sausages attached to my feet. Not attractive at all. I thought it was from all the food I ate during our cruise and maybe from all the walking. Well, we have been back for 3 days now, I'm drinking lots of water (trying to flush any extra sodium out) (I don't add salt to my food but not sure how much was in the food on the cruise). How long should it take for the swelling to go down? Also, the week before we left I had a steroid injection in my right knee, could that have anything to do with it?
    Is there anything else I can do to get rid of he swelling? Sometimes it looks like it's going away and then an hour later it looks bad again. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Memaw

Edit: And for some reason, my right ankle really hurts when I rotate my foot (like when you try to pop your ankle bone, it is very painful) I haven't fallen or twisted it or anything???

try taking some ibuprofen for a few days. If there is no pain I personally wouldn't worry about it. But thats me.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    Swelling seems to have gone down a bit. But I woke up with a headache this morning. I will continue to monitor the situation. I'll keep you guys posted on any new developments.

p.s.

Memaw

i hope you are ok. IMO you dont want to mess around with unknown swelling...:flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    Options

p.s.

Memaw

i hope you are ok. IMO you dont want to mess around with unknown swelling...:flowerforyou:
    I know, that's why I went to the urgent care. I just wish I got a better impression from that doctor. He didn't put my mind at ease at ALL!!! Thanks for your care and concern. You are sweet!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Yes, Ive done 4 before. I did two yesterday and today.

Memaw
  • memaw66
    Options
    Cool. Now I am only 5 lbs away from pre-vacation weight.

Memaw