MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Good evening, runners!

Finished Couch to 5k week 7, day 2 today- another 25 minute run... in the rain :wink:

Towards the end of my run my lower back started to ache pretty badly:ohwell: . I have noticed before that it hurts a little bit when I first stop by jog and start my cool down walk, but it usually goes away by the time I am done. However, it hurt a bit more than usual today:grumble: . I tend to have a temperamental back to begin with- it hurts from time to time, so I'm not sure if it's that, or if something in my form needs to be improved... anyone have any thoughts? :huh: Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Hi gang!
    PT report.....no injury...YET.....but guess what I HAVE done?!?! Clue...it's a VERY common runner's problem! I have waaaayyyyy overdeveloped my quads...although I did get a very nice compliment on my *teardrop* above the knee! Woohoo!!! :bigsmile: Do you know how long I've wanted one of those!!! No amount of weight training has ever given me that definition before.
    SO, it's back to the weight room for hamstring curls, abductor/adductor strengthening,etc.

A little anatomy/physiology lesson today ....and it made so much sense...you know the shinbone's connected to the thigh bone????:laugh: Seriously, her explanations of how one imbalance leads to another and how even the sleep position I prefer pulls the pelvis all out of whack which tweaks the hip...etc.

Sooooo, my pass on lecture for my fellow runners.....make sure you are doing your stretching BEFORE and AFTER your runs! AND, don't forget there are a whole lot of leg/butt muscles and running really only focuses on quads. We MUST cross train! (and cycle doesn't really count either because it is another forward only motion)

I'm cleared to continue running, but am to focus intensely on my form.

My 2nd lecture :wink: if something is bothering you or hurting and lasts for more than a week...go get it checked out. I really could have wound up side lined for a loooonnnnggggg time if I'd ignored this, I would have gotten hurt, she assured me, it was only a matter of time!

Alright...999 things to do tonight...DD#1 heads to college Saturday and much to do !!!!

Stay safe everyone! Happy running!

Becky
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Becky--Congrats on the complement--that's enough to keep you running! Good for you going to the doctor BEFORE your injury was serious. Thanks for sharing the info.

I wonder if we could just run backwards to help the hamstrings? Hmmmm.....:tongue:

I know, I know, I need to cross train!

No run today, just more brush clearing. The hip is a little better. I am just trying to make sure it is well before I leave for Colorado next week--I absolutely LOVE to hike!

Nighty-night to all!
    Jodi
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Ran 2 miles today with my running partner. YAHOO! She's back! We were planning on 3 but we weren't feeling it so we ran the 2nd mile 1.5 minutes faster than the 1st. We aren't breaking any land records or anything but I think we're improving. I think I've convinced her to run 4 miles on Saturday. I hope I can hold up my end of the bargain.:wink:

Becky - Glad you're getting yourself taken care of. Congrats on your legs!

Have a good night everyone!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Today was a cross training day for me. I lifted weights, bicycled for 45 minutes, and did yoga. One thing that I think is really helping me stay injury free during training for the marathon is that I'm following a three run per week program with one speed run, one tempo run, and one long run. I'm also doing yoga every day (except days off), and crosstraining at least three other days per week doing a variety of activities, elliptical, weight lifting, bicycling, swimming, etc. I think it's helped keep me injury free so far (knock on wood):flowerforyou:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    5 more juicy miles for me this morning. it's been great to be able to log some miles and all, but i'm all for morning temps in the 70s and a little less humidity. happy running today all
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Finally got out there last night after almost two weeks not going out running cuz of humidity (it really kills my exercise induced asthma). Wasn't too bad last night so I went for a 2 mile jog...need to not go after a circuit training video...legs were like jello lol
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I wont be able to run with my group tonight since ex has a work meeting=no babysitter. So I figured out how to run six miles from my apartment to ex's house. Then I hopped in the car with him and the kids and he drove us back home! :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Last night my heel started to feel better, and I was crawling up the walls, so I figured I would ignore discretion and go for a light run with my group (I'm running a c25k group). Strangely enough, as soon as I put on my running shoes my planter fasciitis pain disappeared. It ended up being a wonderful run in light rain. Beautiful conditions. I know it was stupid to risk injury, but I never claimed to be intelligent :laugh:

Kgolovin, I know what you mean about the humidity. It easily halves my endurance - part of the reason I'm nervous about my 5k on the 23rd.
    Gustergirl, sounds like a fun run!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Last night my heel started to feel better, and I was crawling up the walls, so I figured I would ignore discretion and go for a light run with my group (I'm running a c25k group). Strangely enough, as soon as I put on my running shoes my planter fasciitis pain disappeared. It ended up being a wonderful run in light rain. Beautiful conditions. I know it was stupid to risk injury, but I never claimed to be intelligent :laugh:

Kgolovin, I know what you mean about the humidity. It easily halves my endurance - part of the reason I'm nervous about my 5k on the 23rd.
    Gustergirl, sounds like a fun run!

It's always the worst just starting out. Once the fascia warms up running it feels fine (I know, I marathon trained w/ PF!). It's usually worse in the morning after you've slept and the fascia has gotten cold and tight overnight. Glad you had a good run!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    5 mile run for me today. Overslept so it was a quick wake up and out the door in less than 10 min! :laugh: Took the first mile to wake up, then we pushed each mile faster so our last mile was the fastest (8:25 pace, nothing super speedy, just a nice run today!).

Have a good one!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Thursday to you all!

Here's what I was supposed to do today....
    8 mile speed workout -- warmup -- 4x1600m at 8:00 m with 800m jogs in between -- cool down. Looks good on paper -- however I am not the speed demon they would like me to be :mad:

Here's what I did...

2 mile warmup
    1600m @8:03 -- 800m jog
    1600m @ 8:00 -- 400m jog
    potty break :embarassed:
    400m jog -- then didn't feel I could do a whoel mile so I split it up (but still did the total:ohwell: )
    800m @ 8:00m -- 200m jog
    800m @ 8:00m -- 200m jog
    800m @ 8:00m -- 200m jog/walk/jog
    800m @ 8:00m -- 200m jog/walk

So does that still count:huh: Technically I did what was recommended -- just couldn't keep up the rocket pace. I'm the slow steady type -- these speed workouts are just plain tough!!! :grumble:

Oh -- when I was having knee pain I read that walking backwards would help build the muscles that help stabilize the knee. So you might be on to something...cause I stink at cross training. I know I should do it -- but I just love to run and the feeling I get (except on tempo/speed days:sad: ).

Becky -- hope you are feeling better -- and thanks for the knee bone/leg bone lesson.

Gustergirl -- way to fit in that run! Good job!!!

msarro -- glad you had a great pain free run -- and you'll finish that race no problem!:smokin:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, as soon as I put on my running shoes my planter fasciitis pain disappeared.

Actually, that's not too surprising. The typcial running shoe will give you more arch support than your average shoe / cross trainer, flip-flop. When I have signs of PF, I wear arch supports in my slippers around the house. Way better than going bare-foot or slippers alone.

Six mile tempo run this morning. MIle warm up, 4 miles at 8:15-8:30, cool down. Not super fast, but a good pace for me in this heat, so I am happy.
  • jabdye
    Options
    I look forward to the day when 8:15 is not super fast -- but since I check in at a towering 5'3" (and that's only cause I round up :blushing: ) I may never see that day......unless my legs grow a foot!!!! :noway: Crazier things have happened! I DID dance around at the end of a rainbow before my run -- who knows -- there may have been a leprechaun watching just waiting to give me my reward!!!
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Heck, I look forward to the day that just thinking about 8:15 doesn't make me want to pass out! I too am short (a mere 5'5"). I am mostly Irish and a redhead maybe I can see what I can do for you. I've never "cashed in" on the leprechaun thing but you never know.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, as soon as I put on my running shoes my planter fasciitis pain disappeared.

My foot doc actually told me to keep running or walking once I got my pronation in line and kept the PF warmed up it has been over a year since it has bothered me at all. He did tell me to quit wearing shoes that didn't offer any support, flip flops, sandals, slippers and to avoid being barefoot even at home.

Another 2.75 for me today. I am loving this new morning routine :love:
  • jabdye
    Options
    Alright Emmyleww -- it's a deal!!! I'll send you some good balance that will help you master the treadmill run -- and you can send me some height!!! :drinker: I love it when a plan comes together!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the day when 8:15 is not super fast -- but since I check in at a towering 5'3" (and that's only cause I round up :blushing: ) I may never see that day......unless my legs grow a foot!!!! :noway: Crazier things have happened! I DID dance around at the end of a rainbow before my run -- who knows -- there may have been a leprechaun watching just waiting to give me my reward!!!

Girl, I'm 5'8" and have long legs...and 8:15 isn't even my realm of possible. :laugh: But then, I used to say that about running and we see where I am now...

ETA: I can't believe I forgot to share this with y'all before, but I did...my sister is also a runner (sprints) and she has this quote as her Facebook status. LOVE IT.

"Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance … you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet. But when you are through, exhilarated and exhausted, at least for a moment everything seems right with the world" - The Essence of Running

I don't know if that is from a book or who it is by, (she just found it on a quotations page) but I thought it was awesome and hope y'all like it too.
  • Emmyleww
    Options
    Ahh, yes, it's all working out. Now I just have to remember that jig they taught me.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the day when 8:15 is not super fast

Speed is a relative thing. Just a few years ago, when I ran my first 5K, I was thrilled to beat 30 minutes. 12-18 months ago, I was really happy with 9 minute race pace, but you keep doing your track / interval work-outs, and you slowly reset your pace, and whittle down those times. My last 10K race was someting like 49:10, just faster than 8 minute pace. So,my shorter tempo runs are supposed to be around 8 minute pace and 8:15 doesn't quite cut it. Most of the 5 & 10K around here, I would have to run 7 minute pace or better just to get an age-group placing, so I still have a lot of work to do!